Blood sugar insanity

Oh no! This is a bummer. For a moment, it sounded like things were getting a little bit more on track. I am sorry that you’re struggling with the highs and lows.

I hope that you will have some success in getting your hormone levels checked when you go back into the doctor.

Regarding the allergies, it sounds like you have both environmental and food allergy issues if I recall? I ask because I assume you’ve done an elimination diet and figured out all of the triggers and avoid them? There are a number of things that I cannot tolerate food-wise, and they really mess up my skin when I eat them. I was thinking if you could make sure that you’re not eating anything that’s giving you worse eczema/skin problems that require the heavier duty steroids, maybe that would help? It’s just an idea. And I know that you’re probably doing everything right at this point.

I can have bad allergies and I take Symbicort 200/6. In the past have also used Nasonex. Last week I wanted to blame the steroids for higher insulin resistance in the morning and evening after I take it - so I stopped for a few days and saw no difference in blood sugar. I am back on Symbicort them this week and have my basals dialed in nicely and I am keeping it below 8 mmol/l (144). So - my conclusion is that Symbicort has no significant effects on my blood sugar.

But when I am having bad allergies my BG goes wonky. I hypothesize that cortisol is the culprit but can’t prove it.

Well, the past 24 hours I’ve spent entirely in range, even with my basal backed off by 12 units and my ratios dropped. So that’s hormones for you. I’m now 99% sure that’s the cause. It’s really annoying. How is anyone supposed to keep up with changes in basal of 12-18 units over a matter of a day or two and similar changes in ratios?!

I did an elimination diet about three years ago, but my allergist at the time wasn’t great about giving me directions (and the issue we were doing it for isn’t as easy to check as eczema, so I was just guessing). So I’m avoiding foods I have obvious reactions to, but that’s it. I’ve been thinking about doing another one for the eczmea, because I’ve had it for two years non-stop, but it’s just so much work, and I don’t want to have to avoid even more foods. I’ve also asked my dermatologist about patch testing to see if I’m allergic to chemicals in the environment (which I think I am), but she wouldn’t refer me to someone who does that. It’s very frustrating. I have no doubt that I’m exposing myself to something I’m allergic to, I just don’t know what.

Yes, this is also what I’m thinking. I haven’t noticed consistency in the days I skip medication and how my blood sugar behaves. But I do tend to find when my allergies are bad (I have allergies 24/7, but there are times they hardly bother me and times I can hardly function) my body may act like it’s sick.

1 Like

My experience with steroids is you would have to skip more than one day to see a difference.

Is it possible that the inflammation on its own causes the initial wonkiness, which is then compounded by steroids?

1 Like

@Thomas, do you have experience with these medications? Or just with systemic steroids?

There’s a definite link between systemic steroids (pills) and disastrous effects on blood sugar (and nasty side effects). But, from what I can find in the literature, these “topical” steroid-based medications do not have such side effects and do not (with the exception of eye drops) seem to have a major impact on blood sugar, aside from anecdotal reports on diabetes forums. This would seem to line up with my experiences so far in being unable to discern any identifiable pattern of blood sugar control based on days I take or don’t take these medications…but you’re right that they can take a few days to build up, so probably take a few days to wear off. I’m not willing to stop for a few days, though, and basically make myself sick (it gives me the equivilent of a very severe cold = days off work).

However, it does make some sense that my body would treat allergies themselves the same as being sick. My immune system can’t tell the difference between dust mite poop and a dangerous virus. Therein lies my entire problem. So it makes sense that it would respond the same (blood sugar wise) to “fighting off” dust mite poop as it would to fighting off a dangerous virus. The unfortunate part is that from the perspective of my body, my immune system is always fighting off something, becuase no matter how much I try, I’m continually being exposed to something I’m allergic to (dust in the environment, pollen outside, animal dander on a coworker’s clothes, etc.).

And, even if the medication(s) did affect my blood sugar, since I’m using them basically year-round (as many do), wouldn’t I just get used to the new baseline and adjust my basal and bolus doses accordingly?

Just some musings on a Sunday morning. I woke up at 2.2 mmol/L last night, treated with 24 grams of glucose, and woke up at 2.4 mmol/L this morning. So, still in the process of lowering insulin doses. I think with the speed at which things changed just now it’s definitely hormones. It’s just figuring out how to keep up with that kind of extremely rapid change in doses (and this is with metformin, so sadly I’m not sure that’s helping).

1 Like

No - this was more of a general statement that in terms of steroids if wanting to know whether or not steroids are causing an impact, I think that a single day is not likely to prove either way.

Jen, i just read your posts, even though it is now well into december. i am so sorry for all your frustrations. i have Graves disease as well and i had to take Prednisone by mouth for about 3 years. it was a dirty mess. i dont know if you have gone through this, but i had the bulging eye disorder and was not able to see properly until 1.5 years after my radio-active iodine treatment. (at which point i went on synthroid). following that i was able to have corrective eye surgery, and now i just wear regular eye glasses.

but, not too long after that, i started going through menopause, and then my BGs were the worst i could have ever imagined. but, it did pass.

all i was able to do was the best that i could do. i was willing to try anything and everything, including acupuncture (which did help a lot).

keep up the good work. i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. take it one day at a time. thats all we really have anyway :sunny:

2 Likes

My turn for some insanity: CGM read 164 this morning, looks like dawn phenomenon. Wash hands, do a fingerstick, meter reads…236!! Rewash, recheck, the same result! Have given myself a correction and upped my basal. Time will tell if it’s a pump problem or something else. Aaarrrggghhh! :scream_cat:

3 Likes