Any suggestions for keeping a Dexcom G6 on during Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

I took BJJ before I was diagnosed back in grad school and had really liked it, so when my Krav Maga school opened up their BJJ class again I gave it a try. Well, as I had feared my 7-day-old Dexcom G6 got ripped off during rolling at the end. I can do the rest of the class fine without losing it (I’ve gone again since then) but I’d like to be able to do the entire class every time instead of just when it happens to be when I’m ready to put on a new sensor. Does anyone have any ideas for how to keep a G6 on during these very adverse circumstances? I wear my sensors on my “love handles”, which is right where they can get ripped off in the guard, but any other place I know of that I could put my sensor would be just as likely to get ripped off.

I do have SimPatches and I know they could help. I wasn’t using one at the time because I restart my sensors for a second week and I usually use the SimPatch during the second week when the adhesive starts to give out. I will try the SimPatch next time, but I don’t think it alone will keep the sensor on during real rolling given how much I sweat. So any additional suggestions anyone has would be appreciated.

3 Likes

My kids and I all practice BJJ and Muay Thai and have been since around 2011. We’re of course on a haitus right now due to Covid but once we are all vaccined up we’ll be hitting the mats again. Liam (my diabetic son) is much younger so naturally doesn’t go “as hard” as adults do so my advice may not be relevant to your circumstance whenever we know he’ll be doing BJJ/Muay Thai (he does both kids sessions 3 times per week), we make sure we use Skin Tac at the beginning of each sensor session as well as using the overpatch.

We only use his biceps and he doesn’t sweat like we do as adults either so anything you can do to remediate the sweat (put in a spot that doesn’t get as sweaty while rolling).

Also, this is not specific to diabetes but your rolling partners (if they’re a decent partner…this is what I always do) should be asking you if there is anything they should know before rolling with you…injuries, etc., I would use that time to just ask them to try to steer clear of putting their hands/feed/elbows/head/etc., near the sensor spot. I’ve rolled with diabetics before and the gentleman I rolled with told me this up front and I made every attempt to avoid that spot throughout our rounds together.

If you request someone watch out for a spot and they don’t…if they’re one of those kinds of guys or gals who says “let’s just go easy and “flow roll””, and then they proceed to try and smash you, it’s your right to just not roll with them again. Talk to the coach, explain what’s going on and this person is being a bad partner and just don’t roll with problem people again.

BJJ is all about helping your partner learn by showing them what they are doing wrong. lol…i.e., I tapped you with this Ezekiel choke because you left your neck wide open and weren’t guarding your neck…those types of things. But our goal is never to HURT our partners.

You may also try putting a clear piece of tape OVER TOP of the sensor during sparring sessions. If you wear it on your bicep, you can also find and wear things like the old school armbands over top of the sensor.

Hope that helps some. I’m happy to provide additional info if you have other specific questions.

Are rolling Gi or No-Gi (or both?)

3 Likes

I’ve been wearing G5 and G6 sensors during ice hockey for years. Back of bicep area seems to be the easiest to protect. I use multiple layers: skin tac, grif grip (I bought a roll and cut my own patches), skin tac over that and Opsite to protect the edges . My sensor is protected by pads though, so is only in danger of being ripped off when I remove my pads after games. I’d suggest Opsite over the top of a well taped sensor, seems to withstand getting drenched in sweat if used with skin tac.

2 Likes

BJJ consists of a lot of moves that can cause issues for ripping sensors if they’re not worn in just the right places. We do a lot of arm drags, forceful throwing of limbs one direction or another, squeezing, pulling and torquing/twisting of joints/bones (and clothing, if Gi is being worn) and all that really can wreak havoc on any “worn” thing…which is why no one I know wears watches, necklaces or anything affixed to their body outside of medical devices that they need.

Muay Thai is much easier on the body as far as folks getting up in your personal space, but it also causes you to sweat like a stuffed pig.

All those tape options that you do @John58 may be a great option/required by @bwschulz just to keep the damn thing from being ripped (or sweating) off.

4 Likes

They are good people and will watch out for injuries or specific spots, but I feel it would be unfair to a partner to rule out the entire guard and back positions that would threaten the sensor where I wear it. That seems like a bit much.

