Waterproof RileyLink case announced

I image everyone who has purchased a RileyLink in the past has already received this email, but I wanted to post it just in case you have not seen it yet.

Looks pretty cool! Waterproof and with wireless charging!

I am not fully 100% Looping, I do it on occasion for those times it makes sense for me. So I am not sure this is something I will get.

But for those who do it more (not sure of the full list - @ClaudnDaye, @Trying, @dm61, @bpollina, @bkh, @Millz, @TiaG, others?) maybe something to consider?

Would love your thoughts on it!

5 Likes

Damn that looks cool. So $210 buys the unit with the Riley installed? That’s all you need?

I’d been not paying much attention to these threads in the past but I’m getting more and more interested in it.

Is there a good thread that walks through the whole setup step by step from collecting the supplies to having a fully functional Omnipod loop?

1 Like

Never mind!

Are you sure? It sounds to me like it’s 85 for the case and 210 for the case with the guts preassmbled

Yes, you are right. I clicked the order options, and $210 is indeed for everything.

Sorry!

Yes, there are a bunch of threads on FUD about it. I am not the right person to ask where though, people above know it better, they would be a better resource.

You need a script for pods, a Mac to build the software on, an Apple developer license, and the RileyLink.

It’s not terribly expensive. The most costly part is the Mac to build on, but you can buy an old one from eBay.

@Sam I think the best reference for setting up Loop for OmniPod is the LoopDoc site itself:

https://loopkit.github.io/loopdocs/

Thanks, @Eric, yes, I received the email. Not sure I’ll purchase it at this time since I already have a backup RL, but waterproof and wireless charging is tempting!

2 Likes

My wife has a MacBook Air. I don’t know how to use it. Wtf why do I have to write software? That’s not really my thing

You don’t write the code, you compile it so the developers are absolved of responsibility since the person compiling it is the responsible party.

1 Like

There are step-by-step instructions with screenshots. You don’t need to be a programmer, you just need to be able to follow the directions.

But you do need to be able to operate the Mac. Since I only knew unix/linux and Windows, it took me significant time and lots of searches before I could do simple operations on a MacBook, such as right-click, scroll, launch a program, look into a directory, and so on. Actually building the loop software was the easier part.

1 Like

I looked at it but didn’t get one. It has a protrusion to accommodate the omniloop antenna, which I don’t need, and it uses wireless charging which breaks my routine: when I go to bed I drop the phone on the wireless charger and plug in the RL. I don’t want to switch and put the RL on the wireless charger because I may be lifting the phone up a few times during the night if there are alerts to deal with, so I don’t want the phone tethered.

1 Like

I ordered one the day it was announced. I’ll let you know how it works once received. They aren’t expecting to ship the first ones until April 15th.

2 Likes

@Sam I’m not a “coder” or software geek and found the build instructions pretty simple. I read up on the process before trying it and once I pulled the trigger it went better than I expected.

The Loop folks set up a step by step “advent” type calendar that walks you through each item needed.
(https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheLoopedGroup/permalink/2220876311462356/)

I’m here to help if you have any questions.

4 Likes

I myself like the case it came in and use a rubber small case to put it in. Seems a bit pricey. And most importantly for me, I have to reset it just about daily, so I need access to the on/off switch which this would not allow access to I think. Not really worth it for wireless charging.

4 Likes

What is making you reset yours once per day??? I haven’t reset mine one time in the months I’ve had it.

But I’m also not getting the pricey wireless covers… i don’t mind the once per day charge and i already have a thick case for it.

1 Like

Recently I’ve also have to reset my RL, not daily, but nearly. I’m not sure why, but rileylink.org does offer a service to repair them. So far, reset solves the issue though.

2 Likes

Well, I guess it is not quite daily, but what happens is that for whatever reason it says that it can’t communicate (time out) and the only thing that works is a power cycle. That always brings it back. Unsure what causes it.

2 Likes

I’ve had those messages as well and restarting my phone and making sure the g5 app is sharing data always fixes my issues.

1 Like

I’ve had spells of a few days in a row where the RL communication with the pump fails (garbled uninterpretable data apparently received from the pump.) Rebooting the RL is an easy reliable fix. Restarting LOOP only very occasionally solves it. Just rebooting the phone sometimes fixes things, but usually I end up having to reboot the RL anyway to fix it. Then after a few bad days everything goes back to normal. Who knows…

3 Likes