Afrezza & upcoming endo appt

I had fish tacos with carb balance tortillas and some other stuff…

I struggle with pasta regardless of the type of insulin… probably because there’s about 1 lb of meat and cheese and sauce on it by the time I eat it

4 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend it, but I went all out and had some fire baked margherita pizza. It took some follow on doses but wasnt too bad.

2 Likes

EH’s was a hamburger with a bun. (We don’t usually do buns.) :heart_eyes::hamburger:

Lately, he’s found that the Afrezza isn’t working as well to bring down his stubborn highs. But when he’s exercising regularly and using the Afrezza with meals of moderate carb loads, it works well! It’s great it’s out of the system so quickly.

4 Likes

I think it’s funny that @kmichel and EH (@TravelingOn) chose such high protein/fat meals! For those meals I have to dose again an hour or two later! I was having a hard time thinking of low protein/low fat meals that still have a decent amount of carbs (hence pasta). @Sam is right though- pasta truly is best with loads of delicious protein on top.

I have decided to just eat things I would normally eat and see how it goes. I’m going to get Cava tonight with rice and a small pita bread! Normally I wouldn’t get the rice.

3 Likes

Cava wine? Just bear in mind always round your afrezza dose up… just like the dosage guide says, at least until you develop your own strategies… you don’t want to be thinking “well I’d take 5u of novolog for this and that’s pretty darn close to 4 so I’ll just take 4 of afrezza”. That’s not going to work, instead it’s “I’d take 5 novolog so that rounds up to 8 afrezza”

2 Likes

haha. I wish. No Afrezza needed for that though. Nah, delicious mediterranean food.

https://order.cava.com/stores/15/menu?utm_source=local&utm_medium=location_p

3 Likes

Afrezza will handle that effortlessly.

Might take a few stabs to get your timing down but if that’s how you eat afrezza will be your best friend.

I’d wash your cava down with some cava if I were you.

4 Likes

Excellent suggestion! Too bad I don’t have any hanging around.

Just post on Craigslist that you’re a 30 something blonde and need someone to bring over a bottle of champagne… it’ll be there in 10 minutes and you won’t even have to pay for it…

1 Like

Hahahaha. That’d definitely make for some interesting company.

1 Like

You never know… that’s how I met my wife

2 Likes

You will need a lung function test done before being approved for afreeza

Yes @Tony. I have had a spirometry test. Please see my response to your past statement on this.

3 Likes

Looks delicious! I’m definitely going to ask about getting some at my next endo appt (not til May since I have to drive 2 hours each way and my primary probably won’t navigate the insurance hurdles even though I’m sure he’d write the prescription if I wanted to pay out of pocket), but I doubt my primary doc will be able to get through all the insurance hurdles). I want to be able to scarf down pancakes with maple syrup again in large quantities. Can’t wait to see your results!

4 Likes

That’s exactly the opposite of my experience… my endo knows everything about diabetes but wouldn’t lift a finger for a PA or anything like that , my primary is prettty decent overall but would absolutely take care of business no matter what it took…

2 Likes

Same here. I wrote the PA for him. He uses it with other Afrezza patients now. They aren’t too hard to write, but glad my new RX insurance (Express Scripts) doesn’t require one.

1 Like

the weird thing is, afreeza would have been free for me with my old insurance

2 Likes

So my endo is willing to prescribe Afrezza, but my current insurance won’t cover it, and based on my experience with them, my A1c is currently too “good” for a PA to work. I should be switching insurances in a couple of months, so I’m probably going to wait to see how the new one handles it, but have people had luck getting free samples or significant enough discounts from Mannkind to make not going through insurance reasonable?

1 Like

I didn’t try going that route, but hopefully other people on here have some experience with this.

1 Like

There is a sampling program. I think this is how @Pianoplayer7008 started?

@kmichel, do you have information on this?

1 Like