How does the bicep work for armlocks and chokes though? That seems like it might be worse.
By “clear tape over the top” to you mean a film like Tegaderm? I’ve got some of that and could use it over the SimPatch but it seems a little flimsy. Or do you mean a different kind of tape?

One other thing I tried a while ago was to 3D print a cover to fit over it that would smooth out the edges of the sensor so it wouldn’t get caught. My first attempts in PLA (very hard) were completely unusable, but I may want to revisit this idea in Ninjaflex or printing a mold to make a silicone cover. I think a silicone cover held down with Tegaderm might work.

We are rolling no-gi.
They do also have a Muay Thai class (or will eventually when it opens back up fully) and a sparring class and I’ve had the sensor kicked off with a round kick before, so I’m definitely looking for better sensor adhesion and protection.

4 Likes

Naturally these positions are critical to the success of your partners so i would not request entire portions of your body to be off limits. What i was more referring too is just pointing to the specific spot you are wearing your sensor on and just ask that they be aware of it and “try” not to put undue or unnecessary pressure on those spots with their feet, shins, hands, knees, head, etc. If you mention a specific site, you will find the good partners respect that… It also gives them an opportunity to try other things in those situations that they may not ordinarily do.

After a while you learn your partners “game” and unless they are working something else specifically, partners become predictable.

So for instance, if you have a partner that you know does lots of arm drags all the time for back control maybe just asking him not to arm drag you on whatever arm you have your sensor on, but the other arm/arm drag/direction is fair game.

Likewise, if you are wearing the sensor on your abdomen maybe just ask that they try to avoid that spot if they are doing something like a knee on belly for full guard pass.

If you are wearing on your thighs maybe ask partners to be cognizant of those specific spots when trying to pull a move like the butterfly lift to back take.

So, I’m not saying make an entire area off limits, just saying maybe mention where the device is specifically, and for them to keep that in mind when thinking of their “next move” (or executing the moves that you give them)

Just some specific examples to try and help define what i talking about.

I go out of my way to avoid specific spots that my partner requests… No matter the reason. If it’s important to my partner, it’s important to me.

These moves aren’t that stressful to sensors when worn on the biceps/triceps that I’ve observed.

So there should be a lot less sweating.

I mean directly over the sensor to help push that “bump” down so that it’s not snagged.

2 Likes

Thanks- I just ordered some skin tac to try it out. Can you inject the sensor through it or do you need to be careful about where you apply it?

Opsite is like Tegaderm, right? I’ve still got some of that I could try.

2 Likes

This lady gives a great method that may be worth trying

2 Likes

Thanks for the excellent video- I didn’t know you could put the skin tac directly onto the adhesive. That sure seems easier than trying to get it on your skin everywhere except where you inject the sensor.
I also like her sensor removal technique. I’ve gotten pretty good at “lockpicking” my sensor out with a used test strip but that card trick looks easier and I’ll need to give it a try the next time I restart one.

4 Likes

I think so but have never tried Tegaderm. The key for me is “locking it down” in case the edges get caught.

2 Likes

if you can move the sensor to your arm, an arm sleeve or shin guard sleeve over the taped sensor should help, it might take a little trial and error to find the right size

1 Like

I usually have my sensor on for about 25 days. I use Skin Tac on the adhesive (I use the bottle) wait for it to get tacky and then apply. Then I wait about another 15 minutes to make sure it dries because if it’s still wet and you insert the transmitter, you can disturb some of the sensor adhesive.

I do not apply Skin Tac over the top of the adhesive as I don’t use the overpatch. If you apply Skin Tac over the top without an overpatch it attracts dirt and gets very ucky looking. The overpatches didn’t work at all for me, they were as bad as the sensor adhesive for not staying on. But I never tried using Skin Tac on them too. That might just work and I might try it.

I snorkel out in the ocean for hours and the water likes to loosen the adhesive, the great thing about Skin Tac is I can touch up under the edges that start to come up with a q tip and more Skin Tac.

I have found a guitar pic placed into one side of the sensor/transmitter pops the transmitter right up and is really easy. You can get them really cheap on Amazon.

