Best meter on the planet

I just get my local pharmacy to give them to me for free.

Diabetes Express (a Canadian online pharmacy that I buy the Omnipod pods from) has a deal where you can get a free meter with 100 strips.

https://diabetesexpress.ca/collections/blood-glucose-meters-ketone-meters/products/contour-next-one-meter

2 Likes

Same. Picked up six of them for $10 each. Got tired of wondering where the meter was.

4 Likes

Thanks. I should have specified strips. I love diabetes express for the Bravo meter and strips but Contour Next strips appear to be at the maximum price there.

One Touch makes the absolute worst meters on the planet. my readings from one blood drop or from drops from different fingers were NEVER close to being accurate or ones that I would consider bolusing to. my sensor is closer even when it is lagging 15 minutes behind :rofl:. I use the Contour One meter as well, now, due to Eric’s strong recommendation a couple years back. not only is it well calibrated, it is accurate and in line with my A1cs. and, I find it only takes a little drop of blood if you barely touch your finger to the strip, just by holding it slightly under. :sunglasses:

PS: I buy my test strips from AMAZON. best bang for your buck!!!

1 Like

Contour next one. Hands down the best imo. Small and portable, very accurate.

1 Like

Well put @Sam. I heartily second those comments and could not agree more.

1 Like

2 things I hate about these studies/“news” articles:

1. like @Sam alluded to, they seem to generally test accuracy based on a blood glucose value of around 100. I want to know the accuracy of meter at 65 or 300 as well.

2. I rarely see a materials and methods section to tell me how many meters they tested. And they materials and methods I have seen, have never done a significant number of meters.

If 1 out of 5 meters that rolls off the line that day was crap, did the testers have one of the crappy ones or one of the good ones? More importantly, which one or ones do I have?

2 Likes

Made me chuckle! :smiling_face: I remember being at a conference decades back and one of the speakers commenting on “aging” years of having diabetes based on blood sample size. Most long timers still squeezing out huge hanging drops of blood, not used to advancement in meters with small blood sample sizes, and newer people squeezing out small drops.

2 Likes

At least they won’t get errors telling them to add more blood, which happens to me once in a while :grin:

1 Like

Hi Sam. The study details are at the bottom. They used 3 different clinical sites with at total of 1035 participants. The BG values tested just says they used samples greater than 100mg/dl. They did not give a glucose range.

Then at the bottom it gives a summary of the results of meters that passed (shown in green)- within 15mg/dl/ 91 readings out of 100.

Hopefully, this will help to improve the quality of glucometers, so that people with diabetes can trust their results.

This made me frustrated because the insurance companies dictate which meter that we get.

2 Likes

This true to a point, thankfully the Contour series of meters and strips is cheap enough on Amazon (US) for you to just pay out of pocket and it isn’t horribly more expensive than paying the strip copays.

3 Likes

Ha! No wonder @Eric loves it. He’s good at the finger poke - it reminds me of the wall by his treadmill. And @Chris You are SO right about the OneTouch Ultra.

That was our first insurance approved meter after diagnosis. EH was doing a ton of coding back then, tons of hands on keyboard time. His hands were falling apart. He successfully argued for the Freestyle Flash meter with insurance. That was the first insurance battle of our lives. Not the last. :rofl:

3 Likes