Bummed Out

Just got the results of my PFT back from my doc. The results were consistent with mild to moderate asthma responsive to inhaled albuterol.

Meaning that Afrezza for me is contraindicated.

Maybe I need to talk to @Eric about… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:frowning:

Would you use it anyway or rather not?

So sorry, @docslotnick! :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

@Thomas No, I would not use any drug for which I had a contraindication.

I have had some pretty severe bronchospasms, and they were worse than any hypoglycemic episodes I’ve had.

Back to the Stone Age for you;)

1 Like

@Sam The Stone Age for me was Regular and Lente

2 Likes

@docslotnick,
For someone who can inject anesthetics into the back of someone’s mouth, what I do is child’s play…

1 Like

Sorry to hear your lungs have vetoed your insulin offering!! I assume the asthma thing won’t be going away anytime soon?

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Doc. The good news is that the regular stuff is still good!

1 Like

Were you intending to use Afrezza as your primary quick-acting, or for occasional corrections? I’ve been having conversations with my endo, CDE, and respirologist about whether I’d be able to use Afrezza when I have asthma and a mildly reduced FEV1. Since it’s not in Canada yet, nobody’s totally up on it, but the impression I’m getting is that I might be able to use it for corrections only, but not as a primary insulin. The respirologist suggested that if I start on it, I get monthly spirometry for five or six months to determine whether it’s having any effect on the lungs.

So fingers crossed. But since Fiasp didn’t work out for me, and from the sounds of things Tresiba isn’t always the miracle tincture people hoped, and asthma and Afrezza don’t always get along, I can see myself a decade from now still using my trusty Humalog …

1 Like

Don’t know. I’ve had it for the past sixty years, but you never know :wink:

2 Likes

That seems like a reasonable approach !!!

1 Like

I wanted to use it for corrections, but my doc was encouraging me to use it as primary. He said that there is a higher incidence of insulin antibodies when using it with aspart. Not a likelihood, just a higher risk.

1 Like

I’ve started having the same problems, had a few severe bronchiospasms to where I couldn’t breath and it freaked me out! I’ve never had asthma but it seems to be triggered by Afrezza. So I’m in the same boat as you. I’m going to have a spiro test to see where I’m at since starting. Very scary stuff not being able to breath.

1 Like

That is really interesting! I’m going to see if I can find any research on that when I get back home. I find it impossible to use by itself (unless I had an unlimited supply to keep puffing away 2-3 times after meals, due to its short action time).

1 Like

@docslotnick, this is a real bummer! So sorry to read this! As always, I applaud your determination and attitude!

1 Like

I’m pretty much in this boat, too. I’m in Canada as well and have mild asthma and scarring on my lungs so I wouldn’t want to use Afrezza as a primary insulin but would be interested in giving it a try for occasional corrections to see if it causes any problems. Fiasp does work quite well for me, though, so it’s hard to say whether Afrezza will necessarily be better than the IM injections of Fiasp I’m already using.

2 Likes

I’ve never used fiasp so I can’t speak to its speed, but I’d be willing to bet that no injected bolus can ever match the dosing versatility of afrezza where all you need is to decide small medium or large with carb counting essentially pointless.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this.

1 Like

sorry to hear that - fingers crossed for an eye drop insulin or even maybe a suppositiory (ouch) - that gets into the blood stream really fast !

1 Like