Dairy-free, egg-free, low-carb with allergies

Hmm, never mind on the almonds/bananas question, then. The baked good recipes I had success with while completely egg free all had bananas. :slightly_frowning_face:

I definitely can’t do scrambled eggs or anything like that. I can’t even doing baked goods that are primarily eggy like coconut flour based recipes, though I’ve discovered a mild intolerance to coconut, so it might be that rather than the eggs…

I do understand being hesitant to try anything when you’ve had negative reactions! I’m too afraid to trial avocados right now. I think I know the issue, and it shouldn’t bother me if I eat small portions (like 1/4 avocado), but I haven’t tried it yet, because I just don’t want to be that sick, and it’s just for one day. I can’t even imagine reacting for a month.

I’m drooling a little over that ricotta recipe. :heart_eyes: Thank you for sharing!

Here’s a recipe for egg free salmon patties I’ve tried recently that was really good - even my husband, who is pretty selective about substitutions, raved about them.
Salmon patty recipe

And I’m always looking for mug cake recipes - I think I prefer the texture without eggs.
Vegan mug cake

1 Like

Wow! Those do sound like good motivations! Go Jen!

I’m sorry about the frustrations of excellent diet compliance and unpredictable BG numbers due to hormones. I think that there’s a connection between POTS/ITS and hormones too - at least for my friend there is. And it’s frustrating because there’s no changing that hormone thing from the outside that I know of. :slightly_frowning_face: But it sounds like your hard work is paying off in other ways and some things are easier.

Also I’m laughing about chia pudding and your delivery of the line about not loving it. Cracked me up. Is there another easy breakfast that you could add into the mix?

It sound like you’re doing a great job sticking to your plan! I’m sorry about the hormones but I’m inspired otherwise!

I can do a small amount but a ton of coconut milk makes me super sick. You’re not alone.

Also, @Jen I kept reading and am stoked for your pizza success!!

So not sure if this will help you guys, but a few years ago I thought I was developing a coconut intolerance. I did some research, and it turns out coconut is a mild laxative. Therefore, lots of people have issues if they eat a lot of it and aren’t used to it. Since I’ve learned that and switched over to almond milk, all my problems have gone away even though I still use coconut flour and coconut oil and coconut shreds daily. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I think my problem is closer to that. I’ve realized recently that all of my food reactions (that aren’t celiac-related) are to high FODMAP foods/portions of foods. I likely will have to do a low FODMAP diet at some point, but…I like garlic too much to try it right now. :slightly_smiling_face:

I found almond milk ricotta cheese (Kite Hill brand) at our local salvage store today, and thanks to your post, @Jen, I made a pizza. SO good! Now I have to decide what to use the rest of the cheese for…so many choices, not enough ricotta. :laughing:

2 Likes

How low carb are you talking, @Jen? I made us some gluten free, vegan pasta tonight that was very high in fiber, making the overall carb count around 20-something grams per serving?? Too high?? I took pictures of the boxes if it’s not out of your ballpark…

1 Like

Another motivator for me to eat low-carb is that my stomach is much happier. I mean, my stomach was unhappy enough on a regular diet that I was prescribed IBS medication… On low-carb, the only time I’ve had tummy troubles was the one day I ate cereal and popcorn. :slight_smile: Though, on the downside, I feel like there’s something triggering my EOE lately. Nothing major, but having a sore throat, what feels like acid reflux (but isn’t), and having to swallow a bunch of times to get food to go down is no fun, so I’d like to figure out what the cause is and hope it’s not something like cauliflower.

My general rule so far has been that I’m not eating anything made from rice, quinoa, corn, or oats, beans/lentils, fruit, and sugar. Otherwise, I don’t really have a limit. Yesterday at dinner I ate 24 g of carbs, but about 16 g of that was fibre. So I’d say 10-15 g of net carbs if I had to guess, but I’m not really counting (I don’t use the bolus calculator on my pump, I just bolus what I think I need to monitor and adjust as needed).

3 Likes

Dang… no lentils… and that means chickpeas??

For now, yes. I doubt I’ll keep this super-low-carb thing up forever, but I really need to lose weight. I do have chickpea flour sitting around here, too. Once I get to my goal weight (a loooong way off…) I’ll eat small amounts of lentils, I think, because they are so convenient.

2 Likes

I’m checking labels for you… or at least I’m keeping you in mind when I check labels. Whichever sounds less weird. I have to tell you you’ve got a tough combo.

My middle one, the one with “no allergies” :roll_eyes:, has just been diagnosed with EOE. We’re doing the 2 Elimination diet, which knocks out gluten and milk. We were told those are the two most common contributors. He also might have a thing with coconut. Something. Anyway… Back to looking at the labels…

1 Like

Oh no! I have read that EOE is on the rise. You have another child with EOE, too, don’t you? :frowning: I’ve read that milk and wheat are the top two triggers, followed by egg and soy. I think I may have a few other minor triggers, but I have so many weird and random reactions it’s sometimes it’s honestly hard to tell…

2 Likes

By the way, I don’t think this is odd at all. I keep an eye out for things for friends of mine also have allergies, and vice versa. Us allergy people have to stick together.

I find the hardest part for me is that every single company I contact (or at least the vast majority) respond with something like, “Our product doesn’t contain potato, but it’s processed in a facility that contains potato, and we don’t track potato as an allergen so there’s a chance of cross-contamination.” Then it’s basically up to me if I want to eat something with a chance of cross-contamination, which generally you’re not supposed to do if you have anaphylactic allergies, or omit entire product lines and most everything processed because potato is so common everywhere.

2 Likes

So sorry. :frowning_face: Sometimes it feels like you figure one thing out just in time for something else to go crazy.

And sorry, @Nickyghaleb for the new diagnosis. :cry:

1 Like

Ha! I wonder if it was the same kind of “research” I was doing (like a quarter of a can of coconut milk a day and a lot of trips to the loo)? :rofl: Although in all seriousness I would buy that in a minute.

Also, I haven’t tried this, but it’s on my list and a few commenters said they made them using flax eggs and it was a success - although they were a bit crumbly. Not sure if that helps, but it’s an almond flour base and they sounded good:

LOL. No, this was reading website research. :rofl:

1 Like

That kind of research is much kinder to the stomach, let me tell you.

2 Likes

Although…what got me to do the reading-website type of research is from the previous type of research you mentioned… :rofl:

Ha! Well that makes sense I suppose.

Occasionally, it bugs me that I can’t do enough research to figure out stuff before it happens. And I’ve had enough moments with stuff that everyone else can use fine, that I can’t. So sometimes hands-on research is required (no, seriously, that lotion makes me look like I’ve got a beard made out of bumps, no matter how good it’s supposed to be!)

But it’s good to have a laugh about it once it’s resolved I suppose. :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

Yeah, research or just trial-and-error. :roll_eyes:

I was just thinking the other day that it boggles my mind how many companies I email about food or products. I mean, I’ve probably emailed a hundred or more over the past year. Crazy when most people may never contact a company in their life.

1 Like

Not that you’ve not done this or already thought of it, OR that you have time…

But I wonder if you could make some publicly accessible document online that has your gathered information in it? I am positive that it could help other folks too. :slight_smile: