Dexcom Does it Again :-(

Our Dexcom transmitter just up and died 22 days after starting it, giving a Code 20 error and saying apply a new transmitter. Well that would be great if they allowed us to have more than one transmitter. Then to add a little insult to the injury they are only willing to replace it in 3-5 business days. Thanks Dexcom for that amazing customer service. Oh, and they also said we don’t have any more return envelopes so please hang onto the dead one until January when we will try and remember to send out a return envelope to figure out what went wrong. We love our Dexcom data and Control IQ, but man, do something about your customer service.

12 Likes

Wow. This is a pretty shocking change. I remember raving about Dexcom customer service not so long ago.

Btw, we are doing what many are doing now: We bought an extra Dexcom transmitter that we slipped into the rotation.

6 Likes

Yeah, that is a good idea. I think we are going to have to do that if this is the state of customer service.

1 Like

My doc prescribed another transmitter, so I always have one extra. It went through without an issue. I get mine with pharmacy benefits, so not sure if that helped.

Might give it a try.

6 Likes

Same here. We get two at a time. Sorry that’s happening, Chris.

4 Likes

That’s what happens when your shareholders (including executives) become more important than your customers.

What Kevin Sayer forgets is that Andy Rasdal built the company on customer service, not on CGM’s.

4 Likes

I was able to switch to pharmacy this year, and then also started 1 transmitter per fill. But previous orders from DME were 2 at a time, every 6 months.

When on Dexcom G4, transmitter was warranted 6 months, so orders were filled every 6 months. I think that may be why some DME set up G5, G6 that way.

Check for pharmacy, which may allow 90 day orders, and costco can have it ready for pickup in 1-2 days.

2 Likes

I know nothing about Andy, but how many customers did Dexcom have in 2007 vs 2020? Is that really :apple: &:tangerine: comparison?

I stared with Dexcom Seven and compared to today that product really sucked. But really not fair to compare the two.

I’ve said for awhile now that Dexcom would love and I believe they are close to offloading customer service to Walgreens and CVS and only be a device company and dealing only with distributors.

My two cents.

2 Likes

Andy Rasdal was the CEO of Dexcom from 2005-2008 I believe. He was great at fund raising for R&D and revolutionary in customer service. He built the customer base for an expensive device at a time insurance coverage was non existent for CGM. He realized that he was building a patient based company that would sell a life changing product.

And that’s why he was forced out.

4 Likes

Beyond greatful for that. Life changing technology!!

5 Likes

Pharmacy benefits seems like a vastly superior method… unfortunately it’s not an option for all

3 Likes

I had my doctor write an extra prescription for them to Costco. Last year I had trouble getting one to stay in it’s holder and Dexcom said they would send it overnight. Realizing that would be at least still a couple of days away and I was hooked on having one, I believe I taped it in at the time. It took over a week to get to me. First they didn’t even actually process it for 4 or 5 days, then it was sent 2 day air and that turned out to be 3 more days.

So I decided it was important enough for me to invest and buy one for a back up that I cycle through when I put on a new one. It was $159 with Costco and their drug membership program. Which ended up becoming useful when another one failed. I now have 2 back ups as one failed at 82 days and they sent a replacement for it too.

3 Likes

I’ve had the EXACT same experience with a transmitter (except for the envelope part). It was so frustrating to be without it for 5 days. That time the return envelope arrived before the replacement.
I’ve never had good customer service with them. Last week I went to put in a sensor and it wouldn’t release from the inserter. After I pulled the whole thing off and looked at it, it definitely was defective. There was no cannula visible. I called Dexcom and actually spoke with a person. I explained the situation and expressed my concern that the cannula might be in my skin. He put me on hold for 25 minutes. I gave up and called back. Had to go through the whole thing again. This time the rep I got knew what had happened and knew the workings of the inserter. He felt fairly confident that the cannula never went in but gave me instructions in case the site started getting red/irritated. I received the new one within 2 days. I was shocked how quick I got it. However, I have on my “to do” list to call them and ask for the return envelope. I guess I don’t need to do that now that I know they are out of them. This was one of the very few good experiences I have had with Dexcom customer service (the second rep).

2 Likes

My gut feel is their customer service started the downhill slide when they entered Medicare. Tough break on the transmitter dying. If you ever get desperate ask the community here, many of us keep two spares.

2 Likes

Yes, the failure to insert issue, is a known one. It can affect many units within a lot. We had one friend with 5 of those in a row. btw, if you hit it sharply with a wooden spoon, it sometimes inserts and then you don’t have to rip it off and call Dexcom.

5 Likes

Nice! I had forgotten this one.

1 Like