Can Tea Consumption be a Safe and Effective Therapy Against Diabetes Mellitus-Induced Neurodegeneration?

I wanted to share this article:

As if we didn’t have enough to worry about:
“DM can trigger the onset of neurodegenerative diseases.” Next time, if my family member accuses me of having bad memory, I’ll tell them that I’m developing neurodegenerative disease.

3 Likes

I’ve actually been experimenting with whether drinking tea can lower BG, or help me achieve better BG. It’s not “scientific” because I didn’t have a “control”. However, it certainly has had a BG lowering effect. I only drink tea in the mornings, before I have my breakfast, after checking my fasting BG. I’ve noticed that on the days that I have tea, my post breakfast and pre lunch BG’s are mostly in the 70’s to 80’s. When I do not have tea, the post bkfst and pre lunch BG tend to run higher, in the 90’s. FYI - the tea are tea leaves, not Lipton. My in law from overseas mentioned to me that the tea has anti diabetic properties. I dismissed it at the time (assuming it’s similar to the apple cider vinegar, cinnamon claims of being anti diabetic.). While I will not go so far as to say that drinking tea alone will address BG management, it has made a difference. I will continue to experiment and update the group.

2 Likes

Asking to tease out the effects of tea would be quite difficult. i.e. there are so many compounds in a tea formulation that it boggles the mind. On the other hand, finding out that it works for you is price-less.

I have found the coffee discussions interesting, i.e some people it raises blood sugar, some it does nothing, and I am sure it lowers bg in others. It stands to reason that tea is probably similar.

What type/brand are you using? I will probably try an experiment with my highly hormonal teenager for weekend fun.

1 Like

I wholehearted concur because coffee/tea contain so many ingredients/nutrients and it could be the combination, or a substance that has not yet been determined or analyzed that could be beneficial to health.

I’ve tried green tea leaves, jasmine tea leaves. I have not found the Lipton teabag or the regular teabags to have had the same effect as the loose tea leaves. This is what I drink ( or whatever my in law brings me when they visit):

1 Like

Not sure I am going to be able to read the label or find a local source. Is it a Japanese green tea?

The photograph is of a box of Jasmine Tea from Taiwan. When I go to the “Asian grocery store” I purchase loose green tea leaves; not tea bags. It’s my understanding that the loose tea, packaged in something similar to coffee bean bags are the whole tea leaves, whereas, tea bags are made from, scraps and broken parts of the tea manufacturing process, therefore of inferior quality.

Here is a photo of the green tea that I’ve purchased from a nearby Japanese grocery store:

I’m experiencing uploading difficulties. I’m told that the file size is too large despite cropping, editting, reducing resolution and converting file from jpg to pdf. :frowning: The Japanese green tea, IIRC is Itoen, possibly JFC. The Chinese teas tend to be small brands.

2 Likes

So sorry! I don’t think one can upload more than 256k files to the site. I always shrink images to, typically, 800*600 in order to make it fit.

1 Like

I read the study with interest @lh378, thank you!

It’s too bad the conclusion is “more research is needed!” I would love to see some strong research to justify drinking more tea :slight_smile: It would not totally surprise me either.

One of the largest purveyors of tea is Ten Ren:

I searched tea leaves in the search box.

2 Likes