Why bolusing for fat is beneficial

Were you able to find your formula? Pizza and a movie are on the menu tonight!

I do not recommend eating the movie.

5 Likes

Yeah, not so tasty, the disc! :smile:

1 Like

Formula we use as a “starting point” for particular meals / types of food.

Carbs: 100%. Bolus up front. I call these “real” carbs.
Protein: 50% + Fat: 10%. Bolus extended over 3 hrs. (0% now, 100% over 3 hrs). I call these carb “equivalent”.

Adjust based on actual type of food and past experience.

For example we just made a gluten-free quiche for dinner. Used shredded potatoes for the crust.
1-1/4 pound potato
1 pound bacon
7 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup cheese
Lots of onion,pepper,mushroom,spinach,garlic.

Quiche sliced for 8 servings.

Add it all up and it computes out to one quiche slice is 16 carbs now, 11 carb “equivalent” on an extended bolus.

Alternatively, with a different type of meal, if the carbs are heavy enough and the protein/fat low enough then the various inaccuracies all over the place don’t make any sense. This ends up being an engineering problem, not a math problem. Point being with math, carry it out to 6 decimals place. No difference. A number is a number. Engineering, real world has to consider margins of error and practicalities.

For example if a hypothetical breakfast consists of 2 medium eggs, 1-1/2 cup of hash browns, 12 ounces orange juice, 2 slices toast w/jelly, 1 coffee w/sugar and a side plate of fresh fruit and berries. (This is probably realistic at a restaurant?)
At this point, who cares about the protein and fat from the eggs. The carbs overwhelm everything. Just deal with the carbs and let the rest fall where they do. Almost impossible to be at the target BG in 3 hrs. Make your best guess and check BG in 3 hrs and dose or carb up. So no stress as it will be off.

4 Likes

Sorry, I forgot all about looking for that.

I found it. So…these things are different for everyone, but here is a general formula I have as a starting point…

Take your normal IC ratio, and for what you are about to eat, dose:
100% for carbs
50% for protein
30% for fat

You will want to extend some of it when it is a larger dose.

The calculation I have for that is any amount over 10% of your TDD, you should extend that for an hour.

So just to clarify, I will use an example.

Just some made-up numbers as a demo. Suppose your IC is 1:20. And your TDD is 30 units.

If you are going to eat something that has:
60 grams of carbs
30 grams of protein
10 grams of fat

carbs: 60g x 1:20 (your IC) x 100% = 3.0 units
protein: 30g x 1:20 (your IC) x 50% = 0.75 units
fat: 10g x 1:20 (your IC) x 30% = 0.15 units

total would be (3.0 + 0.75 + 0.15) = 3.9 units

Since your TDD is 30 units, 10% of 30 is 3.0 units. So in this instance you would deliver 3 units right away and extend the remaining 0.9 units for an hour.

Hope the formula and this example makes sense. Lemme know if I need to clarify anything.

4 Likes

Thanks! :smiley_cat:

1 Like