Adding fat to slow carbs down?

I am wondering if this would work.

I mentioned in another thread the importance of increasing-your-hdl-level. One of the things I do for that is take an oil supplement. I use Udo’s 3.6.9 blend of omega fatty acids ==>369 because it is easy to take, and doesn’t taste horrible.

So if you take that with a meal, would that delay carb absorption? Does increasing the fat content along with the food you are eating slow the carbs down? Or does the fat actually have to be part of the food?

I can’t really tell because fat in food doesn’t seem to slow things down for me anyway. But maybe this would slow the carbs down for some people? Curious if anyone has added healthy fat content to the food they are eating just for the purpose of slowing the carbs down a little.

Hmmm. I’ll have to make notes and compare some of my meals - I usually take 2g coconut oil with breakfast and dinner, but sometimes I forget. I’m not sure if I’ve noticed a difference in my numbers between meals with the coconut oil and meals without, but I usually have a decent amount of fat in my meals anyway. I think fat IN my meal does slow the spike a little, but I don’t know that it reduces the amount of the spike, and if it’s enough fat, then I get into dealing with an initial carb spike followed by a slower spike later, etc.

It makes all the difference in the world to me. I can’t imagine why it could have to be part of the food you’re eating. A piece of bread slathered with mayo is no different than a piece of bread and a separate tablespoon of mayo. I consider fat content almost as much as I consider carbs when thinking of how to handle a meal. Fat itself doesn’t raise bg at all but completely changes your guts priorities.

2 Likes

So for carbs that cause the quick spike, perhaps adding some additional fat as a supplement would help slow them down?

Does anyone know why this isn’t a recommended strategy given out?

“Slowed down” for means spiking three or four hours later, generally (though not avocado).

So is it still a spike, just later? That doesn’t help much. :frowning: I thought maybe it would just make it come in more gradually.

There’s gotta be a way to make that happen.

Finally figured out I need extra insulin on chicken wing night! :yum:

3 Likes

I need almost nothing for wings. No carbs.

2 Likes

Probably because there’s no hard and fast rule you can follow, because everyone’s digestion is different - some people spike 3-5 hours later with significant fat, some (like me) spike just 1.5-2 hours later. Some don’t spike later at all.

2 Likes

Because the medical establishment has been terrified of fat?

4 Likes

That is a GOOD point.

But it’s not like bacon fat. I mean, using the healthy types of fat.

1 Like

In my younger days (late 80’s and early 90’s), I was given medical advise to eat protein and fat with carbs to slow absorption. But is was generic non-specific advice - as in I was not given advice to eat x grams of protein or y fat for z grams of carbs. At that time I was on the Canadian version of the exchange diet, so I never had a meal without protein or fat anyways. (except maybe morning snack.)

3 Likes

ohhh… the good old days of medically regimented eating.

2 Likes

Well that picture makes it perfectly clear, doesn’t it?

Nonsense. This is what will keep you perfectly healthy. The government says so!
Be sure to get lots of bread and grains, don’t eat much meat, and fat is our enemy.

1 Like

Remember when they added the Sugars category in 1994? What, you mean to tell us we can eat cake after all?

1 Like

Where is the beer food group - or is that grain + vegetable (hops) + water?

1 Like

Yes I do - before that all the sugars were lumped in the Fruit and Vegetable category. Like my favourite cookies my mom made (and still does) were 1 fruit and vegetable choice.

Since I was always told not to eat sugar, I started to feel guilty about eating some foods that were in the sugar catagory (I think this is the opposite of what was supposed to happen) - but hey - when a chocolate chip cookie was a fruit and vegetable choice I was pretty happy.

3 Likes

That made me chuckle. I was just complaining to my husband last night about even healthy fats getting a bad rap - I was watching a “healthy” themed Chopped episode (Food Network addict here), and this girl got dinged for making salmon cakes fried in coconut oil, because, ohhh, too many calories and ah, lots of fat! :roll_eyes:

1 Like