Unexpectedly Robust Discussion of Bidets and Toilet Construction

Because the CDC is now recommending everyone should spend time in a small enclosed space where hot air has just been blown all over Kim’s naked butt! :joy:

3 Likes

OK. I just ordered two. Jeez. You guys. I can’t believe I actually did this.

4 Likes

You’ll thank me later.

Want to post a link to ones you ordered ?

1 Like

https://www.brondell.com/simplespa-thinline-bidet/

Does not need power, which is good because I don’t have power nearby right now. But cold, like yours.

2 Likes

That’s very similar to mine. There are others that plumb into hot water under sink but that seems impractical because you’d be waiting for several minutes for water to warm up which isn’t realistic

To get into the ones that heat their own water you’re looking at several hundred dollars and know-how for how to add a gfci outlet into your bathroom or hire someone to do it

Btw excellent move ordering more than one. I installed mine upstairs but spend most of my time downstairs. It’s a terrible quandary to be debating if you want to go clear across the house or have a dirty butt for rest of day. And I’d be lying if I said it hadn’t slipped my mind more than once leading to be shuffling across the house and up the stairs with my pants around my ankles.

4 Likes

I can’t decide if this phrasing makes you sound like a luxury car salesman or someone selling shady stuff out of the trunk of a car. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

And originally bidets were used by men… to sooth their heinies after a long day on horseback.

4 Likes

I first discovered Japanese toilet seats when working in Japan, which I would visit for a few weeks every couple year starting about a decade ago. I considered buying one in Tokyo and bringing it back on the plane, but I wasn’t sure if the plumbing would be the same so decided to buy it back in the US. If you’re going to install a Japanese bidet seat, you should get the best which are the ones made by Toto. They are made in Japan (of course) and used in the all the hotels, including luxury hotels, I stayed at and built to last. The one I installed a decade ago is still working perfectly. My wife, who initially told me she would never use it, finally asked me to install one in the another bathroom so now we have one on both floors.

There are two sizes, for extended or normal length toilets. We have one of each. The toilet seats cost more than a new toilet, but are worth it. They are easy to install if you have any plumbing background. It took me about an hour. You do need a GFCI outlet, but that is code in all states so there should be one available. Someone said electricity is only used to heat the toilet seat - that isn’t true with a Toto. Cold water is plumbed in and heated in a small tank incorporated into the toilet seat, and used for the spray water as well as the seat. There are lots of adjustments - whether seats or only spray is heated, how hot water temp of both should be, how strong the spray should be, whether in economy predictive mode, etc.

Some of the more expensive ones in the Toto line come with remote controls, but based on my experience with our TV remote, I didn’t want to go searching through the house with my pants down looking for the remote (my wife seconded that vote), so I bought ones with built in controls which are easy to use and don’t wander away. The newer one I bought has air dry, that isn’t essential but a nice feature if you want it.

4 Likes

Yes the best bidets come from Japan. It’s no small coincidence that it’s also the one place that sells well-worn underwear in vending machines.

I tried to keep my usage of the vending machines to soft drinks, beer, and the occasional dried squid. I congratulate you on your adventurousness, however.

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

This thread has made me laugh out loud again and again. You guys crack me up! I’ve been telling my friends via video chat about this thread, and nobody believes me. But the diabetics are totally on to something! I want to be able to get behind it, but kind of can’t. I’ve tried them – maybe I need to order one (or two) and try again? :rofl: :joy: Turns out, I realized I only need to order one – because we only have one toilet. I could have two, but I would just be hoarding at that point – and probably it would be awkward to come into my living room and find a toilet seat on one of the pieces of furniture.

7 Likes

The first time is venturing into unfamiliar territory… but so are all the best things in life

3 Likes

It’s Time to Ditch Toilet Paper Forever and Embrace the Bidet - The Ringer

1 Like

So how do the bidet converts feel now that TP is starting to reappear in some stores? Do you view it like an ex-girlfriend who had control over you…and you were terrified to leave her…but now when you cross paths at the only open “essential businesses” you realize that you actually just feel sorry for her and it never would’ve worked out?

5 Likes

@T1Allison, such a cynic, tsk tsk tsk :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like it was a toxic relationship. I never want to see her again, and I feel sorry for whoever falls for her trickery and charms next… and although I feel sorry for them, I still don’t want to be their friend.

2 Likes

I think you misunderstood @T1Allison’s image. The ex-girlfriend is the bidet cover. You are talking about the TP, which I assume would be the ex-ex-girlfriend with whom you might renew.

1 Like

Oh… suppose so. Anyways I’m never going back to tp… neither will you

2 Likes

I should have written that more clearly. I meant TP as the ex-girlfriend @Sam sometimes sees around…

1 Like