Today’s run went really well, probably due to the beautiful, light snow fall coming down Not too hot, and soft ground
I met my ultra runner friend and per her Garmin, we ran 10.33 miles for 2 hours exactly but we stopped along the way for the bathroom and a few other places, maybe for a total of 10 minutes. I wore my trusty Sony Smartwatch which acts as the xDrip+ Dexcom transmitter collector and has a step counter. I also started the Fit app on my watch. It had quite a different result from the Garmin, with an estimate of 11.84 miles, probably not accurate!
Shows lows during the run as low as 49, but I never felt those lows so I’m thinking Dex was just off. I did a finger stick at the end of the run, and BG was 90, whereas Dex showed 65.
And the numbers…
- 1/2 HR pre run-start: BG 83 (Dex), Temp Basal reduced by 80% for 2 HRs: 0.5U/hr down to 0.1U/hr
- 1/2 HR pre run- end : Resume normal Basal (0.5U/hr)
- Run-start: 11:30 AM, BG 84 (Dex), IOB 0U
- Run-end: 1:30 PM (with a couple of stops, so @1 hr 50 mins run), BG 65 (Dex), 90 (finger), Bolus 1.3U immediately upon end
- Post-run: 2.15 PM drink 1 Glucerna Chocolate Shake 16g carb), chunk of parmigiano cheese
- Post Run: 3:29 PM BG 74 (Dex) … still going up slightly.
So, immediately bolusing post-run does indeed seem to consistently prevent a post-run spike (thanks @daisymae and @Eric!) . No spike at all. 2.5 hours post-run and I’m going up a bit, BG 85 but it’s probably from the extra cheese that I ate
This is my first try at refueling properly. I tested the nutritional shake just to be sure my stomach could tolerate it. And it did! Very chocolatey! Thank you, @daisymae, for the recommendation!! I think 16g carb is probably too little but I can’t really tell what optimal refueling is, not physically, at least not yet! But just by reading @Eric’s FUD sports wikis, it seems like I may need to increase the amount. I’ll see how tonight goes!