Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Welcome Michael!

The Freestyle Libre cgm is a lot more affordable than Dexcom, and a few people have posted threads on here describing their success with it. The main difference between the Libre and the Dexcom is that the Libre doesn’t alarm. It can still be really helpful though, as Chris pointed out.

I think there’s an additional device you can buy that enables alarms- the Nightrider. I don’t know much about that though.

1 Like

Welcome @fortyonesthemike! You’ll find lots of helpful advice and people to steer you in the right direction :rowing_man:

As @Katers87 said, the Libre is awesome… awesomely affordable, that is… doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of other CGM systems, but lots of data that will provide insight to meals, night time issues, and identification of particular trends that need addressing. I love it, don’t use it as my ‘main’ CGM anymore but use it as my second ‘verifier’ (I wear both the Libre sensors as well as the Guardian sensors for my Medtronic 670G pump/ CGM at the same time). Insurance hasn’t balked about it and neither does my CDE. She knows what I’m up to :rofl:

At any rate, enjoy the site and CHEERS!

1 Like

Hi Mike!

I think I saw someone else mention the Libre, but I’ll add that I wear it as my second sensor, a backup to my Guardian, and although it sometimes reads a little on the high end, it is as good, if not BETTER than my guardian. I pay $75/month. As far as maintenance, it’s a dream come true with no calibrations and being able to plug in the reader at any time. I still do finger sticks, and kind of a lot, but that’s only because I’m crazy. :grin:

Anyway, this is a great group, and if there’s a place where you might find some great tips on managing blood sugar, this is it. Ask lots of questions, and put them to work. :grin:

3 Likes

This is absolutely amazing and quite an indictment of the Medtronic CGM, that people find it highly beneficial to wear a second company’s sensor to compensate for shortcomings of the Medtronic Guardian. Wow.

5 Likes

Mind blowing, and annoying, too, no?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Yeeeaah. The Libre is typically almost spot-on within 4 points or so, (unless BG’S are rapidly changing) of my meter. Guardian has been off as much as 80 points. I umderstand it could be due to sensor placement, hydration level, etc… but still. Soooooooo :blush:

1 Like

Wow. I was just poking around and I discovered I had accidentally muted this and one other topic.

So WELCOME to everyone who’s joined in the last six months or so. I wasn’t being rude. Honest.

3 Likes

Ok I may have hit wrong buttons and opps flagged someone looking for reply button on this site. Hi I’m Angela Jane I have been living and doing life with insulin since 1993. So far along the way had healthy baby, worked city parks, was state park worker and now camera photographer and my own newsletter editor and road trip crew leader as well as mascot handler. Hello everyone. I am a handcrafted too. Angela Jane reporting :beetle:

8 Likes

Welcome @AngelaJane, glad you joined!

1 Like

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome @AngelaJane! I hope you can share some of your photography with us as well as your experience.

1 Like

Welcome @AngelaJane ! Sounds like you’ve got it licked.

1 Like

Welcome @AngelaJane, we newbies are looking forward to your contributions. 1993 is a good long time.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I just stumbled onto this site by chance. Looks like a nice place to hang out. I’m a civil engineer and have a variety of interests (besides diabetes!) to keep me busy: homebrewing, hunting, fishing, strength training, running kiddos to activities, etc etc.

I’ve been a T1 since diagnosis at age 28, 14 years ago. I’ve been on MDI with Lantus and Humalog since the beginning, though in recent years I’ve used Humalog and Regular approximately equally for bolus, and Levemir for basal. No CGM or pump. It has been quite an education since diagnosis!

8 Likes

Welcome, @mike_g! I’m a newbie, too, but I apparently talk a lot! :slight_smile: It’s a GREAT group who has helped me a LOT!

3 Likes

Welcome @mike_g ! If you have interest in learning about every basal routine there is, you’ve come to the right place. I think that although we have a fairly good contingent of MDIers in our group, most of the members seem to be pumpers. Also, we have members who use everything from R to Tresiba, and everything in between. Whatever keeps you in control!

2 Likes

Hey @mike_g, looking forward to hearing more about your use of R. I am part of the parent contingent on here, that lives with diabetes but doesn’t have it.

Now your hobbies sound awesome, I used to all grain brew a mean honey stout, and my son is learning how to bowhunt, so i am the cook in camp when he goes out with the real hunters and tries to bag a deer with a bow.

We are almost done with the running kiddo’s to events, my youngest gets his license next year, so that will be nice.

2 Likes

Welcome @mike_g

I am a pumper but my 2 year old is an MDIer so I have both covered :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

@Chris, honey stout sounds good. I’ve brewed for 20 years now, and mainly brew for others these days. A recent batch was inspired by Young’s double chocolate stout - that one was particularly well received. As far as hunting goes, I’ve not learned how to use a bow - too little time. Maybe in 20 years or so!

The use of R could be a whole thread for me. Briefly summarized: I stumbled onto it by accident, during a hospitalization (ER doc gave me that instead of Humalog). It is especially good for low carb meals. I had a lot of post meal mild hypos over the years, due to Humalog acting too fast for low carb meals. Dr. Bernstein recommends its use for his low carb methods, and it all makes sense to me in hindsight (read most of his book at diagnosis, but didn’t fully implement his methods by the book…). Also, R can be purchased OTC at walmart for $25, which is much better than Humalog (even purchased in Canada, Humalog is about $50/vial).

@T1Allison - thanks!

docslotnick: I did switch myself to Lantus 2x daily,back when, and now continue that approach with Levemir 2x daily. That is really useful for Levemir, which doesn’t really last 24 hours, especially at relatively low dosage (I’m at about 0.16 U/KG total daily basal). The same is true with Lantus - if memory serves, they used relatively high dosage to achieve appearance of 24 hours activity (like 0.3 or 0.4 Units/KG or even higher).

Aaron: Wow. I often wonder how much of a struggle it’d be with a young child with T1D. I’ve got 4 kids, ranging from 17YO to 10YO, but none so far have inherited it.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Mike and I’m dad to a newly diagnosed T1D 7 year old Ryan (less than 3 weeks ago). Rounding out our household is my wife and Ryan’s mom, Lisa and his twin sister Sydney.

We are currently using Humalog and Lantus with lots of finger pokes but will start working towards a pump soon. We’ve also already started the process for a Dexcom 6. I’m a very analytical person so I can’t wait for all the data points.

I’m very interested in finding others in our area who have been through what we are about to experience. If anyone is in the Chicagoland area or knows people who are, I’d appreciate an introduction. We submitted the online form at JDRF to get connected with an outreach volunteer but haven’t heard anything so I thought I’d check in here.

Looking forward to being part of the conversation!

7 Likes