$25 Amazon gift card to the first person

Phew @eric this is getting deep.

Inhale it.

LOL I give up!!!

No, I DID say it has to do with diabetes. In fact, I said that exactly:
:grinning:

Here is a clue:
Michel posted something on May 7 that is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

You have to learn by taking educated guesses in order to both beat the diabetes demon and live a normal life. These instances can teach you new things that will add to your arsenal of diabetes tools.

1 Like

@Michel
Can I use your May 7th post as the example?

1 Like

Yesssss!!!

4 Likes

I am going to pick on :head_zookeeper: a little bit:

1 Like

Before I start, I want to mention that I know it is tough to manage BG with kids. Just growing and being young does a lot to them. And particularly with growth hormones, I know how tough it is to figure things out and predict for them.

So just manage today as best as you can. But plan for tomorrow - when they settle out a bit and these things start to become second-nature for them, there is so much more they can tap into with managing.

But these are things that have helped me greatly, and I encourage everyone to consider what is not always “in the books”.

A good example is what Kaelan did. His dad says “although I find his decision not to take glucose at 1/2 time questionable.”

His CGM showed a drop over 100 points in the hour preceding his halftime. By the numbers, it sure looked like he should have taken some carbs at halftime. But he didn’t, and he ended the game at 73. That is absolutely perfect.

Did he make a mistake?
Of course not! He ended at 73!

Was it lucky?
No! There is no luck. Only good results or bad results.

The young Jedi was able to go beyond the numbers. He used things that you will never find in a formula or any book. Just that wonderful instinct that comes from experience and courage.

Everything is numbers and formula and data driven now. Certainly for people who do not have the disease, there is nothing else to use but numbers and formulas and data.

But numbers and formulas only take in certain things. What do we use numbers for?

• DIA
  • IC ratio
  • correction factor
  • BG
  • IOB

Is there anything else that I forgot?!

Here are things there we don’t use formulas for:

• How do I feel today?
  • What did I do yesterday?
  • What will I do today?
  • What am I doing right now?
  • Did that dose I took 30 minutes ago work more than I expected? Or less?
  • What do I think will happen if I take this dose?
  • Did yesterday work well?
  • Is today different than yesterday?
  • It it working faster today than normal? Or slower?
  • What is better for me now, going up or going down?
  • Do I have easy access to carbs in the next 30 minutes?
  • How soon is my next meal?

A long time ago I started making predictions. For example, after a shot I would think, “I don’t think this will be enough insulin…” Or, “I bet I will be going low soon…”

And then I realized, if I am making that prediction, why in the hell am I taking that amount? Why not have some balls and adjust based on what I think will happen? Why not just have the courage to trust my instincts a little bit more.

When they are old enough, a few simple questions to ask them:

• “Before you look at what the dosage calculator is telling you, what do you think you need?”
  • “Before looking at your CGM, what do you think you are right now?”
  • “What are you going to be in 30 minutes? Why?”
  • “Are you on the way up now, or down? Why?”
  • “Before you go to bed, tell me what you think will happen. Are you going to spike or drop tonight? Why?”
  • “Would you rather be high or low in 20 minutes? Why?”

I say this with complete sincerity: I am glad I learned certain things before BG testing and CGM and all of that came out. I learned to trust myself over anything else.

Instincts are liberating.

Adults can do this. For the kids, it will take time. But train your young Jedi’s.

9 Likes

I could not agree more with this comment. Sometimes we just need to push all of the gadgets and guidelines out of the way and trust our instincts. Awesome, awesome post @Eric

2 Likes

Your quote reminded me of something, so I changed the video in my post above! When Luke turns off his targeting computer…

2 Likes

Yes!!! That’s it!!!

Side note - John William’s Star Wars score still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

2 Likes

“You see? You can do it.”

3 Likes

This is a GREAT post, @Eric !

2 Likes

@Eric I hereby relinquish my claim to being the longest duration diabetic here. Your wisdom and insight into this disease makes you the rightful bearer of that moniker.
You have not only caught me, you have passed me! Congratulations on an epic post!

4 Likes

So did you give the gift card to yourself???

3 Likes

Actually, I think people should read through the comments and see who should get it.

Maybe Kaelan, since I used him as an example?

1 Like

This is a post we ned to make as a wiki, and a permanent link to parents of children with diabetes (@Irish, note how I am writing this :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Love it!!

It was a great post and a nice discussion. My snarkiness aside, another (less fun) option might be to go to the site maintenance in Kaelan’s name.