Today was, what I thought was our 504 meeting - General feeling afterward

Today we met with the Assistant Principal, the District Nurse, the School Nurse, and Liam’s teacher. I thought this was our 504 where we discuss our accommodations, but come to find out this was really just a meet-and-greet and get a general sense for how Liam’s D-Management goes at home and discussed many things that are actually in our accommodations list, without actually looking at our list (I guess they’re just common things for schools that manage 504’s regularly.)

Anyway, so I must say, for us at least…I feel AMAZING after speaking with our school reps that Liam is going to have a really fantastic time and will be managed properly by the school nurse and staff who are tasked to look after him during the day.

Their plan is to “evaluate him” over the next couple week themselves, then, based on that evaluation PLUS our accommodations list, we’ll have a “formal 504” where we discuss his specific needs. They indicated they’ve found this works best because what works at home doesn’t always convey well to school (which we definitely already know - we plan on being a lot more more conservative during the school day with insulin than we would be at home where my eyes and hands are always mere seconds from Liam.)

Three days ago, we met with the School Nurse and spent 2 hours with her before this meeting today. She was very ready for this responsibility and even joked that “I won’t be bored this year” - speaking about the new technology which will make her think, unlike all the other routine things that she no longer has to even give a second thought about anymore. We showed her his system, went over the Nurses Instructions with her, let her do some hands on, and she felt really good about it. I set up Nightscout on her Office laptop with alarms enabled and she REALLY LOVED THIS. She said the fact that the alarms will sound while she may be on another tab or away from the PC is going to be great for her.

They indicated that…which surprised me…they do NOT want to interfere with our amazing A1C if at all possible and that they would prefer to try, like we have, to figure out how to keep that A1C as low as possilbe. This made me feel really great because him “riding high” all day was a big concern. They understand the hard work that it takes to get an a1c of 6.1 and they were fully onboard with continuing with that tight management as much as possible.

Besides that, we just went over things such as pre-PE, what the teacher should watch and listen for, how / when to call the Nurse, etc.,

I will be going to school at lunch time on Monday to shadow the Nurse (per her request - which she offered to me to make me feel better with my 1st day jitters.) She seems very competent and capable, but being able to be there at lunch on day 1 just to show her how I do it I think will give her some practical experience.

All in all, my jitters are mostly gone and I just look forward to Liam having a fun and productive school year like all the other non-D kids. He’s very excited about it and we’ll begin our next chapter’s journey this coming Monday.

I am very happy that the school is fully supportive of the Omniloop system and seems very interested in making the transition as smooth as possible for everyone concerned.

11 Likes

We had a similar experience with our school being overly supportive and helpful. I am so glad that your local situation is a good one. We have been in our local community enough to realize that your experience and ours isn’t universal. Very happy for you and Liam!

2 Likes

Same.

Until the one time a substitute nurse was on site. Reasonably we should have expected that as an eventual reality but we somehow did not. I am sure the substitute nurse was really great at lots of things. Diabetes treatment was obviously not one of her strengths.

4 Likes

Just a comment on how much has changed!!!

During my entire schooling, through college, I did single AM lente injection. Nothing extra at school, no bg testing, no pump or cgm. No glucose tabs, I never went low!!!

But one day, I think 7 or 8th grade, I missed my morning injection. Around noon, was feeling horrible, went to school nurse. Told her I forgot my morning injection. She was shocked, I wasn’t on their list of diabetics. Called my mom who came to give me my lente. Only happened once!!

Even went through college, then traveled in Europe 6 weeks, all on single injection lente. Still in awe of how much has changed. (And that I survived).

Great to hear Liam is off to a great start!

6 Likes

Congrats on having a great nurse. That sounds really awesome!

Would you be willing to share what your Loop targets and Dex ranges are going to be at school versus home? Like how much of a difference you are making for home and school?

That might be a useful thing for parents to look at and consider for their own child.

I am more conservative with it when I am away from home too. I don’t think that changes when you are an adult.

Something nice about having your own fridge, knowing what is in there, and knowing you can easily access it, makes home much easier than away. Even if it is something simple like going to a friend’s house or a relative’s house for a few hours.

I don’t think that ever changes, no matter how old you get. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Same ranges. 100-100 is our Target BG for loop. When I say being more conservative I mean things like his bolus I:c ratio during school. We’ll be increasing this by 2 from what it is currently. Also, the snack amounts of another example. We use anywhere from 1 to 5 carbs to treat lows but we can watch him more carefully at home and give more carbs if it wasn’t enough. At school is going to be 10 and 15 carbs (10 for anything over 60, 15 for anything under 50.)

Things like that.

1 Like

I was thinking exactly the same! My grade school didn’t even have a nurse, and my high school had to phone out for a nurse if one was ever needed. My mother met with my fifth-grade teacher for a few minutes when I went back after being diagnosed, and when I started high school my dad sent a note to the office, and that was the extent of parent-teacher interaction (about diabetes anyway). Of course we didn’t have pumps and Dexcoms and Share and blood meters, I certainly didn’t test my urine at school, and I didn’t exactly follow any kind of diet – my god, the carb-loaded lunches I had in high school with only Lente in the morning! No wonder I always fell asleep in math class afterwards – so there wasn’t anything for the teachers or staff to know except, if I was pale and could hardly speak, to run to the staff room for a can of Coke.

Good on Liam for getting the best care possible in a much more complicated D world.

2 Likes