Unexpectedly Robust Discussion of Bidets and Toilet Construction

We have a Toto Washlet (Japanese model). :innocent:

Until I came to live in the U.S., every place had bidets. They were a standard plumbing fixture. When I talked with U.S. plumbers about running hot water to the toilet as well as the cold because I wanted to install a toilet seat bidet, all I got were snickers. Never did get the hot water. Of course, this is very rural Wisconsin…

2 Likes

Just ordered a cheap one from amazon. You can count on me for a full report.

3 Likes

As I thought, my landlord doesn’t know much about toilets, but said as long as it’s something I can remove when I move out, I can install it. She did advise that I get someone who knows what they’re doing to do it, lest I cause a flood in my or neighbouring apartments (as I’d be on the hook for the expenses, though I do have insurance, but who knows if they’d cover a flood I directly caused).

I’ll have to do a bit more research before I order one. I do plan to order a travel one just to have in case toilet paper runs out. :wink: I have a colleague who ordered toilet paper on Amazon and said the shipping was 4-6 weeks out. That’s just crazy!

3 Likes

It’s way easy… anyone could do it it doesn’t require any skill. I’m confident you could easily do it by feel even if you can’t see it very well…

The “travel ones” I’ve seen are just basically powered spray bottles instead of the one that mounts under toilet seat.

Basically you need to remove the two screws that hold down toilet seat, place the attachment underneath the seat, then put the two screws back in. Then close the valve on wall, flush toilet disconnect tube from toilet, attach fitting to tube and reattach to valve and turn back on.

There will be some dripping when you disconnect the tube from the toilet but shouldn’t be more than you could catch with a bath towel

I don’t know how well you can see it but there’s an animated installation video in the pictures here

Luxe Bidet Neo 110 - Fresh Water Non-Electric Mechanical Bidet Toilet Seat Attachment (blue and white) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZLRSJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DXUAEbWWY9P1G

1 Like

6 Likes

You need a power source too. There won’t be an electrical outlet right by the toilet, an electrician is going to need to do some work. This will be the costly part.

These types don’t need power source

How does the water temperature get regulated? The seat temp? Music?

The temperature is regulated by your cold water supply, I would guess it would get less use in the winter, unless you like a brisk spray.

Well unless you’re really getting after it I’d think there’d be enough water in the line that’s inside the insulation of the house so that it should be room temperature

@Jason99 There is no temp regulation on the cheapest ones. On the second cheapest ones you can run a line to sink hot water line but that seems stupid because you’d have to run it for long enough for hot water to reach the sink… everyone mentions in the reviews that the room temperature ones aren’t bad

The version that was in our Hotel had an LCD touchscreen remote that you could change the temperature of the water and the seat. It’s very strange the first time you use it. The Japanese have to have everything high tech.

I want it modified so that it’s operated by a foot pedal like a sewing machine. I don’t want to be touching some twist knob that’s covered in fecal overspray! That’s how you’re gonna get the Covid19. The bidet and the poop spores in the hot zone there. The panic TP buying is going to ironically be the end of us all!

1 Like

I can’t help but wonder why people who feel they need 100 rolls of toilet paper for a potential 2 week quarantine hadn’t seen a doctor before this virus…

3 Likes

Only for the more expensive varieties. The power source for the ones I have is just a standard bathroom GFCI but the source is for heating the seat, you know, the round thing you sit on. It has an entertainingly accurate eco-mode which guesses when you are going to sit on it and, supposedly, heats it up beforehand [it does seem to work].

It doesn’t heat the water; that requires way, way more power than the bathroom has even at low flow rates and would, indeed, require a separate power supply.

My ground water is 53F. I can see there might be a slight problem in Alaska, but so far my butt has just felt happy.

These things also don’t require power for the spray; they work on the system pressure. So for me when the power is out (a not infrequent occurence) the seat is cold but the butt pleasure is still there. Of course, I am speaking as an unreformed male; I am reliably informed that the opposite sex has two forms of pleasure.

Oh, yes; European bidets and, indeed, the two forms thereof (rim and spray, IRC, I can’t remember the code terminology) do have both hot and cold supplies. European bidets are kindof different to the Japanese interpretation (which is pretty much what we are talking about); a European bidet can be done with an American shower stall (spray) or bath (rim).

Oh my, I never thought that statement would be uttered on FUD and I wouldn’t have to do my job as a mod and remove it. Congrats. Slow clap

2 Likes

The version you have doesn’t have a powered nozel that you can move back and forth remotely?

Great… as if women don’t spend enough time in the bathroom already

1 Like

I never clean my hands before pushing and holding the flush lever, I clean them afterward. I also love the way TP sometimes doesn’t quite work and I feel I really need to wash my hands.

These days I don’t face those curious dichotomies; I push the spray button before I start to wipe and therefore almost all of the shxt has been removed before I put my hands anywhere near it.

Still have to watch out for that lever though. Did the previous person disinfect it? Have you?

[I should add: the seat I have, and the one I encountered in Japan, have a “dry” mode, which does require electricity, @Jason99 may wish to add that to his list. The dry mode fans hot air in the general direction of my posterior and therefore, if I care to sit on the pot for the required 60 seconds, I don’t even need to wipe!]

ヽ(-Д-◎

You are correct, that was bullshxt. I had forgotten that the entertaining backwards and forwards “massage” option which I always used requires power and, therefore, that the extending of the nozzle does also require power.

I guess for US use we could put one of those pedal cycle electric generators in front of the pot and simply peddle to generate the power for the nozzle.

1 Like