Daily basal reminder

It’s just a pen cap with a built in timer. It resets to zero after it’s been off the pen for a few seconds—long enough that you can open the cap to see how much is in it without resetting it—- but not long enough that you could take an injection without it resetting.

No buttons, no settings, just a stopwatch… sometimes the best inventions are the most simple

2 Likes

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing… this is just a cap that goes on the insulin pen with a timer on it

I do all of these things regularly, and I don’t see any of them as problematic. Also yeah, not sure you’re thinking of the same thing, since Timesulin doesn’t get in the way of reusing needle tips.

oh no; now i’ve admitted to my negligence. D police, please dont come after me and shoot me down :wink:

1 Like

dont know if i’m on the same page, but while i was using insulin pens, i rarely changed out the needle. i just left it in there until the insulin was finished or the needle was no longer sharp and began to cause pain. ee-gads.

2 Likes

Yeah I change mine out for my Humalog every few days I think (but that’s a lot of injections) and probably my Tresiba once every week or two. Sometimes I can tell I might have messed up the needle a bit and I’ll do it sooner, or if it hurts more. They definitely don’t hold up as long as lancets, but also def do not need to be changed every time. I don’t think that should be seen as problematic behavior, just practical behavior though.

3 Likes

i admit that i only change my lancet when it is not able to get any blood from my finger tip.

gosh, this is embarrassing. :wink:

3 Likes

I use a new one almost every time… sometimes if I think I’ll need a follow up I tske the pen needle off and set it on the counter in its cap and use the same one for follow up injection later but I never really leave it sitting around on the pen… maybe I should start

Pen needles have a lubricant on them… I can tell a big difference between even the first use and second use…

1 Like

okay, now i see that i am refering to the wrong info. i didnt see the pic when i was sharing my non-hygienic malpractices.

oops. :wink:

1 Like

I’m definitely not saying my way is good necessarily, but I don’t think it’s particularly bad. I agree that it would be more comfortable to use a fresh one each time, but apparently not enough of an increase in comfort to motivate me not to be lazy ha.

3 Likes

My son also uses his pen needles probably 6-8 times or more, until he starts feeling them unpleasantly (when they get too blunt).

It is quite useful on the road, becasue it means less supplies with us.

3 Likes

Do you guys leave the needle on the pen? Personally my concern is less with the hygiene aspect and more with the thought of leaving an open pathway into the insulin cartridge for a prolonged period of time

1 Like

I do. I don’t change my needle every time. I leave the needle on and cover it with the pen cap (not the needle cap). I change the needle around 1-2 tines per day for my bolus insulin- whenever it starts to seem blunt.

I’m a little lazy, and I think it’s a hassle to change it every time. If you’re already in the practice, you may want to keep doing it! Probably helps with scar tissue to change out the needle every time.

I’ve never had an infected injection site, and my insulin has always been effective for the amount of time it should be.

1 Like

I leave them on the pen and have been for many years, never had a problem. ]

2 Likes