Traveling: Don’t forget extra meter batteries!

I’ve been on a few trips to Europe in the last few years. I’ve been careful to pack all the supplies I thought I’d need, but I also felt secure in the knowledge that there were decent health care systems in these countries if something were to go drastically wrong.

I’m currently in Italy, and it’s absolutely wonderful and dreamy! :smile:

However, my meter battery inconveniently died about halfway into the trip. It was especially inconvenient because I accidentally ripped out my tried and tested sensor a couple hours later… Then, of course, the new sensor was a bleeder so I had to replace that one too!!!

It all turned out totally fine because we could get a battery at the supermarket down the street (surprising!!!).

I’ve never had a battery die like that before. All my past meters have given me many, many annoying warnings before the battery gives out.

We decided to travel light this trip, and I only packed one meter. Now I know better!! Next trip I’ll have a spare meter and battery. :slightly_smiling_face: Honestly, I didn’t even consider packing a spare! I packed triple of everything else. Ha!

Anyway, just thought I’d share in case this helps anyone else in their international adventures! There are many places I’d like to travel some day, and I’m my hoping travels to countries with developed health care systems will help prepare me to visit any other countries :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Glad it all worked out! Having supply issues while travelling is never fun. I had one trip where I got delayed almost 24 hours, CGM sensor was giving mostly ???s, I’d run out of test strips, the airport pharmacy was closed (and I couldn’t leave due to waiting for flights), and I was out of food and couldn’t find anything that I could eat in the airport.

Never making those mistakes again.

As for meters, I use the Contour Next One, and I keep two extra little cell batteries and an extra Fastclix lancet drum in the same little mesh pocket where I put used strips. Hopefully a little exposure to blood won’t interfere with the batteries working. :slight_smile: My meter’s been giving me low battery warnings since before the holidays and is still working (and, weirdly, sometimes the low battery symbol even disappears). So I’ll be curious how long it goes before I need to replace the batteries.

3 Likes

I used to carry extra meter batteries in my case with supplies, but those are obsolete since I started using the Contour Next Link.

2 Likes

I hope not! Stars were not aligned in your favor that day. I’m sorry that sucked!!!

We had a day at home where none of the meters worked recently (literally four with no batteries working and/or general malfunction). So I’m excited about batteries now. EH generally had a meter battery in his kit like @Jen does. But sometimes that failed to get replaced.

@Katers87 I hope your trip in Italy is amazing! Glad the grocery had some for you! If you’re in Rome, have some artichokes now - they should be good!

2 Likes

@Katers87, you lucky thing! What a beautiful time of year to be there. I’ll second, third and fourth the recommendation on artichokes – preferably deep-fried alla giudia, with a glass of crisp, cold Est! Est!! Est!!! if you’re in Rome, or a frizzante bianco elsewhere. And puntarelle salad with anchovy dressing. And blood oranges and lemons just up from Sicily. OMG, my day is ruined …

5 Likes

I love Italy! I know pizza is hard on T1s but you have to have the delicious pizza there!!!

Great reminder on batteries. Batteries for the pump, too. Omnipod batteries run out quickly so I always care spares.

4 Likes

:rofl:

This is the second time this week food in Italy has come up. And other parts of the world. I just dream of eating. Sorry to have made your stomach growl @Beacher!

2 Likes

Thanks guys! We actually had some in the Jewish ghetto a couple days before I posted this. We had both the Roman and Roman-Jewish style artichokes. Both were delicious and interesting! Totally new experiences :slight_smile: I wish I could have sent them to you over the internet @Beacher.

4 Likes

For a moment I was confused to see a picture of food in a thread about meter batteries :grin:

2 Likes

These little cell batteries are super expensive in retail—althouth of course you hardly ever need them :slight_smile: You can get them on Amazon, made by Panasonic or another Japanese manufacturer (best), for about $4 for 20, but, in Europe, they often cost $4 to $8 a pop :frowning:

They are so small it is easy to carry them around. We have a few CR2016 and CR2032s with us in case we need a meter battery change (of course your meter model requires a specific type, probably one of these two).

2 Likes

Mmmm … Looks almost as good as mine :smile:

3 Likes

@Beacher, these look incredible!!! Recipe?

What about the second plate behind the artichokes?

2 Likes

It’s the standard Roman recipe, which doesn’t (and shouldn’t) vary much. Marcella Hazan’s is classic except I was taught to put the oil in first, then the chokes (Italians will argue for hours about such fine points), then add white wine (never water!) to come partway up the sides. I also like to reduce the liquid a little before pouring it over the artichokes, though Romans would probably be aghast. If you’re lucky enough to have access to the milder nepitella, use that, otherwise equal parts garden mint (not spearmint) and parsley or oregano. Best served within an hour.

What’s behind is just a sammich. You don’t need a recipe for a sammich.

3 Likes

Really?!? Didn’t you notice I was involved? Of course the thread is off track. :rofl:

And yes @Beacher those also look great!!! I’m amazed you made them! I’m going to try it if I manage to have artichokes and free time. And I’m glad @Katers87 had some! My dreams of food in Rome must’ve been fulfilled.

1 Like