Dexcom and Meds or Supplements

Hey, there. I’ve just had my 3rd or 4th sensor funk out on me 4 or 5 days early in the last few months. I recently replaced the transmitter, so haven’t suspected that. Other than having to go through all the questions with the customer service rep, no complaints…Dexcom has been great about replacing them.
Here’s my question. They always ask if I’ve taken acetaminophen. I’ve not, so can’t speak to that, but I do take various supplements and occasionally CBD to help sleep. Anyone have any thoughts or related experience?

1 Like

I’ve found acetaminophen to make my G6 act wonky, especially makes it go high. Even though it’s not supposed to (supposed advantage of G6 vs G5). I have no doubt that other medicinals might also.

1 Like

Dexcom has asked me the same question. They told me they were just trying to monitor what might be causing the problem.

1 Like

Seens like a reasonable assumption.

2 Likes

When we built the things the common interference we tested with were Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Acetaminophen, Salycilic acid (aspirin), and Uric Acid. If your supplements don’t contain these you are probably fine. I can’t imagine CBD would have any effect on the sensor.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. So you shouldn’t take vitamin C if using Dex?

As long as you aren’t going crazy with the doses you should be fine. Ascorbic acid was the easiest to exclude with a decent coating. If you want to see if it has any effect, the next time you skip a meal take the Vitamin C dose and see if it changes the reading. If it is reading it your blood sugar will appear to go higher, but it will just be the Vitamin C being electro-oxidized on the sensor.

3 Likes

Interesting! Thanks.

1 Like

I’ve read about the warnings for acetomenphen, but I’ve taken it (regular dosage) and had no issues with it making my G6 go wacky. Have also used ibuprofen with no impact and regularly take Vit C with no obvious ill effects to the G6.

Recently read about how recent studies on Vit C have showed no benefits or detriments to colds etc, but for older people, particularly diabetics, that B complex and B12 have positive effects. Asked my regular doc (non-endo) and he wasn’t impressed one way or the other. Any comments from anyone with experience?

1 Like