Retrospective research with junk science headlines: coffee

“Can Coffee or Tea Extend Survival With Diabetes?”

I hate clickbait, and junk science. This horrendous title makes the underlying study look like both!

We were just engaged in an interesting debate of retrospective vs prospective, and correlational vs. causal studies. This immediately brought to me this title that I recently saw jumping at me. How likely do you think it is that drinking coffee or tea will fight diabetes for you?

That said, the study is interesting. It shows a positive correlation between caffeine drinking and lower death rate for female PWDs. Not a causal link, of course.

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_168388.html

Certainly not a reason to increase caffeine consumption – but a good feeling about drinking a lot of it :slight_smile:

They have this discussion at TuD too. Except for the first reply not too many serious responses.

1 Like

Imho, it is a very poor idea to headline this kind of title: this is exactly what helps those purveyors of junk science – cinnamon, ginger, all these “natural” supplements that will “save” us from diabetes.

My naive mother forwards me an e-mail a week about all the supplements I could give my son to reverse his T1D. I love her but these people T me off, as do those who feature them.

2 Likes

well it certainly fights diabetes when I am super sleep deprived after a night of being up all night treating lows :slight_smile: Pretty sure that’s not what they meant though…

2 Likes

I’m afraid I would still drink it heartily even if the study said it would kill PWD’s.

5 Likes

If it can i will live essentially forever

3 Likes

Hey - I was serious !!!

Although perhaps nobody believed me.
lol

1 Like

Quote:

I told my boss in an emergency, the first step is me having a cup of coffee in front of me.

He looked at me like I was crazy. (I was serious.)

3 Likes

Well, then I’m toast, since I can’t drink caffeine! Y’all enjoy your nice, long, caffeinated lives. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Finally, something I’m doing perfectly!! :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Go ahead, have another cup! :coffee::smiley_cat:

2 Likes

https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_168388.html

The answer may depend on whether you're a man or a woman

I am going to go ahead and have the surgery, just to cover all of my bases.

4 Likes