Dairy-free, egg-free, low-carb with allergies

I find that cauliflower flavor is always there with cauliflower products, and sometimes to my palate that works really well (cauliflower pizza crusts, riced cauliflower), and sometimes less (cauliflower crackers and such always taste kinda weird/off to me). I think I would not like it in oatmeal, but could see it in a variant on cheese grits or such (though that wouldn’t be dairy free, just low carb).

I love cauliflower but it despises my GI system so I avoid it at all costs. But it seems like a good option these days because it’s everywhere and there are tons of delicious sounding recipes out there. I’m also totally fine with stuff that’s trying to be something else. Some people might not be. But I think @Jen probably is?

Come to think of it: It’s weird how culturally there are preconceived notions about how some food object is supposed to be. Like spaghetti is supposed to taste like X, and we need to make all other replacements as close to X as possible. Funny! Why couldn’t their be a new thing?!?

I’m guessing that the answer to my question lies somewhere in our biology, that we become accustom to a food and know it doesn’t make us sick, and we try to stick with things that remind us of that?

That made me chuckle, though I have the frozen stuff in my freezer I regrettably remember purchasing. I tried to like cauliflower - for itself - and I just can’t. The only way I have ever tolerated it in my entire life is raw dunked in copious amounts of ranch dressing. :laughing: The thought of it as oatmeal…I’d definitely have to not think of it as oatmeal to even attempt to taste it.

1 Like

I just made these low-carb, vegan meatballs because 1) I can’t find any commercially-available meatballs that I can eat, 2) I find working with raw meat absolutely revolting (even though I’ll eat it once cooked), and 3) I’m looking for things I can bring travelling that I don’t have to keep frozen or worry about if it happens to get too warm.

These are quite tasty!!! And super easy to make. Definitely something I’ll be doing again. Apparently you can also form them into burger patties, so I’m also going to give that a try.

I just ate a single one to try, but soon I’ll try them on some black bean spaghetti I bought. First to figure out how to make some tomato-free red sauce. I also stuck two of these meatballs in the freezer to see what happens to them (hopefully they freeze well!).

1 Like

Didn’t someone post a carrot based tomato-free sauce on here somewhere? (It’s this one, and I haven’t tried it, but it sounded good. I might try it this week as I’ve got all the stuff! https://detoxinista.com/tomato-less-marinara-sauce-nightshade-free-aip-friendly/)

I’m excited your meatballs worked! That’s rad! I’ve just shared the link with my friends! :smiley_cat:

Someone may have shared that…my to-make list is growing way too long to remember everything on it! I tried one of those carrot-and-beet sauces once last year and it tasted kinda like carrots to me. So I may try red pepper sauce. But I’ll give a different carrot recipe a try if that red pepper version doesn’t work out. I also want to find some hamburger buns that I can make.

I’ll admit, the “meatballs” were so tasty that I ate them all without even adding them to anything! Just plain. So yummy. I made another batch and this time also made two burger patties, and they turned out perfectly! I so can’t wait to try burgers!!! (I tried black bean burgers once, maybe mentioned on this thread even, and was not a fan. But these meatballs are so yummy and the patties surely taste the same.)

I’m going away for a two-and-a-half day work trip tomorrow and am (as usual) bringing all my own food. So my challenge will be to fit all this in a small suitcase and/or a shoulder bag (as we’re driving and the car is already stuffed with supplies we’ll need):

• Pre-made scrambled tofu (with tumeric)
  • Homemade “noatmeal” breakfast bars (no cauliflower this time!)
  • Defrosted frozen strawberries (as bringing frozen just tends to leak once it melts)
  • Container of coconut yogurt (to be topped with strawberries)
  • Container of pumpkin and sunflower seeds (for said yogurt)
  • Two frozen dinners from my freezer (pre-cooked chicken, quinoa, and butternut squash)
  • Apples for snacks
  • Larabars for snacks
  • Dark chocolate for snacks

And, I’ll admit…I’m bringing all the meatballs I made for snacks. :rofl: They’re just SO good! And I have a million zucchini in my fridge that I have to use up (accidentally ordered too many on online grocery delivery), so I can make more as soon as I get home.

I LOVE having my Hot Logic Mini with me. It makes things like bringing the frozen dinners possible, as well as heating up the tofu scramble without using a microwave that may have been used for a baked potato… I can’t imagine travelling without it.

1 Like

It’s not a tomato sauce, but my partner makes a cherry-based tomato-free bbq sauce that’s delicious. If that’s of interest, let me know, and I’ll get the recipe. It definitely has some cherry flavor to it, but it works really well!

For tomato sauce, I learned that yellow and green tomatoes are way lower in histamines than red, so she made a couple of big batches of yellow tomato sauce. I call it golden sauce, because it’s this beautiful color, and it tastes amazing and I can tolerate it fine it seems. She’s Italian, so figuring that one out was a huge relief in our house, ha.

2 Likes

I like the carrot AND red pepper idea. The red pepper would mask the carrot somewhat. You’d need some emulsifier component - I normally use heavy cream, but that won’t work for you. Maybe a cashew cream with the red pepper added? Yum! Sounds good!

I had to look it up but that thing is AMAZING. What a neat thing! Jen, you’re so resourceful and full of good suggestions!

And @cardamom the info about lower histamines in yellow tomatoes is fascinating. Glad you two came up with something that works! I’ll have to try it if I come across yellow tomatoes next year!

This is not low carb. But I’m going to try it with stevia (or monk fruit) and bittersweet chocolate. Looks so good!

2 Likes

I’m slowly building up my repertoire of successful recipes. I’ve FINALLY found a bun recipe that’s amazing! I made fully vegan, fully homemade, low-carb hamburgers last night and today is a not-so-vegan chicken sandwich. These buns hold together very well and freeze well, too! I’m going to be making this same recipe again today except with pumpkin seed flour instead of almond flour (so I can take it in schools and on planes). These will be a great option for sandwiches to bring in lunches, something I have really, really, really missed being able to do.

I’m curious what kind of psyllium husk you use - what brand? I know options may differ between US/Canada, but just curious. The one time I’ve used it, the result was disgusting (horribly gummy). I wasn’t sure then if it was the recipe, the psyllium husk, baker error, or a combination of those, but I’ve not been brave enough to attempt anything with it since.

I think things can become disgusting and gummy with psyllium husk if too much is used. I’ve never used more than about two tablespoons in a recipe. Also, there is a BIG difference between psyllium husks and psyllium husk powder, and the two aren’t interchangeable. So if something called for psyllium husks and you used psyllium husk powder, you’d end up with way too much and it could easily ruin the recipe.

I think the brand I have is New Path Foods, or something like that. I just bought it at Whole Foods. I couldn’t find any manufacturer contact information, so it’s one of the few manufacturers I haven’t contacted to ask about things like cross-contamination.

I believe Now Foods makes psyllium husk, and they may be better about things like knowing if their products are gluten-free. Unfortunately, since potato isn’t tracked and can’t be tested for like common allergens, they weren’t able to provide any information in that regard for me except for the fact that they do process some products with potato and cross-contamination was a possibility, so I generally avoid their products. (I do sometimes use their dextrose powder to treat stubborn middle-of-the-night lows, because they explicitly state that it’s derived form corn, and I can’t find any alternative to that product.)