Welcome, introduce yourself here!

One of the few things on which I agree wholeheartedly with you, my friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello! i have followed you guys here and im glad i did! i am emily. im from nyc but have lived in spain for the last 15 years. i studied in valencia while at university and loved it so much i had to come back. i love travel and have lived in scotland and poland as well, both great places to be, but very cold!

i have had t1 for about 5 years.

i am a dog and parrot person, though i agree that there is too much licking!

right now i am trainig to do a sprint triathlon, so any advice will certainly be welcome. i will put up a thread about it for advice!

so good to be here!

4 Likes

Hi all. Got my invite a bit late, but better late than never!

Iā€™ve been blessed with T1 diabetes since age 19, 46 years ago, just a couple of weeks before I started dental school. Itā€™s been quite a ride.

From peeing on a stick to find out if I was over 180 mg/dl six or eight hours ago, and not being able to do a damn thing about it, to getting my readings every five minutes on a watch and being able to correct if Iā€™m over 140 mg/dl with insulin that works in ten minutes is my gamut.

Iā€™ll be writing some articles concerning dentistry and diabetes.

Itā€™s great to be here!

5 Likes

You are earlier than most! We are still testing, so only testers and content editors are in:-)

Emily, this is so cool! We lived in Barcelona for half a year a few years ago. We LOVED it so much that we have decided to spend another half year in Spain in a year or so. We are thinking of possibly Grenada or Sevilla (It MUST be Andalucia, because my family lived there many, many years ago before they were expelled by King Ferdinand in 1492 - it is a ā€œreturn to the rootsā€ trip).

2 Likes

Michel, I have learned to trim the catsā€™ claws on a regular basis, really helps save furniture. Here is a photo of the best type of clippers to use.

Five of ours are rescues or strays. The old guy I found as a scared little runt at the pet store when I went to buy iguana chow. When our daughter went off to college, I connected with the reptile keeper at the zoo and her family adopted him.

2 Likes

Hello, I live in Georgia, as the military saw fit to send me here when I requested Alaska or any place with lots of snow. So much for cross country skiing. I was diagnosed Type 1 in May 2013, after being admitted to CCU in DKA with a BS of 1036. It would have been nice if this had happened while I was in the military, sadly it happened long after, with no health insurance. Lucky me! I had no symptoms, just came on quickly. Hospital diagnosed as Type 1, doctor I see believes no adult gets Type 1 so he changed my diagnosis to Type 2. I am on MDI, using Novolog and Levemir. Right now, I am trying to get back into shape so I can do a 40-mile charity bike ride for Wounded Warriors. I have 7 rescued cats, 3 of them are polydactyls with opposable thumbs. My picture is of Hemingway, one of the polydactyls, as a kitten. Some people believe all polydactyl cats are descendants of the ones on Ernest Hemingwayā€™s property. I also have a rescue Irish Wolfhound that thinks she is a lap dog. I am so happy to see the new site up and running!

7 Likes

Right on, my brother teaches at Lake Oswego HS

Awesome, we live on the other side of the lake, and my kids go to Lakeridge, but they are both awesome. What subject does your brother teach?

Heā€™s relatively young in the teacher racket so he gets jerked around and made to teach the classes the more senior teachers donā€™t want toā€¦ so he considers himself a PE teacher by trade but ends up teaching things as far ranging as ā€œcomputersā€ to health to wood shop to occasionally PE

He may actually be at Tigard HS now, he gets bounced around so much I canā€™t keep track

@literaturesnob18, I had a good laugh when I read that! I have similar experiences from a few short years with the navy.

Great pic- I read about these polydactyls but have never seen one!

I am sure you are able to reach your daily exercise requirements just lifting your Wolfhound:-) What a great breed! We have a smallish golden Hovawart, about 85 lbs ā€“ itā€™s a shepherd breed comparable in characteristics to the Great Pyrenees but very different looking.

Hello there! Iā€™m a relative newcomer to Diabetes (diagnosed T1 a little over 2 years ago at 54). I have a Dex G5 CGM and use Tresiba and Humalog (MDI).

My husband and I currently live outside of Chicago (with our 2 dogs and cat). Our oldest daughter lives in LA and our youngest is finishing up college in Chicago. My father was in the Army so we moved all over the world. I was born in Italy, lived in Hawaii most of my childhood, then made stops in Fairfax, VA and Brussels, Belgium on the way to Illinois.

My nomadic upbringing (which I loved) taught me to respect, appreciate and seek out people with very broad ranges of experiences, beliefs, and perspectives. I was able to find some of that on TUD untilā€¦ well, we all know how that ended up.

Iā€™m so grateful that you all took the initiative to start a place for us to be our true Diabetic selves!! Thank you and glad to be on board with all of you. :nerd_face:

Lisa

6 Likes

Lisa, itā€™s weird how so many of us are somehow related to the services: I saw that several intros are also connected.

I am also a Navy brat, and spent some (short) time in the navy too:-)

1 Like

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a bit less than a year ago. I am currently using a CGM and trying to get a pump. I am 12 and looking to expand my knowledge on how to control diabetes. I am looking forward to talking with you all.

I am a real bookworm and musician. I enjoy volleyball and swimming. I live with my mom and dad and four cats and dogs. I live in a rural area so there isnā€™t much to do around my home, except for sports and school-provided extra-curriculars.

This is my first time on a forum, and I am looking forward to it. My parents let me join so itā€™s OK for me to be here even though I am 12.

13 Likes

K!!!
OMG, so glad you are here! Welcome!

Thatā€™s awesome, I am glad you joined us. Canā€™t wait to hear from you on the forum!

Eric
:wink:

2 Likes

Hi Eric! I am really glad to see you on the forum.

:v:

I love your gloves! But they would be a bit dangerous here in Wisconsin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diabetic running gloves! You gotta get to those finger tips somehow.

But you are right, at times my fingers get so cold I canā€™t get blood out of them. I actually use a much bigger gauge lancet during races just so I can get blood.

2 Likes

Kaelan, weā€™ll have to talkā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m Tia, i live with my husband and my two young sons in the city of San Francisco. Our younger son, who is almost 3, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes just over a year ago.
Our little one goes to preschool and with the help of NightScout, an artificial pancreas (openAPS), copious text messaging and a ton of glucose tabs and gummies, we are able to manage him largely remotely. The teachers treat lows but we administer insulin for highs/meals. At least a few times a month he needs to come home from daycare because his pump site has dislodged/his sensor stopped working/he has an intractable high and canā€™t eat lunch.
Itā€™s been a huge strain on our family, but weā€™re slowly working our way to a new normal. That doesnā€™t mean I still donā€™t wish desperately for a cure, or cry when my son has had a particularly hard day with blood sugar. But fewer days feel like an emergency nowadays.

8 Likes