Tslim and control IQ in Europe/Netherlands

Hi everybody.

After about a 2 year struggle with the insurance companies my girlfriend is finally eligable for a TSlim x2 pump.

She’s over the moon about it, but apparently in the Netherlands you are only able to get it with Basil IQ.

Is there any chance that somebody can send me in the right direction on how to get the update in the Netherlands / hack the pump in order to get the Control IQ software on there?

Kind regards and thank you all for all the information on this forum.
It has been very useful in the past.

3 Likes

Hi, welcome!
From Tandem’s website I gather that Control-IQ has been released in Denmark, Finland, Italy, Sweden and the UK, but not in other countries in Europe. I can’t find when it will be released in the Netherlands. Has your girlfriend’s internist or CDE (NL: diabetesverpleegkundige) been able to find out when Control-IQ will be made available? I doubt whether the updating process is hackable. Tandem seems to have secured the process pretty well.

3 Likes

@Bzerk, Mazel Tov on your girlfriend’s success!

My guess is that they will release it as soon as the Netherlands approve it. It may possibly be an EU-wide decision?

I am guessing it won’t be too long, as they are riding a wave of approvals.

2 Likes

Why Control IQ is good, Basil IQ is very good and some folks actually prefer over Control IQ.

So I wouldn’t be too concerned about the delay.

1 Like

first of all;
thank you all for the quick responses.

@Boerenkool My girlfriend does have an internist (Diabeter), they don’t know the date when Control IQ will be released.
They are making headway, but it has been out for a little over 2 years i believe, and i as far as i know they haven’t starting testing with it yet.

@Michel: According to Boerenkool’s post, already a few EU countries are able to get Control IQ. I know there is talk of it in the netherlands, but like i mentioned above, as far as i know there aren’t any actual test with it yet.

Jim26: She is thrilled about having Basil IQ, cause even though she’s doing an awesome job controlling her bloodsugar levels, hypo’s still happen. So the Basil IQ might be a great tool to help with that.
But am i understanding correctly that you have to choose between Control IQ or Basil IQ?
I thought you were able to activate both of them at the same time (Basil IQ for the lows, Control IQ for the highs).

Again; thanks for the responses.

3 Likes

On Control IQ you can get suspend on predicted low, no worry.

1 Like

Control-IQ controls both lows and highs … but it’s algorithm for controlling lows is actually different than that used in Basal-IQ.

While I have and like C-IQ, once you upgrade to C-IQ, there is no mechanism to “downgrade” back to B-IQ.

I hope that approval in the Netherlands happens soon, but, as has been pointed out more and more countries are getting C-IQ approval.

Stay safe!

John

1 Like

Ah very good to know.
I had no clue it would work like that.

I know you’re clearly saying ‘different’, but would you say one is working better than the other for you ? (I understand this is a highly subjective question)

1 Like

The folks at Diabeter are usually quite on top of these developments, right?
The t:slim X2 was indeed released two years ago, but not in the Netherlands. At the beginning of this year UMCG was the first hospital in the Benelux to test the t:slim X2, with Basal-IQ I guess.

1 Like

@Bzerk:

Yes, it is a personal choice. However, for me, the fact that C-IQ can “throttle back” basal rather than simply turning it on and off for periods makes it easier to achieve a soft landing. Of course, if you have a lot of IOB, no amount of slowing or stopping basal can help prevent a low.

Then, if you get a rebound after stopping the low, C-IQ can then increase basal levels … and ultimately add a bolus, too … to battle a high.

I am not a model diabetic by any means. For me, I struggled to get above 60% TIR without either B-IQ or C-IQ. With B-IQ I probably hit 65% … but with a lot fewer lows. With C-IQ, I’m now at about 80-85% TIR.

Of course, there are folks that achieve numbers MUCH better than that without a pump at all. So, as with everything with this disease, your diabetes may and probably will be different …

Stay safe!

John

3 Likes

She will get Basil IQ then when Control IQ is approved, she can download the update to her pump. In the states there was no charge for the Control iq upgrade. I would assume that is the case internationally, but don’t know.

2 Likes