What’s the best go-bags for emergency supplies?

It came to my attention that it would be a good idea to have an emergency kit that could be taken to hospital if necessary. It was suggested that there be enough pump supplies, CGM sensors, glucose tablets, syringes, glucometer, etc for at least a couple of weeks. Insulin would be added just before leaving.

I’ve seen a couple of backpacks touted as diabetic go-bags. Anyway I wasn’t sure as to how much they would carry. Also, I would want to user out of the kit, replacing what ever is used.

Also, what kind of information should be on a sheet for medical personnel.

Any ideas.

BTW, I am type 2 but I know I would have a giant spike if I miss a bolus.

3 Likes

Hi @CarlosLuis,
I have a kit like that. But what I need to bring is not the same as what you need to bring.

I suggest you start with a list of what you’d want to bring. And then let’s find a kit that fits the supplies you want to have, rather than trying to fit your supplies into a kit.

BTW, here is a link to mine:

2 Likes

Thanks Eric, to bad that one is not available, but it gave me some ideas. Yeah, I have a kit for when I am out and about. It contains a meter, lancet device, glucose tabs, a package of peanut butter crackers and a Kind nut bar. This goes with me everywhere. I put it together for cycling as it fits in my center jersey pocket.

1 Like

I set out the supplies I would think good to have in an emergency, and realized that it might fit in an old equipment box that has been repurposed 3 times. It was in the barn and covered in cobwebs. I cleaned it up, and loaded it with the stuff. The box needs a hinge replaced, probably best to do both.

2 Likes

@CarlosLuis
If you go to Amazon and search for “electronics case” you can find a bunch of different sized carrying kits.

1 Like

Just curious… I keep insulin a year but i refrigerate it. I am comfortable with a month or two at room temperature. I wonder do you refrigerate this kit?

Nope!

I have no problem with insulin that’s been sitting out for a year.

I can demo this.

1 Like

I’ve been in the hospital a lot since my diagnosis and while y’all have general diabetes care items covered I wanted to mention a few other things that I’ve found to be helpful to go in my larger go-bag (which is a keep at your house bag):

• Plastic sleeve with a printout of all your current medications and dosages, all your doctors (with phone numbers), and all your diagnoses. Even if you’re in the system, it’s amazing what they miss sometimes–and sometimes they stop meds or start new ones and this will help you figure that out.
  • Socks with grippy bottoms – I like yoga socks for this and if you don’t have them, they’re gonna make you put on the horrible hospital ones. Yoga socks stay on your feets a lot better.
  • Extra underwear – cause they aren’t gonna give you any.
  • Pajama bottoms.
  • A scarf–I like to have a silk one that can pack down really small, because silk helps retain the heat and you never know what the temperature is going to be like.
  • Ear plugs you can sleep in because you will get a roommate who likes to talk on the phone loudly, has loud visitors, or watches all the Real Housewives shows on the TV.
  • Sleep mask because omg the lights.
  • Extra phone charging cable and adapter, make sure the cable is extra long because outlets are often badly placed.
  • Extra charging cable and adapter for your pump, again make sure cable is extra long.
  • If you menstruate, some supplies just in case.
  • Toiletries because they aren’t going to ask if you need them, and it’s just easier if you have your own toothbrush and toothpaste and comb.
  • Notebook with (multiple) writing implement(s) to keep track of what doctors tell you at 5 am (and the doctors’ names), what your daily plan is, to track when you get your meds (especially pain meds–my hospital doesn’t allow nurses to offer, you have to ask and keeping on top of that is important for pain management) when you get your meds and what you got, and for doodling when you’re bored out of your skull waiting for stuff to happen.
  • A big fat novel to read if you’re the reading type because again, lots of waiting. Don’t make it anything too complicated, because you probably won’t have the brain for anything complex. If you read on an e-reader, make sure it can use your phone’s mobile connection as a hotspot in advance because hospital wi-fi is always terrible.

Oh, and if you don’t pump, be prepared to give yourself your home insulin–I’d go into the bathroom to do it. The standard hospital protocol is to test you before your carb control meal (60g carbs) and essentially give you a correction bolus. They will not give you a food bolus. They would rather correct for a high than deal with a low. My preference is exactly the opposite (but I like sugar, so…). I would tell the doctors and nurses I was doing it. They don’t like it, but they can’t stop you.

…and I really need to update my bag. It’s been over a year since I’ve been in the hospital and it’s out of date. All my stuff fits in a small duffel and I use smaller bags to subdivide the different types of supplies.

11 Likes

I found a bag to use as the kit I never want to ever need. It is an EMT bag and is made for Goldilocks, not too big and not too small.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091FY48BC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Not finished with all that goes in it, but here’s a picture.

5 Likes

What is the time-frame on that bag? Like how many days/weeks/months can you pack in there?

1 Like

Maybe 3 to 4 weeks. The Dexcom and infusion set applicators limit more because of their size.

3 Likes

My biggest annoyance is the size of the G6 applicator; I can accept the Omnipod size, it is all useful stuff, but the G6 applicator is ridiculous. Fortunately the outer packaging has been reduced in size, so a month supply of G6 sensors is now maybe half the volume but I still take them out of the box.

Realistically it is still a very small volume compared to either scuba or ski gear.

1 Like