Another Omnipod PDM failure

I have had it happen a few times when I meant to change the bats out at the same time as a pod change, and then as soon as I activated the pod I realized I forgot the bats. Then it’s like, “Crap! I hope the bats will last another 3 days!!”

I think the way to go might be - in the pod box with 10 pods, maybe putting two pods in their own ziplock bag, and each of those bags has 2 batteries!

That would be a great way of reminding. What do you think?

1 Like

That is not a bad idea. I might just toss 2 AAA batteries in the box of 10 pods when I get them. Then when I grab the new box I change the PDM batteries. I find the batteries I use last for at least a box of 10.

2 Likes

I got to do all of this for the first time today. That was an exciting hour of time for how it all went down for me. Mostly because I did not remember reading this thread before.

I never bolus through my pods bc it kills them. Like always. But today was Day 3 of a pod, I was running out the door to do a quick errand on a deadline, grabbed a snack and decided to do a 3 unit extended bolus since I’d be changing the pod in a few hours anyway…like, what could go wrong, right?

Well. It killed my pod. And it made my PDM scream like something that sounds horrible when it screams.

Long story short…I killed the pod scream with the paperclip trick. Removing the batteries from the PDM got the scream to stop…but it didn’t reset the frozen error screen or stop the scream when the batteries were replaced.

I got out my back up PDM…quickly programmed it (that probably should have been done in advance)…which required a hunt through two binders and my phone for my hourly basal rates. Got a pod going. Then I called Insulet and they told me the paperclip reset maneuver on the PDM.

I’ve saved a screenshot of my basal profile onto my computer desktop now for quick access. I’ve got a photo of the profile in my phone…surrounded by 2000 pics of my kids and dog.

All of that meant an hour shot by 'betes, no snack and no errand.

This is why I don’t bolus through my pods. It never ever ever works out for me.

3 Likes

I’ve stopped bolusing from my pods for a few years now and am very glad I did! I love the ability to have tight control on my basal, via the pod, or I would probably just go back to MDI.

2 Likes