Trial: first human implants of stem-cell-issued beta cells

This European trial uses ViaCyte’s stem cell line product PEC Direct, and has started implanting them in human subjects:

dLife.com: First Human Trial of Stem Cell-derived Implants Underway in Type 1 Diabetes in Europe.
https://dlife.com/first-human-trial-of-stem-cell-derived-implants-underway-in-type-1-diabetes-in-europe/

My notes:

• This is a generic stem cell line, so it needs to use immuno-suppressants

• The implantations are in “subtherapeutic doses” so they are not expect to suppress use for insulin, only reduce it.

• Still, great interest if this was made available at reasonable cost, since the cadaver-based “City of Hope” transplants are the only known “cure” I am aware of.

PEC Direct:

I did find a press release from Viacyte dated mid 2017 saying they had started a US implant trial:

To me, the most significant change in this direction will be when it is possible to grow replacement beta cells from the patient herself. The auto-immune issue remains.

4 Likes

Saw this today: Under-the-skin implant could treat Type I diabetes | Cornell Chronicle

Seems similar to Vertex work, but with a different method of application. Here’s hoping some of us get to help with their work or the results of it!

5 Likes

I saw your post and something made me laugh.

You are perhaps familiar with the cure being “only 5 years away”. I first heard that 50 years ago!

So just seeing this today made me chuckle…

8 Likes

I’ve come to feel the same way in the couple of years I’ve been T1! I’m just optimistic enough to still hold out hope someone reading these posts (admittedly a young person, if not a child) will benefit from studies like this! “Progress” is fits and starts, mostly incremental change, but with moments of shear terror and marvelous successes!

4 Likes