Dexcom direct to Apple Watch

I “think” this is entirely in the hands of Dexcom now (well and then the FDA). Apple already did their part with the series 3.

1 Like

I have S2 AW and I’m waiting to upgrade to S3 with LTE exactly for this reason. There are many scenarios where I’d like to leave my phone behind or in car and still be able to be reached by phone call, texts and emergency etc. Can’t do this if I’m still relying on my iPhone for Dex pass through.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if Dexcom “allows” both the watch and phone to be direct connected to the G5 transmitter.
Currently, they only “allow” a single smart device.

And I don’t buy the CEO’s explanation that it is because there are two bluetooth boards or whatever he says. I think the Dex CEO is a good business guy but I discount his technical knowledge.
(I would MUCH rather have a good business person as CEO and good techies working in Development - I think Dex is don’t it the right way.)

The “two bluetooth boards/channels” (or whatever language they use) doesn’t even make sense to me. On top of that, in order to switch a given G5 transmitter from one smart device to another smart device requires a Dexcom Support person to clear some sort of phone/transmitter information from their servers which seems to indicate the restriction is not really at the physical G5 transmitter.

2 Likes

I agree with all of your thoughts. I have not needed to do above (and I switch iOS devices constantly). I think the issue for most is restoring their new device from a backup. I do the same, but delete the Dex app.and reinstall and have zero issues.

2 Likes

@mikep
You can switch from one smart device to another on the same G5 transmitter with no problems?

Is this with the current version of the Dex Mobile App or are you reinstalling an older version?

@drwebber, welcome to the forum! We have a very active community of parents of T1 kids, it is GREAT to have you join us!

You may want to introduce yourself on the Welcome thread if you wish.

Yes. I’ve read before that people have needed to call Dexcom and have the transmitter “released” or something like that and I’ve never had to do it. I’ve even done it mid session.

-Transmitter paired with iPhone 1 and in session.
-Got ride of iPhone 1 and got new iPhone 2. Restored iPhone 2 from iPhone 1 backup.
-Delete Dex app on iPhone 2 and reinstall from app store.
-Pair transmitter which is attached to sensor with new iPhone 2.
-Voila!!! Start up happens and I’m good to go.

I’ve done this numerous times.

Oh and welcome to the forum!!!

1 Like

@mikep
Which version of the app?
The last time we tried to connect a second device with v1.7.3, it comes up with a very specific error message that leaves no doubt the issue is two smart devices.
But certainly we were doing not quite what you were. We tried to connect a second simultaneous phone.

I wonder if the “Delete Dex App” sends a signal to the Dex servers and removes the association at the server level?

If you try to attach another smart device without doing anything with the first smart device, you should immediately see the same error message which I refer to.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Apple Watch 1 and dexcom direct to watch

Following this post - we are a new diagnosis and intended on getting the Apple watch 3 for my 10 year old thinking it would communicate directly with the Dex.

Welcome @Mbernard623, unfortunately, I haven’t heard of anyone successfully connecting an Apple Watch directly to the Dexcom. The hold-up is apparently Dexcom needs to get a new version of their software approved for this to work.

We currently have my son connecting through his Iphone to his Apple watch (gen 2) and it works beautifully, and also allows his mother and I to follow his bg on the Share app.

Really glad you joined! You may want to introduce yourself in this thread:

I hope you find some great information, and more importantly share with us!

1 Like

Welcome, @Mbernard623!

I am sorry about your diagnosis :frowning: There are a lot of parents of CWDs here. My boy is 13, and was diagnosed 2 years ago.

I am really optimistic about the Apple Watch 3 also, and hoping they will get the software shipped soon. Many Apple users here, so the moment it is out in the wild we’ll have people here explaining how to do it. I am also hoping to give it to my son, although he seems strangely reluctant.

How old is yours? MDI or pump?

So this thread is 2 years old, but I’m wondering if anyone has heard anything about Dexcom allowing direct uploading to the Apple Watch, without the data going through the transmitter first? Would really love if SAmson had an easy way to track his blood sugar that did not give him access to the Internet, now that he can read and type and search for videos etc…
Or is this just total wishful thinking at this point?

1 Like

Vaporware, unfortunately.

1 Like

The CEO of Dexcom specifically addresses the direct to watch issues in this podcast. He starts talking about it at the 17 minute mark:

2 Likes

He basically says, “we’re still working on it”. Good news though of course it’s not helpful until it ships.

1 Like

The data has to go through transmitter. I think you mean direct to watch, without receiver/phone?

He explains that the ability to have the watch as the receiver is not an easy task to develop as many on here suggest. Having to go through the FDA for approval adds a whole list of other restrictions and requirements to the R&D process as well. You’re right, they are still working on it at least. His last statement on it was the most interesting. He says, it won’t ship until every patient has the transmitter with the ability to connect to the watch. If they got it out today, Dexcom wouldn’t allow it to be made public until everyone was using the latest transmitter which would take a year at least.

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult…seems pretty straightforward to me.

1 Like

Listen to the interview. He states very clearly why this won’t happen anytime soon. Having to idiot proof the system is another challenge