Tresiba

Help needed with tresiba as having nightmare highs!! Think I might go back to levemir, how would I do that ?as Tresiba last so long?

3 Likes

How long have you been on tresiba? It can take a while to get it dialed in

If I was going to switch back I’d probably just take the first dose of levemir 36 hours the last dose of Tresiba and not overcomplicate it

While it lasts a lot longer it should be insignificant at that point

3 Likes

Welcome @Net to FUD! Happy to have you posting and helping out the community. Sorry you are having issues with Tresiba.

2 Likes

Hi I’m sticking with it for now but the highs are tiring, will try and make it work as heard many good about tresiba, thanks for replying.

1 Like

I tried tresiba for a little bit and after a couple days felt as though the amounts were dialed in and the BGs flat. I dosed it every 24 hours. However, I ended up feeling a little different overall so went back to levemir and shifted it later that way the peak would line up better with morning blood sugar rises.

4 Likes

Hi I’m now back on Levemir, I take smaller dose at night 6 units, and 10 units on getting up, I sometimes have hypos in early hours, thats why I’m on smaller dose at night but I get dreaded dawn phenomenon or foot to floor rise as I get up, wish I could increase night dose tomaybe stop this but cant due to early morning hypos. Interesting what you said about tresiba I did not feel right at all while on it. Was hoping it would be great insulin due to flat profile

2 Likes

When does your BG rise? Right when you wake up?

Unless you are on a pump, most likely the easiest way to deal with this would be taking some rapid insulin as soon as you wake up.

(Do you use any insulin besides Levemir?)

This can be pretty simple. If you use a pen, just keep it on the nightstand and take the rapid insulin as soon as you wake up. If you use syringes, you can have one pre-loaded and sitting on the nightstand, so that would also be very easy to do.

Depending on your diet, another thing that can help reduce it somewhat would be to shift your food consumption a little bit. Prioritize carbs more for breakfast and less for dinner. The less glycogen that is stored in your liver when you wake up, the less it will release.

But that will likely only make a small difference. Taking the insulin right when you wake up would be the easiest thing, I think.

2 Likes

(In case others haven’t said it…) For a few weeks I tried 2 doses of Levemir spaced 12 hours apart thinking that I would get better basal coverage over the day. However, this didn’t work because the smaller doses of Levemir caused it to not last as long. The solution was to dose it once around 8:30 pm and if I woke up early in the morning to take a small dose if it was around 2:30 AM and to increase the dosage amount as the wake up time got later. I think that getting to bed early made this process easier in that I could wake up early and take care of any morning blood sugar rises. I’d also take a bolus around 4:30 pm so that there would be good coverage while the previous night’s basal wore off with smaller tapering doses at 5:30 pm and 6:30 pm (i.e. 3,2,1) so that the humalog would be just about gone while the new Levemir kicked in. It took some time to get the numbers dialed in but eventually it created a fairly repeatable process.

1 Like

Hi thanks for reply, I’m also on Novorapid at meals, as I said I get high sugars as I get up but don’t know if its my Levemir running out, as I take smaller dose at night, my sugars then stay high until around lunch time even with corrections, then I go low, due to morning dose of Levemir kicking in , its a night mare, so tonight I took 7 units of levemir at 9.00pm instead of 11pm, and will take 11 units at 7 00am instead of 9 00am, and see if that works differently, as I was taking 2 units of Novorapid to 10 carbs in morning for breakfast, and still sometimes rising to 20 even with corrections, so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hi thanks for reply, thats the problem Levemir doesn’t last even 12 hrs with smaller doses, I have altered times and slightly increased doses from tonight, if that doesn’t work I will take 3 times aday, as that seems a good plan, as you said a small extra dose in-between, I have heard a few people do that, the joys of diabetes! :thinking:

1 Like

My original attempt was 10/10 spaced 12 hours apart and that ended up being less coverage than 19 once per day. The main thing I had to be mindful of was not dropping between 10 pm and 1 am. Do you have a CGM and can see what the numbers look like during the night?

Depending on when I wake up, the morning bolus doses will vary a bit too. If I wake up early and rested it seems like 4-5 units does the trick whereas later and/or unrested can go up to 10-12. It also seems as though getting hydrated helps.

Sorry if there’s too much input, but hopefully sharing some experience can help.

2 Likes

Hi I am now going to try splitdoses x 3 as I took my morning dose earlier today it stopped the am rise, but ran out late afternoon, so no way does my Levemir last 12 hrs on each splt, so have now taken small dose 4pm, and will take night dose midnight, and normal morning dose 8am,don’t know if this will work, but have to try something, its sending me crazy, I have a Libre 2, which is good for seeing whats happening, but I don’t think there 100 % accurate, as always different from finger sticks, as there’s a time lag with them, so here i go again!

1 Like

Hi @Net
There are a few reference posts on FUD, but the duration of Levemir is based on how much you are taking.

I will just quote myself from a different post about this same thing, but if you calculate your units per kilogram (don’t forget to convert your weight to kilograms), this gives you an idea of the approximate duration.

4 Likes

Im approx 62 kgs how do I work this out? So what does this mean, I’ve never been told about this , how do I work out how long it last, please advise :pray:

2 Likes

What are your dosage amounts?

2 Likes

I take 10 units in morning and 6 or 7 at night

1 Like

So your morning dose is probably lasting around 9 hours and your evening dose is probably lasting around 6 hours.

Those are approximate durations, not exact.

3 Likes

Hi Eric thanks so much will have to do 3 doses maybe :pray:

1 Like

That is really really frustrating to me. I mean, they take the time to prescribe the medication they could at least educate you on how it works.

4 Likes

Sums up the American health care system