Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Hi drwebber!
Welcome to FUD. This is the best D site for parents. The smartest D parents in the world post here and there is a lot to learn from them all.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @shott, I am looking forward to reading some of your posts!

1 Like

Iā€™m a father of 13 year old T1 diagnosed 2 years ago. Looking for sharing of info and support other sharing my experiences.

5 Likes

Welcome @vilhelmmar, My son was diagnosed about 2 years ago at the age of 12. There is a bunch of information contained in our discussions, but even more support from those in the same boat. Welcome!

1 Like

Nice to meet you, @vilhelmmar! Iā€™m parent to a, nearly 4 year old, who was diagnosed Feb 2016. Looking forward to learning from you! Lots of parents of T1ā€™s here so lots of knowledge!

2 Likes

@Thasgolas welcome Thas! Glad to see you here.

And welcome to all the other new members joining, sometimes we donā€™t see youā€™re here until you start posting!

3 Likes

Welcome, @vilhelmmar! My T1 son is 13 and was diagnosed 2 years ago. I look forward to your posts!

1 Like

@Thasgolas, it is great to see you here, welcome!

2 Likes

@Thasgolas, welcome. And donā€™t get any ideas. They have a visceral hatred of Doublets over on this side.

5 Likes

Did you see that they rebooted the doublets thread elsewhere? That was exciting and unforeseen. What a curve ball!

3 Likes

Welcome @Thasgolas. I can only speak for myself, but I donā€™t hate doublets. Itā€™s a great post-padder for any community. I just want our community to be mostly made up of substantive posts that help the community and people dealing with Diabetes. Weā€™re all about levity, but in moderation. Like our Singlets vs Doublets thread, or our WKFUD all-dedication line.

Welcome again and I look forward to reading your posts!

5 Likes

Clarification: Weā€™re all wise-asses or use humor as part of our therapy, so while humor is intermixed in our threads, we donā€™t want thousands of worthless posts that donā€™t have any added value. Hope that clarifies things. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hi!

im 40 years old that has had diabetes for almost 11 years (was LADA and now type 1). I am from Massachusetts where it is cold right now and i dont like it. over on tu im amy2 but i decided to do something different over here. I started off doing MDI then in 2010 i started on my first animas pump named kermit because it was green. When kermit malfunctioned i got another green one named yoda. Yoda malfunctioned and got a loaner blue and then got a blue one who is currently named tardis (doctor who). I use the dexcom that is attached to the animas vibe and in the process of deciding what to do now that animas is going out of business. Overall i enjoy music and penguins (an obession of mine). so that is me in a nutshell.

6 Likes

Our sons pump name is Fred and his CGM is called Bob! Itā€™s funny how do many people name their d supplies! Welcome! Great to have you here!

2 Likes

Hey Amy !!!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

you mean im not that weird in naming my pump! WAHOO! when i get another one even tho it isnt going to be a colored one ill still name it :smiley:

1 Like

hi thomas!

1 Like

@amymc, it is great to see you join us, welcome!

My teen son is not quite two years into T1. We have three cats (and one dog). But our pump and CGM donā€™t have names (yet).

Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum!

1 Like

ive already commented on a lot of threads :D. and yes i like to name my pumps. it makes it fun and not boring and not sad to know oh i have diabetes, etc.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! This site seems to have a lot of well informed people, and Iā€™m glad you created it! :smile:

Iā€™m a fellow T1, and Iā€™ve had diabetes for 22 years (diagnosed at 8). Thankfully no complications as of yet (fingers crossed that continues)! I used to be on a pump, but had trouble with the sites and switched to MDI (Lantus/Humalog) about 2 years ago. Just before switching, I started on the Dexcom G5, and I think thatā€™s been really helpful in tightening my control- though thereā€™s always, always more work to do on that front :wink:
Last A1c was 5.7, but my average blood sugar level is more around 130 w/ s.d. of 40 (my A1c has just always been lower than youā€™d expect based on my blood sugar levels).

I live in downtown Washington, DC and work as an actuary (all that carb counting paid off apparently). I love it here- though the overall mood of the city has changed a bit in the last year, and I often feel the urge to sneer as I walk past the white house. I live with an adorable, sweet cat that likely talks/meows more than a human would sigh. My family lives on the other side of the country, and I have a sister with T1, addisonā€™s, and thyroid disease (I think this is called Polyglandular autoimmune syndrome). She definitely got the short end of the stick, and Iā€™m honestly not sure how sheā€™s capable of dealing with all of it at such a young age. Iā€™m hopeful weā€™re genetically inclined against complications so she (and I!) wonā€™t have to deal with anymore crap.

I feel really lucky to have all the tools I need to manage my diabetes. I also think itā€™s awesome that we can reach out to other fellow T1ā€™s so easily with our questions (as far as management goes, you guys have waaaay better ideas than my doctors). Thanks for sharing all your experiences!

8 Likes