Welcome, introduce yourself here!

Having been married since your diagnosis, I would say this never changes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Take my word from someone who just tried MDI for 4 months after 11 years of pumping, you’ll be back! I love the ancient Paradigm pumps, so easy to bolus/change settings without a million FDA-mandated confirmation screens and button pushes!

1 Like

I would like to try looping too, I have a Paradigm 722 in working condition except for a small crack that didn’t affect it last time I tried it. How does one go about it? I have read the Intel Edison boards to control the pump were discontinued.

1 Like

Oh yeah! I have taken a few pump breaks over the past year and always go back. It is just really nice to be free once in awhile :grinning:

This is the link I found - Loop Docs. Once I go back on my pump I am going to give this a go. I just can’t break myself from the convenience of the Paradigm!

2 Likes

Ah, I’m sure that is true. My parents have been worrying for the past 22 years, and he’s only had to worry for the last 3! Ha!

2 Likes

In addition to the https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs link, there’s also a local thread about it here on Fu. Loop: Getting Started

4 Likes

Welcome @allison!

2 Likes

Thank you!! This is great!

2 Likes

@allison Glad you’ve found your way here!

2 Likes

Hello all,

To the founders of this site, thank you. Looking forward to reading post from the community. I have a list of other diabetes sites but most of those are heavily commercialized.

I’m 54 (almost… 02/29), married and have 2 daughters. I was hit with LADDA when I turned 48. It was an awful experience physically and emotionally. I had no insurance and the first doctor I visited had diagnosed Type 2. I also lost 30 lbs over 4 weeks. Being really physically active – running 5 miles 3x a week as well as 1.5 hours of strength training on those days, those 30lbs was all muscle. And I really had no info on what to do other than the crappy 10th generation copy of a 3 page general TD2 guidelines the doc gave me. It took another several months to get the right diagnosis from an Endo and then another 6 months to gain a bit of that weight back after he put me on the right course of action. That whole year I could not get insured as no one would insure me so the out of pocket was huge - bloodwork, insulin, other meds, test strips…

Fast forward to 2018. Even though I gained decent insurance through the ACA over the last few years my wife and I are again without insurance for 2018. I could not afford the extra $1000 a month increase from BCBSofIL - going from $800 to $1800 a month. So, I’m looking for ways to survive sans insurance.

Discovering FUdiabetes I’m hoping to gain insight into how others cope. Seems there’s quite a big community here. I’ve not come across many LADDA communities, so looking forward to reading how others handle their LADDA.

[split into Is it OK to order insulin from Canada?]

-a

10 Likes

@Arnolfo, welcome ot the site, so glad you found us!

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis :frowning: My son is 13, and was diagnosed as a T1 2 years ago.

I know how difficult this must be for you and I am sorry. Have you explored your state insurance high-risk pool options?

I will split your thread on Mark’s Pharmacy as a separate one, as it is worth of its own :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the site!! I’m sorry that your diagnosis was incorrect the first time. I’ve heard of this happening too often unfortunately.

That premium increase is huge! I haven’t heard of Mark’s pharmacy before, but it sounds like a good option. There are a few posts from other members on this site who have found alternative options while not having insurance. Their posts contained some good suggestions.

3 Likes

Welcome @arnolfo! You are in the right place to get answers from experience, and a variety of resources. Glad to have you!

3 Likes

@Allison, welcome to the forum!

Maybe you can tell your husband that if you loop you are less likely to have bad lows at night. I think almost everyone ends up having bad lows at night some time or another. It happened to me once in sleepaway camp.

I’d like to loop before I go to college for that reason.

3 Likes

Welcome @arnolfo, glad you found us. No commercialization, just community and advice. Thanks for joining, and I hope you are successfully able to negotiate your insulin purchases.

3 Likes

Welcome to the group. Many folks here with a lot of great insights.

Are you in Illinois?

2 Likes

Welcome @arnolfo! I feel your pain about your diagnosis, and like you am here for the wealth of information and camaraderie. This is a great blog to get information and suggestions and the people are super nice too!

2 Likes

Yes. In the burbs just 30 odd miles west of Chicago.

1 Like

Thanks, looking forward to sharing and gaining new insights!

2 Likes

Welcome @arnolfo! We have quite a few threads created where we discuss your concerns. It’s something that everyone is either going through, or fears going through at some point in their lives. Here’s one such thread.

Very nice to meet you and look forward to interacting with you in the future.

1 Like