What happens to your CGM data for the extra hour on Daylight Savings Time Fallback day?

That’s how it should be and any design other than that is totally silly

1 Like

That would take some fancy programming, and the FDA would take years to approve the change.

Does THAT require FDA approval? :astonished: Unbelievable.

1 Like

When I asked a while back if they could add a dimming feature to the G5 receiver because the backlight was way too bright they told me that it wouldn’t be until G6 was out because FDA approval takes so long.

So yes, every tiny little change they make has to be approved.

2 Likes

The reason I didn’t post a screenshot is because I didn’t want to make public my excursion to 270 :sob:. The 22u correction I took brought it down in a few hours

1 Like

That’s insane!

1 Like

@Boerenkool Ah, you seem to be getting a sense of how our government works over here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sometimes I feel I have a better understanding of how your government works than of that organization in Brussels that rules Europe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Heh. My son gets these every week :frowning: Last Sunday we blew through 30U on one peak that lasted all afternoon. 30U is darn close to his TDD.

3 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: FDA, drug approval and state bureaucracies

Terrifying. That’s close to my TDD too. I would be scared if it took that much insulin to bring down a peak.

1 Like

Even though it happens to us often, I am still worried every time. And frustrated: when the 3rd correction in 4 hours fails and we go up to 10U in one injection with no food coming, I can’t help checking his CGM follow app every 5 minutes and hoping that his sensor won’t fail in the next hour.

1 Like

:slight_smile: You are so right!

I think it is good to post this info. If the only info posted is flat lines that don’t go over 140 then we will miss out on the vast majority of the D traffic that would pass this by as being unrealistic for their needs.

(ie - other people noticing these forums and trying to decide if they should stick around and become regular readers and contributors)

I assure you we are not flatlining between 80 & 140. lol. Obviously. You saw a clip of our cgm above. And that particular cgm graph snippet is not what I would consider a serious problem. It went a bit high and responded to correction. It was job well done. Similar to what both @Michel and @docslotnick alluded to, we go in the high 200’s and the 300’s quite often and sporadically. It doesn’t take much. It happens - we correct. Sometimes we know what caused it and sometimes we don’t.

3 Likes

My assumption is the transmitter works fine but it is the Dexcom Software running on the receiving device (whether it be the Dexcom Receiver of the Dexcom G5 Mobile App) which fails to take time zones into account.

Have you worked IM into the mix yet?

We use IMs fairly often now. But we are not having 100% success on those, more like 30%. We typically use the calf, and use an 8mm needle. But about 70% of the time we don’t get an acceleration. The other issue is that when it works it needs less insulin — so as you don’t know ahead of time it’s a bit tricky.

As a general comment, sometimes I read where someone will say something like “I took X units and it didn’t do anything. An hour later I was still 300!”

Often times those comments are not right. If they hadn’t taken the X units, they might be at 400 an hour later. We really don’t know what it would have been without the insulin.

As long as the insulin is not bad, and it is injected properly, it is doing something. Maybe not as fast as we would like, or as much. But is has to do something. It doesn’t just go away after it is injected.

In the case of IM acceleration, again it is hard to say. If you had done it subcu instead of IM, the BG might have been even worse. So even when the IM does not appear to be working faster, it might have been much faster than if it was done subcu.

The insulin works every time, there is no choice. So it would clearly have been worse without the insulin. When we inject the right amount of insulin and we don’t go down, we say that it did not work, but we don’t mean that it did not have an effect — we just mean that it did not take us down as we wanted it to.

In normal non-sick circumstances (when we are not dealing with a hormone peak), we see a slight inflection around 25-30 minutes, and a sharp elbow around 45 minutes for a regular injection. If we use an IM in the calf or in the quad, exercise 3-5 minutes on it, and are successful, it is our experience that it will fully activate in 30 minutes (instead of 45) and we will need about 60-70% of the insulin we would normally use. We are successful about 30-35% of the time.

In other than normal circumstances, it is not really possible for us to know if an IM was successful (as an IM) because, in a hormone peak, things are so much more uncertain that we can’t really know how much insulin is needed, and how hormones keep on flowing.

It is just me be too concerned with semantics.

But for new diabetics, it is an important distinction to learn. Something they should be aware of, and something to point out to them - the insulin did work but maybe you needed more, without taking it you would have been much higher, etc.

That’s why I wanted to mention it.

2 Likes