Afrezza & upcoming endo appt

Your endo or doctor can request samples. MannKind is good at providing free samples to the docs. In my area, I usually end up with the samples that are getting close to expiry.

I have some at the moment… but I am not a doctor, nor can I prescribe them. If someone were to find them in my medication fridge, swipe them, and use them, I am not responsible (my stupidity of leaving the front door open is not a crime).

MannKind also has a discount card. It will give you a $15 copay, with a maximum benefit of $150 off for 30 refills:
https://www.activatethecard.com/afrezza7354/#

I use the discount card during the period when I have out of pocket expenses on my insurance. I also recommend the GoodRx discount - it lowers the cost as well, if you have a high deductible health plan or no insurance:
https://www.goodrx.com/afrezza?drug-name=afrezza

My cost with the GoodRx discount, and the Afrezza card, with no insurance, made my cost about $180-300 per box (depending on box size). YMMV.

1 Like

What about now, @Tony? MannKind has a discount card if you have an out of pocket cost now.

2 Likes

When I looked, you had very little real estate left to do injections due to scarring from injections and what looked like infections from insulin pump infusion sets…

And one’s A1C could easily start to rise (not too much!) very easily for a short time.

3 Likes

Is PA an acronym for prior authorization? Or something else?

Yes. PA = Prior Authorization

Katers87 Type 1
February 6 |

Is PA an acronym for prior authorization? Or something else?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Well how did it go?

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of this being a problem… PAs are just hoops that doctors staff jump through for a living in my experience

1 Like

Last night was great. A decent amount of coughing involved, but that seems to be getting better with each time I use it.

Today it’s been a bit messier. I had a pretty bad low earlier because I didn’t estimate the dose properly and/or eat quickly enough. It seems that I need to be pretty high in order for me to do any adjustment using Afrezza. It looks like the 4 unit cartridge can only be used if I need 2+ units. I guess I’ll need to use Humalog if I just need to correct by 1 unit. Which is disappointing because 1 unit takes so long to really work. The Afrezza insulin absorbs too quickly for me to offset lows by taking in more sugar (which just sounds too complicated anyway).

I just need more time to iron out the kinks. I think I moved a little too fast this morning. I’m not used to insulin working so quickly.

2 Likes

Use the afrezza after you eat, not before… it’s all about timing instead of about dose size…

Re coughing, it helps to make sure your throat isn’t dry, take a sip of water right before, and don’t inhale so violently, just a relatively gentle inhale is all it takes… that should help with the cough

3 Likes

Hey - you did a great job, even if you don’t think so. You are aware of what happened, and that is the first step of adjusting your routine for Afrezza.

This is where you need to adjust your timing (it’s different for each of us). I find I have to take my dose either after I eat, or sometimes 15-20 minutes later when I first see my trend line start to creep up. I tend to dose on the low side and do a follow up if needed.

Hang in there! You will get it ironed out!

2 Likes

I know I’m supposed to be excited about Afrezza. So far I’m hating it though. I didn’t dose enough for lunch I guess so I shot up to over 200. I decreased by only 20 after a 4 unit dose of Afrezza, then increased by 50 so I dosed 8 units, this resulted in a slow decline which leveled off again at 200 so I dosed another 8 unit cartridge in the desperate hope I’d actually go down. By that point it’d been 4 hours since lunch!

In all the Afrezza excitement I forgot to bring my Humalog pen to work, and I’m really regretting it. I think the 2nd to last 8 unit cartridge didn’t come out all the way because there was a puff of powder when I pulled it out. I feel like I have no idea what I’m doing and nothing is working right.

The last cartridge resulted in a double down arrow that’s brought me down to 101 and doesn’t appear to be abating in the slightest…

There doesn’t seem to be any consistency.

I’m now at 48 - meter (54 on cgm with a diagonal downward arrow). I don’t know how many carbs I need to eat to increase the low… really frustrated.

2 Likes

Sorry @Katers87 that sounds like an uncomfortable thing. :frowning:

Hopefully you’ve got something sweet and tasty lying around. I send you good thoughts for a nice level solution in your future.

1 Like

I don’t think we have ever made a diabetes change that didn’t take 3 weeks to a month to get comfortable with. I know we all want the changes to be perfect, but it just doesn’t seem like it ever happens. So I can absolutely commiserate and hope that you settle in to the new insulin regimen. And that it exceeds your expectations.

6 Likes

What’d you eat? How’d you time your doses?

Tuna sandwich on focaccia bread. I’ve never had the bread before. I’m guessing it must’ve been packed full of carbs. Also maybe I’m not breathing in right. I dosed 8 units 10 minutes after.

In the past, I have gotten a wrap and dosed 5 units of humalog. I was being a little conservative because I dropped pretty low in the morning after dosing too early.

2 Likes

Well it’s only your first day… when I was learning I was writing an index card worth of notes for each meal I used for the first couple weeks…

You’ll get it dialed in… experiment with foods you know first…

1 Like

Wow. That’s a lot of work.

I’m going to take a break for a couple days. I feel like I can feel it in my chest afterward, and all the drops happen really fast, and it makes my blood sugar feel low even though I’m not. I also can taste it for quite awhile afterward.

I’ll try it again in a few days, but I think I went into this whole experience with rose colored glasses. Today was a reality check.

I will stick to the foods I know when I try it out again.

2 Likes

I reread my post and realized I was really negative.

Thanks @Chris and @TravelingOn for your compassion.

Thanks for your suggestions @Sam.

Hopefully things go better the second time around :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dropping fast is the appeal, just gotta master the timing so that the dropping fast is counter-acting a metabolism that’d otherwise be rising fast… with a cgm it’s easier to just wait until the cgm arrow starts heading up then dose…

2 Likes