Welcome, introduce yourself here!

“Been here” a while but never introduced myself, so here it is:
I’m 55 years old, diagnosed with “diabetes” in my 50th birthday, after going to the doctor to treat an infection (that turned out likely unrelated to diabetes). I was originally diagnosed as T2, but after my internal insulin production (as measured by multiple c-peptide tests) dropped at a rate more quickly than expected for T2, my endo changed my Dx to Type 1. (I don’t know if he was right, but it certainly helped me with insurance companies!).
In general, my diabetes has been relatively easy to manage by the standards of most. I had no symptoms or complications at diagnosis, and continue as such; however, I tend to be hyper-sensitive to highs: highs over 145 give me headaches, over 180 make me sleepy. I’m partially hypo-unaware - I cannot tell that I’m low if my BG is reasonably stable - only when it’s dropping or rising quickly can I tell that I’m low.
At diagnosis (Dx) I as asymptomatic, at a healthy weight and exercised every day.
My A1c was 11.8. At that start, I tried most of the Type 2 meds. Though they had some effect, I experienced serious side-effects from each of the, forcing me to stop. I am currently on Apidra thru an (Animus) insulin pump, (Dexcom) CGM. I take no other meds. though my endo would like me on an anti-cholestrol med - because “I’m diabetic.”

9 Likes