Adhesive skin reactions

When I started DexI wasn’t using Dex for a couple of months, I had a great deal of itching, especially once the adhesive started peeling around the edge (not using a cover like Rockadex). I didn’t use the Dex for a few months (basically forgot about it), and started again about 3 weeks ago.

Strangely, when I started again, it didn’t seem to itch as much. It might have been that I just hadn’t gotten an “itchy one” yet - but has anybody else had this happen? I wonder if the immune system figures out during the “break” that the adhesive isn’t really a problem and develops tolerance to it?

Do any of you find skin prep or iv prep helpful for skin irritation?

This is nasty

1 Like

So this is weird… as I’ve mentioned before I put down tegaderm patches then the g6 on top…

Bizarrely, the skin is only getting chewed up where the sensor adhesive sits on top of the tegaderm. All I can figure is that the dexcom adhesive is leaching through the tegaderm? They must be somewhat porous to allow perspiration etc to escape I guess ?

1 Like

wow, that is what happened under the tegaderm!

I’ve used tegaderm under my dexcom for years and even with hyper-sensitive skin, I rarely have a reaction and it is never as severe as what you’re experiencing. I continue to use tegaderm with a fair percentage of success. Sometimes I will welt (hive up) around the edge of the tegaderm or get a welt under it, but again … nothing as severe as you are showing.

I have used Skin-Tac Adhesive (in the bottle) for under my OmniPods for the first few years. Circumstances dictated I try applying the pod without Skin-Tac and I was fine, skin-reaction-wise and staying-on-wise as well! (the circumstances were the bottle was glued shut! be careful if you use the liquid, which I much prefer, and carefully clean the neck of the bottle of any drips, before you screw the lid back on!)

I no longer use the Skin-Tac for my pod, but you might want to try it for the Dexcom adhesive. I applied it lightly to the pod adhesive and my skin. After a minute or so of it drying, I applied the pod and it stuck very well. I had trouble removing it sometimes, which is when I would use unisolve adhesive remover.

Back to the tegaderm … I have had a welt or two (hives) under the tegaderm, but have been able to tolerate it by taking an anti-itch pill. I must say, if my skin looked like yours, anti-itch pill be damned, I wouldn’t use tegaderm again! Ouch!

I’m in full agreeance with this thought process. Except, when I get an air bubble, it doesn’t dissipate, so this might negate the “leaching” process.

1 Like

Yeah this is new for me too… I’ve used cgm off and on for years… with the tegaderm method for the last year or two… and never anything like this before

I analyzed the one I just removed and I am absolutely certain that the dexcom adhesive leaches right through the tegaderm… you can run your finger across the underside of a removed one and feel exactly where the dexcom adhesive starts from the other side… (also researched tegaderm and they do call it “semi permeable” and “breathable”)… also you can see where the tegaderm alone was contacting skin and the skin is totally fine or at most mildly irritated… then as soon as you get to where the dexcom sat it looks like I’ve been branded

I usually don’t have sensitive skin to almost anything… this is literally like having poison Ivy shrink wrapped to my arm.

I asked my NP what she recommends and am waiting for a reply. Also ordered skin prep which some people swear by… my wife is a wound care nurse practitioner and that was her first suggestion…

Will report back… but this is no good— these are like 2nd degree burns

4 Likes

This last one I did the flonase thing and then after that dried used a skin prep wipe, then tegaderm, then sensor right through

Huge improvement in the skin irritation… night and day.

It’s still a little red but nothing alarming

3 Likes

Glad you found one method that worked for you. Bummer that it is the most difficult to apply.

1 Like

Do any of you have any notes to share on the omnipod 5 adhesive vs the dexcom? The dexcom adhesive is like kryptonite to me…… or maybe more like pouring salt on a slug. I’m going to start playing with the omnipod 5 next week and I’m not sure what to expect with the adhesive