Second Covid booster?

Just heard on the news that CDC concludes the Covid booster wanes after about 4 months. I checked the general info on the CDC website and they are not (yet) recommending that we get a second booster. Since my 4 month date hits at end of February, curious if anybody has more info about availability/eligibility of this next booster.

7 Likes

I got the impression that 4 months was about how long antibody production lasted, so it’s not SARS specific - it’s a general observation for any infection. We only do flu vaccines once a year and even then that’s partly to handle emergence of new viruses that might, anyway, not be vulnerable to the same antibodies.

Influenza and SARS are probably going to end up on the same schedule - a vaccine once a year. It’s more controlled by manufacturing timescales than medical ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got the additional Pfizer booster yesterday and this time am having mild symptoms (achy joints, low fever, general punky feeling). I am needing more insulin, too, in contrast to the earlier Pfizer doses when my blood sugar ran a bit low. Yet another weird thing about diabetes…

6 Likes

I got the added Moderna booster last week and went through about one day of feeling semi-rundown. My BG trends have been chaotic lately so I could not see anything noticeably different due to the booster.

2 Likes

We got the fizzer on Friday, for the first time (Moderna x2, JnJ now Pfizer) and both experienced sore arms. I can’t say about insulin requirements because my insulin response is still utterly out-of-whack; the fizzer didn’t make any noticeable change.

So now we’ve had all three that are available in the US and all I can say is that they are all the same. But my card is full and I now have two digital certs (well, I will have when I download the new one).

I’m still inclined to wear a mask in Walmart, but on reflection I should have been doing that before COVID-19.

6 Likes

Is everyone’s PCP, Endo or etc. recommending the 2nd booster? I asked my rheumatologist and he kind of shrugged his shoulders, and said, “You’re eligible for it.” Don’t know if that’s a recommendation or not?
Opinions? Recommendations?

2 Likes

@Jan That was my PCP’s reaction as well. Hubby’s dr recommended him getting it, but that’s due to his being a high school teacher and “normal” health issues. We’ll be getting ours tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it won’t interfere with Easter’s festivities.

2 Likes

I got a second Moderna booster almost a week ago (no issues getting an appointment or the shot). Where I live, if you’re >50 , it seems like it’s up to the individual to decide to get it.

The pharmacist said this booster is a 1/2 dose whereas my first booster was a full dose. Very mild reaction for about 24 hrs including lower than normal BG (which is similar to my response to previous Covid shots).

3 Likes

I asked about the Pfizer dose because of this and was told that the Pfizer was full dose. Not sure whether that’s good or bad :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It won’t kill you. It’s one of Nietzsche’s aphorisms; approximately, “In war if it doesn’t kill you it makes you stronger.” It’s still a war, a planet wide one, being stronger doesn’t hurt.

3 Likes

@jbowler Thank you, you just made up my mind!

2 Likes

Thanks to one crazy individual we know at least one person can tolerate an insane number of Covid doses. This person was selling Covid vaccination cards with correct information, but in the process he took at least 90 doses (They aren’t sure the total number) of Covid vaccine from one site to get the stickers for the cards he was selling. That is some insane dedication.

5 Likes

Old thread, but still catching up. FWIW, I was required to get the boosters (I’ve had two so far) in order to renew my attorney ID so I can roam the Courthouse freely when required to make an in person appearance (most things are still done remotely, and I believe at this point they’ve done away with the requirement). While my reaction to the initial vax was relatively mild, I had a severe reaction to each of the boosters - 102.5F, which is a lot of fever for a 60+ year old man. I was sick. My doctor’s take was that the strong reaction meant that my immune system was in good shape and doing its thing at peak level. All I know is I was miserable for a week. Not looking forward to the next one. On the bright side, I’ve been exposed multiple times, but have never tested positive, so maybe it works.

4 Likes