What Is The Attraction To Wearing An OmniPod vs. A Tethered Pump?

Buck nekkid :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. And no clips!

3 Likes

this is one of the key points that attracts me to my MM pump. i can fill my reservoir as full as i choose and i dont need to change it/refill it at the same time i change my set site. and i do disconnect often, so its not like i have to wear it 24/7. and this is only one of the many features that i think are fabulous.

I have the 523 model, using 1.8 ml reservoir. I fill it max, and it is just what I need for the week.

1 Like

i have the same model. i love it. when my old one went out of warrenty, i was eligible for a new pump, and i decided to get another one. (i did consider the Tandem TSlim for a bit, but then decided that i was such a satisfied customer with this model that i didnt want to change it.

My understanding is that 523 may no longer be available. My next upgrade if I stay with MM, I think will be 530 if they keep selling it. Or will consider T-slim.

I have only used Medtronic, since 1996, I think it was a 506.

i dont understand why they would stop making this model. so many people with MM pumps love this model. i cant for the life of me remember the other models i have used since 17 years ago. i only know that this is my second round with this model and i am a really satisfied customer.

one thing i know that i dont want is the closed loop where the pump decides for you when to increase or decrease your basal b/c the range is not the same as my target range. i like to be between 80 and 110; i think the closed loop is set at 120 and 150. (please correct me if i am wrong).

also, the thing about the Tandem i didnt like was that it was a “touch screen.” it didnt have buttons. it was very technically advanced, and there were definately features i would love to have, but i really didnt like the touch screen. i also didnt like that the reservoir came outside of the pump itself. looked shady to me.

The 530 has similar hardware and features as 523, pushbutton. My last upgrade they only sold 530 as a system, so required purchase of enlites sensors at same time. I wouldn’t give up dexcom for that. So hoping a standalone 530 would be offered, if 523 is not available.

1 Like

I wasted more insulin in the Omni than I do on a tethered, but not a ton more (because I cheated…I would pull out whatever insulin in the pod I had been wearing and transfer it to the next) hee hee :wink:

2 Likes

is your 523 a REVEL? mine is , and i was under the impression that i could choose to use MM sensors with it. i dont, and i dont use a cgm, but if i did use a cgm it would be the Dexcom and not the MM.

how does this work? b/c i have read on FUD that others do this as well? do you have to “feed” the PODs when you change them, or are they all pre- loaded?

You use a syringe to extract the insulin from the old pod. There is a hole you put the insulin into and can take it out of.

2 Likes

so do you re-use your PODs and just re-fill them? or do you use diff pods each time your change them out?

(please excuse my ignorance)

No, you can extract the insulin from the old pod for use with the new pod.

There is a needle within the pod that goes into your skin (and extracts itself… it’s used to insert the cannula), when you begin the session. Once that needle had been inserted, it can’t be used again.

so what do you do if you experience problems with insertion? with my MM, i cant re-use the needle, but i can take it out and stick it in another site if i want to. its still 100% functional. also, what i really like is that i have the ability to refill my pump reservoir as frequently or infrequently as i choose. so, for example, i change/rotate my site every 3rd day, but i dont have to refuel my reservoir at the same time. can you do this with the POD?

1 Like

If you experience problems with the insertion you extract insulin, put in a new pod and use the new pod. Then you call Insulet and get a free replacement pod.

Each Pod lasts 3 days plus 8 hours.

2 Likes

how frequently does this happen? is it a PITA calling them each time? Medtronic’s tech support and customer service are excellent and will replace anything that isnt working properly; they will even over-night you replacements and once i even had them ship me something to a hotel in Florida while i was on vacation.

I average one error pod a month. Not too bad imo. Same with Insulet. Very fast and they replace everything without issues. If they need a pod back, they mail you the return packaging and labels.

1 Like

@daisymae [quote=“ClaudnDaye, post:33, topic:4098, full:true”]
No, you can extract the insulin from the old pod for use with the new pod.

There is a needle within the pod that goes into your skin (and extracts itself… it’s used to insert the cannula), when you begin the session. Once that needle had been inserted, it can’t be used again.
[/quote]

@ClaudnDaye pretty much covered it. :grinning:

1 Like

what happens when this period expires? my pump isnt that strictly timed. i can change it sooner, or change it later in the day. and, if i happen to forget, it will still work (maybe not well, but it will continue to give me the insulin that i need)

A loud annoying constant ringing will emit from the pod until you deactivate it.

We can change it sooner if we want but no need unless the site is irritated or something. I stretch as much time out of everything that I can

1 Like