Buying insulin while in Canada

@mike_g, some pharmacists don’t know that it does not require a prescription. I had to tell one and he needed to look it up. I think that is what happened to you.

1 Like

Most people get prescriptions because they have insurance and need a prescription for insurance to cover it. It is definitely OTC, you can just walk into any pharmacy and buy any insulin you want. No diabetes supplies in Canada require a prescription, you can buy a Dexcom, a pump, a Libre, Tresiba, needles, whatever you want as long as you pay!

2 Likes

Just know that if you are going to buy something crazy like 12 vials of insulin, you may need to call ahead so they can order it in.

When I was in Canada, for instance, I wanted 5 boxes of humalog pen vials, but they would only sell me two because they needed to have a minimum in-stock amount. They said they could get them all in, but it would take a day or two.

Or you could go to multiple pharmacies…

1 Like

Good thought on the call ahead. I called a different pharmacy just to get a different opinion. They will sell humalog vial and Levemir penfills OTC for $60 and $140, Canadian dollars ($46 and $108 USD). They did ask me to call ahead to make sure they’d have enough on hand.

2 Likes

Anyone know if Levemir is available in vials in Canada?

It is not far as I’m aware, only penfill cartridges and disposable pens.

Ok thanks. And what’s a good price for Levemir in CAD? Best I’ve encountered is $133 per box

@mike_g - My sons’s last levemir order was $133.56 CAD for 5 x 3ml penfill cartridges.

With today’s exchange rate that is $103.36 USD.

1 Like

Thanks!

That’s the standard price. FYI Costco is cheaper if you have a membership, it’s about $116 there.

1 Like

I’ve been through the maze of experiences getting insulin in Canada; I moved to SK from the US in May to get married, and arrived with a ~4 month supply of Humalog.

We are still in the middle of the spousal sponsored visa / citizenship application process and I’m not eligible for a health card, so am dependent on what I can get via my ACA plan. My friend renting my home there found info on Import Requirements for Health Products under the Food and Drugs Act and its Regulations (GUI-0084) which says as a visitor to Canada (which technically I am), I could have a 90 day supply of prescription meds for personal use sent by mail. My friend did that for me in August, after I did my mail order refill sent to my US address. It took maybe 3 weeks to arrive.

That supply was running out this month, and we put through another order. But with a slow down in mail from the strike in Canada, knowing I have only enough insulin to get through maybe mid January, I started looking at info here on places to mail order.

I twice filled out the online form for Marks Marine pharmacy, but never heard back. I submitted an order for 3 vials to Diabetes Express but they canceled since the deliveries were slow, saying there were not shipping until after the new year.

On a whim, I just called our local Shoppers Express pharmacy, and was rather pleased to hear they can fill w/o prescription and am picking up 3 vials today of Humalog, for a total of CA$102. That’s an astounding price to me w/o insurance coverage, and while my 90 supply from the US w/ insurance was a bit cheaper, I pay ~$100 extra for shipping and import duties.

It’s so worth it to call different pharmacies and ask; I found no consistent information online.

3 Likes

You can just walk into any pharmacy and buy any insulin you want. The prices are all around the same, though some independent pharmacies charge a bit more in my experience and Costco is a bit cheaper. Pens are free if you buy penfill cartridges and glucometers are usually free if you buy test strips and fill out the registration card (also no prescription needed).

2 Likes

As Scotteric says, you do not need a prescription to buy insulin in Canada (though it helps if you want to claim the expense on insurance or taxes). As well, visitors to Canada, and foreigners resident in Canada or applying for residency status, are free to see Canadian doctors (for free) and get prescriptions. You do not need to order insulin or anything else online for shipping to the States only to have it reshipped to Canada.

1 Like

I don’t think visitors to Canada can see doctors for free. I have seen both at walk-in clinics and emergency people get charged if they don’t have a provincial health care card/number.

Then it may depend on the doctor (just like some charge for prescription renewals and others don’t, for instance). I know of a visitor who was not charged for an office appointment with a physician while here.

Hi,

Can you let me know where that pharmacy is located, and how much each item cost?

I’m doing research for own website. Any other info you can provide about your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith Parisella
Cheap Insulin Foundation
CheapInsulin org
keith@cheapinsulin org

Familaprix 23 Blvd Notre Dame Ouest

Stanstead, Quebec J0B 3E2

Canada.

I got 5 boxes of Lantus for about $600. In the US it would have been around 8 times that

If you call the pharmacy they will give prices on the phone

[EDIT personal info edited out]

2 Likes

The prices are pretty standard at the big chains (Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix, Rexall, London Drugs, Jean Coutu, etc.). Smaller/independent pharmacies sometimes charge more over the counter, and Costco is somewhat cheaper (eg. Around $117 for a box of 5 Levemir penfill cartridges vs. $130 elsewhere). Plus our dollar sucks, so these prices are even lower than they appear if you’re exchanging USD!

2 Likes

Actually, our dollar is pretty strong. Just because you pay more dollars than the euro price, that doesn’t mean the dollar is worth less. The raw euro price would be about 1.2 times of what the raw dollar price is. When you equalize due to exchange rate, the price is actually the same. In other words you can buy more with $1 than with €1. Don’t be fooled by exchange rates.

Oh, I meant the Canadian dollar is weak compared to your dollar, and there would be increased savings if you were to exchange American dollars for Canadian and buy insulin at significantly cheaper prices in Canadian dollars.

3 Likes