Basal-IQ Benefit / MDI

Not because it’s new and shiny. That’s really not it. I’m interested in seeing what it does, and I’m really comfortable with going back to just a regular pump when I’m done if it doesn’t work out.

…It does turn back into a regular pump, right?? Just no Control OR Basal-IQ??

Yes.

You can disable either the Basal-IQ or the Control-IQ.

What you cannot do is trivially switch back and forth between the Basal-IQ and Control-IQ.
(At least on the same pump.)

1 Like

Some day I’ll do something I regret. Of that I have no doubt. But for now, I’m flexible. I would like to give Control-IQ a shot when Auto Mode is still fresh on my mind. If it isn’t really for me, then I have a few options.

Plus, I got my 670G sitting up on my shelf… whenever I’m ready. :smiley:

My blunder. I thought we were talking about Basal-IQ and I said the wrong thing.

Thanks to Chris for straightening us out.

So if you’d all be so kind as to overlook the unnecessary Auto Mode rant… that someone left on the thread. :roll_eyes:

Yes, thanks, @Chris. Now if you could just get here faster next time. :smiley:

1 Like

I forgot one other aspect of the update of Control-IQ vs keeping Basal-IQ.

That would be the Tandem Mobile X2 App. Whatever they decide to call it.

The app requires an update to the X2 in order to connect.

In all probability, the update for the Mobile connectivity will be rolled in with the Control-IQ update. Just as the single X2 update from last Summer provided both the Basal-IQ functionality and the G6 connectivity (while removing the ability to connect to the G5), I expect the next X2 update will provide the Control-IQ functionality, enable the Mobile App connectivity and remove the Basal-IQ algorithm.

Meaning if one decides to stay on the Basal-IQ and not update to the Control-IQ algorithm (not yet released), that probably means an inability to use the Tandem Mobile App (not yet released).

1 Like

Probably the biggest items I will be quite happy to get with the Tandem Mobile App will be:

• Remote info (ie - for Parent) as to whether the X2 has stopped receiving G6 cgm data for any reason
  • When the Basal-IQ has kicked in
  • Current IOB
  • Extended Bolus still in effect

This would be enough info such that remotely when I am notified via Dexcom Follow of a low BG, the additional info from the Tandem X2 would let me know how big of a deal this is.

It is one thing to hit 65 with little to no IOB when the X2 has cgm data and the Basal-IQ has already been kicked in for 30 minutes. Just ignore it, wait it out, continue monitor and almost certainly this will resolve itself with zero intervention required.

It is something entirely different when the Dexcom alerts at 65 and the X2 has 6 units IOB, the Basal-IQ has not kicked in due to no cgm data being received at the X2 (for whatever reason). This clearly needs an immediate manual suspension on the pump coupled with fast carbs, possible change of activity (ie - if driving, pull over immediately) and continued monitoring to see where this goes.

As a remote parental follower of Dexcom currently, all I get right now is an alert at BG of 65. Past that, I get info manually via phone call or text message although sometimes that info might come through and sometimes it might not come through. Point being, having the pump info available for Parental viewing remotely will be super nice.

EDIT: I expect that the Tandem Mobile App will come bundled with the Control-IQ such that although the above is what would be nice to know RIGHT NOW, the reality is probably a bit different if as expected the Tandem Mobile App is providing information about Control-IQ behaviour although I expect the same level of ultimate information to be provided in terms of the two choices:

• Low BG - will resolve itself. No action required
  • Low BG - will not resolve itself. Action required

Which at the end of the day is what I am interested in as a parental followed.

3 Likes