3 Likes

Using Skin Tac on my sensor as per this video and also on the SimPatch helped quite a bit- sensor has not fallen off yet during a class when I used both. But I also came up with something new that might help you or future readers of this thread: a Sugru sensor guard. I used several (5-7) Sugru packs (https://sugru.com/, but also available on Amazon and elsewhere) to mold a flexible “ramp” around my sensor to keep it from getting caught on anything sliding across it (see pic below). I mostly molded it around the sensor I was wearing, which was a mistake as this was too difficult to reach easily. It would work much better if you molded it around a sensor that had been removed on a flat surface to start with. First you need to cover the sensor with plastic wrap, which Sugru will not stick to, then combine the Sugru packets into a ball, roll it out into a long “snake”, then wrap the snake around the sensor and flatten out into your “ramp” shape. Smooth out fingerprints with a soapy fingertip, then remove the sensor (or not?) and let the Sugru cure while resting on something to give it the curve of your body where you normally wear your sensor. When cured (~24 hours) the plastic wrap should just peel off and you will have a custom, flexible & rubber-like sensor guard.

I held it down with a sheet of Tegaderm (but forgot to use Skin Tac) and it worked great for the first class I tried it on, but the edges of the Tegaderm had started peeling up so I removed it. It worked well, but if a tougher adhesive layer and Skin Tac were both used I think it would be damn near impossible to have a sensor pulled off during BJJ while using this.

5 Likes

Very creative use of sugru.

Hello jiujitsuka brothers and sisters,

I’d like to give you my solution for the dexcom staying out during very hard rounds.

I train 5-6 times per week with 3 session hard compo rounds. I was a little dubious about having a unit as it’s merely seconds to take finger bloods between rounds but I have it a go due to a clinical trial i took part in. Which was sponsored.

Firstly I haven’t tried this with any no Gi so haven’t came up with a solution for that but heres what works in the Gi which is all I’m really fused about anyways.

I use a skin tack wipe on the sensor itself letting it get tacky before applying.
I cover my entire site firstly with a IV cover cut exactly to the shape of the fabric pad. Diabetic nurse gave me a load of free tagaderms.

I put a waterproof dexcom patch on top of that.
To prevent the edges getting caught I make a bumper similar to the gent who used sugru snake to make a ramp. I use a thick cohesive bandage into a tube roll it up and wrap around the outside edge that sticks up above the edge and then tape it down with IV tape that my diabetic nurse also gave me.

I then wear spats ensuring the waistband sits directly on the dexcom, put rashguard over the top of that fasten pants and then Gi. My drawstring sits higher than the dexcom for when people try break guard with pant grips.

I’ve dealt with even the most brutal knee on belly and mount and not had it rip out yet with still very accurate readings.

Go train

5 Likes

Thanks @Halph_gracie - is your last name Gracie (as in the Gracie BJJ family) or is the gracie for your affiliation? Which gracie if affiliated!?

A picture guide for what you’re saying may be a great resource folks can reference later! It would be some work but sounds interesting and I’d love to see your descriptions in pictures (step-by-step guide of sorts).

Glad you found a way to work it! Until all my kids are vaccinated, my BJJ training has been put on hold for now.

2 Likes

I have had a lot of success with taping for grappling, armbars and all.
I’m using libre but principal can apply to Dexcom (my son uses Dexcom).
Put the sensor on vertically on tricep and tape as follows before grappling (use skintac or adhesive if you prefer, I haven’t been).
-cut a gauze pad to the size and shape of the sensor
-tape in place with hypafix
-flex bicep and tape around with ultralight (monitor circulation)
-use electrical tape around arm over the sensor, monitor circulation for tension and make sure the electrical covers the middle, top and bottom edges of the sensor

This method doesn’t use the ramping suggested (which seems like a great idea and could be added) but it has worked for me and is fast and easy to do and remove without damaging the sensor.
The gauze prevents the tape from pulling the sensor and absorbs the sweat

I made a video on Instagram under @activetouchphysiotherapy

1 Like

Hypafix tape by itself works great. It can be pulled off and replace at anytime w/o pulling off the sensor.

4 Likes

Awesome, I think I just like the electrical tape because we use it for rugby too, but it feels like I need it during an armbar or triangle entry

2 Likes