Best low treatment

That sounds about right to me for Smarties. I think the mini Sweet Tarts may be slightly higher density/carb.

1 Like

I like to use Smarties because they come in a roll of 15 that equals 6 g carbs. So 5 smarties = 2 g carb.
I find treatment with the recommended 15 g carb puts me too high. So with Smarties I can taylor the amount to the situation. 1roll or 6 g carb is just right.

5 Likes

Yep, 1 roll smarties, 6 grams CHO, will raise me 30pts in 10 minutes. Easy on the teeth, too.

5 Likes

I’ve been using Smarties, as above, but they’re not as fast for me as for some. I have to be really patient and wait before taking a second dose or I’ll shoot too high. I’ve also started to notice that depending on how many I have to take, I get a sore throat from I’m assuming acid reflux. I do have GERD. Any suggestions for fast candy that doesn’t cause reflux?

1 Like

How about jelly beans or Skittles? Are those okay?

1 Like

I’ll have to try them, thanks for the good ideas.

1 Like

Honey tends to be fast, and is also used to treat acid reflux. It’s not exactly portable, though, if that’s a criterion.

2 Likes

Skittles are a great option because they are 1 carb each. So you can get as exact as you want or need. We use skittles/smarties religiously for Liam.

2 Likes

Also the Kirkland Organic Fruit Jellies (from Cosco) seem to be good. They are like the Swedish Fish, but don’t have all of the color dyes. The big box contains portable packs of about 10 jellies, each pack is 17g carb. I always carry at least one pack with me and even if you open the pack, the remaining jellies seem to stay edible for quite some time. They are easy to eat and you don’t really have to chew them up if you are worried about keeping teeth clean (which I am!).

4 Likes

If what you are looking for is the very fastest of the fast, you want candy made specifically of dextrose (i.e., pure glucose), not sucrose/sugar (a molecule that is one glucose and one fructose bonded together, so requires a little more processing to break that bond before being absorbed). That said, the only candy I know of made from dextrose is the willy wonka brand stuff, all of which tends to have some citric acid or similar in it for tartness. Smarties might be the least tart of the bunch even. Not sure if other dextrose-based candies exist. I think for most people and most situations, other fat- and protein-free candies (like skittles) should probably still be quick enough though. I do see a tiny difference personally, but one that’s mostly negligible unless it’s a severe, still dropping low. I’d also say juice is the other quickest bet for fastest possible turnarounds (has pure fructose, is liquid), maybe even faster as long as you don’t have anything else in your stomach, and so I like having juice boxes around too.

4 Likes

Honey can be portable if you buy the honey sticks, if memory serves, each stick has about 4-6 carbs.

3 Likes

I’d never heard of 'em! Thanks!

1 Like

There’s always the children’s juice boxes. Apple or OJ or Grape. They’re pretty small and easy to toss in your bag, and they work immediately, well, almost immediately. But within 15 minutes you’re guarenteed to feel fit as a fiddle :grin:

4 Likes

I’ve not heard of these either. Definitely worth trying esp if they work fast.

1 Like

They don’t work faster than 100% Dextrose, but if you are having gut issues, then honey will work faster than many other options. Plus they taste good.

2 Likes

@Jan, I’ve been using jelly beans a lot lately, and I do have acid reflux issues - I wouldn’t think smarties are more acidic than jelly beans though, so I’m not sure if they would be better for you. I do avoid the coffee/chocolate flavored ones (for other reasons), so don’t have experience with those. Most of the time I just use glucose tablets to treat lows.

2 Likes

@Pianoplayer7008
I’m trying jelly beans now and they do not cause reflux like Smarties seem to for me.

3 Likes

@daisymae
I do keep the small apple juice boxes around, but they have 15 g carbs and I like to treat with about half that at first it or I spike too high.

2 Likes

That’s my go to portable treat for lows. They even taste good!

2 Likes

I know that they have a high carb count; I was actually referring to severe lows (40s and 30s). otherwise I am happy chewing on Gtabs which have 4gms each when, if I am not trending low quickly, they bring my BG up approx 20 points. very consistent and reliable.

1 Like