What Age Should We Stop

One change. I “used” to love …
lol
Very sad the remote is gone. (Well - sitting up on the closet next to the old Animas pump.)

Now it is trying to remember which side the infusion set is on and then trying to find the pump. Like a scavenger hunt.

4 Likes

On the days when I know my wife is taking the kids to school in the morning, and it’s not my job to, I don’t wake up for the alarm either… I trust her completely to take care of business without me waking up…

2 Likes

Same for me. The only time I wake up is when I have to.

There is no need to wake up if there is no need to wake up.

Based on my experience as being a teen with T1 diabetes, I’d give a 13-14 year old as much control as possible unless his/her A1c goes out of range or you notice concerning patterns in their cgm data. As a teenager, altercations about my diabetes rarely resulted in me acting more responsibly or doing what my parents wanted. I’d say around 13-14 for a more hands-off approach, depending on how long ago the diagnosis was (how well the child understands how to manage their diabetes).

I’m not a parent though, and I’m sure it’s hard to not intervene when you’re worried about your child. :slight_smile: Also, every child is different, and some may want your intervention. I have no experience whatsoever with that.

6 Likes

That makes me feel better. Because EH is the same way (no kids, but trusts me to do decision making). (Like now, midnight in Sweden and he’s out cold. Just added some more humalog to the mix because he’s still at 227.)

I was thinking that there’s a time when everyone has to fly solo, so to speak. But if they don’t want to/have to/need to, then…maybe help is okay?

I’m glad all of you parents out there have each other. And I enjoy being a fly on the wall (a loud, chatty fly) and getting to read your thoughts about these issues.

3 Likes

Well it is nice, although somewhat nerve wracking, and it did require us to accept A1c’s in the 6’s as opposed to the 5’s, because there are nights when he chooses not to treat more than once. i.e. he will wake up once around 1 am almost reflexively and treat if he is high, but that is it. Also, he doesn’t wake up to the alarms either, my wife or I do, and we wake him up, then he treats if it is outside of the 1am time period, which it often is. Those darned nighttime highs just don’t seem to want to cooperate and hit at the same time.

edit: to preserve sleep which is super important, we will only wake him one additional time per night, and only if he is above 250

3 Likes

Yeah, finding the pump can be challenging. My son wears a belly band, and it can be all twisted up. Sometimes he has trouble finding it!

Ah the good old days. I went through five years of college and dental school and didn’t even have a Bg meter (they weren’t available yet).

Of course I’m sure my A1c was somewhere in the 9-10 range. But who cared? A1c was not even around then either.

3 Likes

Just imagine the potential you could have reached if you’d had a Dexcom! (Kidding)

2 Likes

I am not so worried about my son’s A1c there. I would, however, like him to simply survive his college years: what I am worried about is primarily an exercise- or alcohol-induced low at night.

I will be heavily invested in the boy by then— big sunk costs, want to see them pay off :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, I could have been King of Moldovia! Or maybe even a real doctor :wink:

6 Likes

MALdovia!

2 Likes

Lets not get carried away…

2 Likes

I hope to get Liam to the point where he’s RESPONSIBLY managing his diabetes. IF he proves to his mother and I that he can manage well enough alone, that’s our goal and we would be happy to step away and only monitor. But if he’s got poor management, we’ll continue making decisions for him whether he wants us too or not. Our goal is to have a strong, healthy child who grows into an equally strong and healthy young man, then grown man, then old man. As long as he’s a minor, we’ll always have final say in his management IF he doesn’t have good management on his own.

Part of his includes his ability to “be responsible” and wake up to alarms that he must learn to hear and react too when he has lows, or highs. If he shows us that he can wake up and self-manage, AWESOME…we’ll get more sleep; otherwise, whether he’s 13 years old, or 17 years, 11 months, and 29 days old…we’ll manage and continue enforcing to him the importance of GOOD MANAGEMENT so that he’s around for many years to come for all of those people who love him and want him around to bury his parents one day.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: How do you influence your teen’s diabetes management

I think I keep causing this problem. lol Sorry!

According to @Michel, this is a good problem to have. :smile: Splitting posts is what all the cool kids do.

4 Likes

:smile:

This can also be true with the Omnipod: when my son is turned over on his pump side, it can sometimes be hard to get the over-the-air connection to the remote, and you have to move it around like a wand searching for water…

2 Likes

There is an age where this becomes difficult, though, I think: conflict is difficult to deal with when you get into puberty. Our kids (all of them) tend to automatically take a position opposite ours when we argue. It is particularly true of boys and their father, in our household, or, I imagine, everywhere. This could be a life-and-death issue with diabetes. So we have been careful never to get diabetes into a generational conflict situation at home.

As a matter of fact, the most success that my husband has had in convincing my boys to take on an activity has been by never suggesting they take it up…

But Liam is not there yet, so you have a lot of time to figure it out!

2 Likes

I agree with your sentiment on the boys/father conflict, or teen boys and everybody conflict which is the way it seems some of the time with those hormones raging.

In our house, the way we have handled this is to ask our son to set the goals, ideally with no input from us, then all we do is make sure there is a system in place to hold him accountable to his decision. We also ask that he tell us when he changes the goals, although we haven’t always been successful with this part.

5 Likes