Z-pack

Started a 5 day azithromycin course last night and have been having chasing high blood sugars ever since. Is this a known thing? Seems like I’ve taken it in the past and not had this effect?

1 Like

being sick in itself is known to cause high blood sugar…could be that rather than the meds

5 Likes

You feeling better, @Sam?

Yeah I don’t feel bad I just have a mystery cough that comes up for months at a time sometimes, usually after a common cold… and just lasts until summer comes again

Not a popular time for that

Been to all sorts of docs to try to figure it out and have tried essentially everything…

2 Likes

Sam will now be known as the Covid coughing super spreader!

edit - sorry it took me a second to figure out the markdown code for strikethough.

2 Likes

Some antibiotics are known to cause blood sugar spikes, but the Z-pack is not one of them. There is some anecdotal evidence for spikes, though.

The infection itself can definitely increase your readings. Also, there is a school of thought that the effects of the antibiotic on your digestive tract can affect blood sugar. If your readings haven’t settled down, you might want to try a good pro-biotic and see if that makes any difference.

Hope you are on the mend!

2 Likes