COVID-19 Vaccine Info

@cardamom
I would prefer to get the mRNA one because it appears to be more effective. At least based on the initial testing.

Is there a valid reason that I could use to request this? Such as stating that a viral vectored vaccine might cause an adverse blood sugar reaction after the injection, compared to a mRNA vaccine that would not have such an impact?

(I am not really concerned with the BG impact, I just want to get the more effective vaccine.)

3 Likes

Yeah, that was my thinking too, re my preference. I get what you’re saying, but I can’t think of a justifiable reason, in part because I don’t think enough data exists on any of these for us to have a good idea of what to expect. I think your best bet is going to be to try to sign up when eligible on as many lists as you can, if there are places that will notify you when slots are available, and when you have a chance to get your appt you may have an option. For mine, I only had the option of Moderna, but you can tell the system is set up for you to have the option to choose if they have more than one type available, and you have to click a box next to the vaccine type in the process of selecting the appointment. So when you have the chance to sign up, if you don’t get an mRNA option, try different days/times to see if that changes anything. Someone whom I think went through the same system I did but got her first shot this week apparently got Pfizer, so at least some places are stocking multiple options, but doling them out on different dates.

4 Likes

you can’t really request a specific one. But if you’re getting one in the next month, it will be an mRNA vaccine for sure. My guess is that for the foreseeable future they’ll have very little J&J, in the low millions until April at least anyways.

Also, you have to take the efficacy in context; the J&J vaccine was tested against the South African variant, which is basically a “vaccine escape” mutant, and included a lot of people who are HIV positive (so immunocompromised). First off the efficacy was higher against the variants that are dominant here, and second off, we don’t know how the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines would do if tested against a population with a lot of HIV.

I’d take whichever shot you can get fastest. The odds are in the next year you’ll need a booster, so you can always upgrade.

Plus, if you’re already HAD COVID-19, I’m not sure how much difference that efficacy would make. You’ve already primed your immune system and any of these shots will essentially be “boosters”

3 Likes

Also J&J is likely going to be prioritized for: rural places, populations that are homebound or bedbound, or populations like the homeless, where you can’t rely on them to show up for a second shot, if that makes sense. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they roll it out in prisons. Anyways, not to say you won’t get the J&J offered to you, but it’s also likely that just by choosing where you get vaccinated, you may have a higher shot at the Moderna/Pfizer ones.

3 Likes

CVS / Wegmans and I believe some other chains are now rolling out the vaccines in select States, which is GREAT. The criteria in VA (I think this is the same for all States, but not positive), right now is anyone, 65+. Anyone that fits that criteria, make sure you check out those sites to see if you can get booked for your vaccines.

Here’s the link to CVS.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link, @ClaudnDaye

I checked it out. I am not anywhere near being able to get a shot yet. I am hoping at some point I will hear a schedule, like “We plan to move into the next phase by the date of …”

But right now there is no indication of any dates or plans.

2 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!

2 Likes

So as many here have already hypothesized, there seems to be some talk that our pandemic is going to change into an endemic where we will need nearly booster shots much like a flu shot. If true our days of mask wearinging are probably not coming to an end anytime soon. On the bright side vaccinations appear to be ramping up. Yay! Be safe everyone!

4 Likes