1/2u Humalog Kwikpen Junior

Eli Lilly announces the 1/2u capable disposable kwikpen

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/lilly-launches-humalog-junior-kwikpen-in-the-us-483834/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Diabetes%20Daily&utm_content=Lilly%20Launches%20Humalog%20Junior%20KwikPen%20in%20the%20US

3 Likes

Nice!

I have been diluting my KwikPen with 50% mix so it would be a half unit pen.

The KwikPen is a little smaller than Lilly’s metal non-disposable pen, so I wanted to be able to occasionally have a smaller pen that allowed me to do 1/2 unit doses, so I kinda made my own. So glad Lilly is doing this!

Thanks for the news!

2 Likes

Do you notice a difference between

1. Humalog and Novolog
  2. The reusable pens capable of 1/2 unit doses v the non-disposables.

FYI-my endo told me that less than 3 units, the pens were inaccurate; and that syringes were the way to go. For the most part, I tend to agree that at less than 2.5 units, syringes are far more accurate than the pens. Nothing beats pens for portability, though.

1 Like

We had a discussion about this a while ago. I do like syringes because I can see the dosing.

@sam, do you recall the thread talking about accuracy, where that was?

To me Hlog and Nlog are the same. I think the dosing accuracy from both pens is the same, as far as I can tell. I have not noticed one being worse or better.

1 Like

Studies have shown that at doses of 1u that pens are actually (surprisingly) more accurate than syringes. I’ll look for link.

I agree that a 0.5u dose will not be superbly accurate “slack in the system” – but it’s so little insulin that it doesn’t really matter much.

I have only used humalog a little bit, like 2 pens worth… but at the time my impression was that it was slightly slower than novolog, less of a peak and slightly longer overall duration, nothing insurmountable… and I’ve seen other people note different observations or no differences at all

1 Like