Welcome, introduce yourself here!

@Thasgolas welcome Thas! Glad to see you here.

And welcome to all the other new members joining, sometimes we don’t see you’re here until you start posting!

3 Likes

Welcome, @vilhelmmar! My T1 son is 13 and was diagnosed 2 years ago. I look forward to your posts!

1 Like

@Thasgolas, it is great to see you here, welcome!

2 Likes

@Thasgolas, welcome. And don’t get any ideas. They have a visceral hatred of Doublets over on this side.

5 Likes

Did you see that they rebooted the doublets thread elsewhere? That was exciting and unforeseen. What a curve ball!

3 Likes

Welcome @Thasgolas. I can only speak for myself, but I don’t hate doublets. It’s a great post-padder for any community. I just want our community to be mostly made up of substantive posts that help the community and people dealing with Diabetes. We’re all about levity, but in moderation. Like our Singlets vs Doublets thread, or our WKFUD all-dedication line.

Welcome again and I look forward to reading your posts!

5 Likes

Clarification: We’re all wise-asses or use humor as part of our therapy, so while humor is intermixed in our threads, we don’t want thousands of worthless posts that don’t have any added value. Hope that clarifies things. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hi!

im 40 years old that has had diabetes for almost 11 years (was LADA and now type 1). I am from Massachusetts where it is cold right now and i dont like it. over on tu im amy2 but i decided to do something different over here. I started off doing MDI then in 2010 i started on my first animas pump named kermit because it was green. When kermit malfunctioned i got another green one named yoda. Yoda malfunctioned and got a loaner blue and then got a blue one who is currently named tardis (doctor who). I use the dexcom that is attached to the animas vibe and in the process of deciding what to do now that animas is going out of business. Overall i enjoy music and penguins (an obession of mine). so that is me in a nutshell.

6 Likes

Our sons pump name is Fred and his CGM is called Bob! It’s funny how do many people name their d supplies! Welcome! Great to have you here!

2 Likes

Hey Amy !!!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

you mean im not that weird in naming my pump! WAHOO! when i get another one even tho it isnt going to be a colored one ill still name it :smiley:

1 Like

hi thomas!

1 Like

@amymc, it is great to see you join us, welcome!

My teen son is not quite two years into T1. We have three cats (and one dog). But our pump and CGM don’t have names (yet).

Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum!

1 Like

ive already commented on a lot of threads :D. and yes i like to name my pumps. it makes it fun and not boring and not sad to know oh i have diabetes, etc.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! This site seems to have a lot of well informed people, and I’m glad you created it! :smile:

I’m a fellow T1, and I’ve had diabetes for 22 years (diagnosed at 8). Thankfully no complications as of yet (fingers crossed that continues)! I used to be on a pump, but had trouble with the sites and switched to MDI (Lantus/Humalog) about 2 years ago. Just before switching, I started on the Dexcom G5, and I think that’s been really helpful in tightening my control- though there’s always, always more work to do on that front :wink:
Last A1c was 5.7, but my average blood sugar level is more around 130 w/ s.d. of 40 (my A1c has just always been lower than you’d expect based on my blood sugar levels).

I live in downtown Washington, DC and work as an actuary (all that carb counting paid off apparently). I love it here- though the overall mood of the city has changed a bit in the last year, and I often feel the urge to sneer as I walk past the white house. I live with an adorable, sweet cat that likely talks/meows more than a human would sigh. My family lives on the other side of the country, and I have a sister with T1, addison’s, and thyroid disease (I think this is called Polyglandular autoimmune syndrome). She definitely got the short end of the stick, and I’m honestly not sure how she’s capable of dealing with all of it at such a young age. I’m hopeful we’re genetically inclined against complications so she (and I!) won’t have to deal with anymore crap.

I feel really lucky to have all the tools I need to manage my diabetes. I also think it’s awesome that we can reach out to other fellow T1’s so easily with our questions (as far as management goes, you guys have waaaay better ideas than my doctors). Thanks for sharing all your experiences!

8 Likes

Hey Katers87, welcome to the site! Glad you are here. Lots of good people here.

I did Lantus for a lot of years. One thing I learned is that it didn’t really last 24 hours like they claimed. So I got much better results by splitting it into 2 doses to cover the day. And then I got more fancy and split it into uneven amounts because I need more basal at night. :wink:

Depending on how it works for you, something to consider. But if it’s working well as it is, leave it alone!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I currently do split my lantus dose into 2 doses because I need more insulin during the day than at night. I’m switching insurance companies in January and am planning to switch to Tresiba and eventually Novolog. I’ve heard good things about Tresiba. I’ll likely ask for recommendations from you all when I make the switch, but please feel free to give them now if you have any! I always like to plan ahead.

2 Likes

Not sure how that works out with Tresiba.

Welcome @Katers87!

Looking forward to interacting and learning from you in the future!

1 Like

It doesn’t really work with tresiba but many people find it no longer necessary if they switch to tresiba—- eg they need more Lantus or whatever else at certain times of the day but do really well with Tresiba 1x daily. It’s not necessarily that your body actually needs more or less insulin at certain times of days, but that certain types of insulins absorb more or less efficiently at different times of day… in my experience anyway

5 Likes