Tips and Tricks needed for the OmniPod

I receive empty boxes with pre-paid postage together with pod deliveries. I collect my used pods and mail them back to the supplier for recycling. Is this only a thing where I live, or do you have something similar in other countries?

2 Likes

The pod recycling program was discontined in the US unfortunately. I was very disappointed.

3 Likes

Insulet in Canada still has an optional recycling program. We can return 50 used pods at a time in a prepaid FedEx package. I don’t know why the US dropped its program.

Where I live each pod case’s moulded plastic and paper backing is recyclable, and the needle goes to the pharmacy with the rest of my sharps, which leaves only the syringe’s plastic barrel as garbage.

4 Likes

Maybe part of the reason they don’t recycle them in the U.S. is because everyone is so over-the-top on medical waste.

Like have you ever returned a failed Dexcom transmitter? They send you 2 or 3 boxes and bags to put it in, and it says something like hazardous medical waste or bio-hazard on the outside of the bags.

I am talking about the transmitter! It’s basically just a battery. It doesn’t have any needles on it, there is no reason it needs to be triple-bagged and treated as a bio-hazard. But they get crazy about stuff like that in the U.S…

I assume recycling medical waste would have the same problem in the U.S. Here you’d end up being required to put it into so many specially marked plastic bags, it would defeat the purpose of recycling. “We made a bunch of new plastic products so that you could recycle that plastic product…”

5 Likes

Good point! I returned a faulty Libre sensor once, and it had to be double-bagged before going into the padded envelope. Both bags had huge Biohazard warnings on them. The Pods, on the other hand, just go in a single unmarked plastic bag inside a cardboard box.

2 Likes

Ditto ! I do the same with the timing of putting on new pods (& CGM too) And same as you mentioned, if one of them malfunctions, I try to put the next one on in the evening so I’m back on ‘schedule.’

2 Likes

Now that you both mentioned this, and I have thought about this and wondered for several days :joy: I hadn’t ever heard that novolog was better than humalog in a pump so now I am very curious! I think I have just always been told that they’re the “same” & so hadn’t really thought much about it. Sorry if this is in another post - I looked and didn’t see it but may have missed it!

2 Likes

I have some links to research articles about Novo vs. Huma. I can post them. Just gotta remember to do it. :grinning:

2 Likes

Cool -Thanks! And/or I can and maybe should look it up so you don’t need to remember :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got some very good references. I’ll post them when I’m at my computer.

2 Likes

I prefer the Omnipod because of being in and out of the water. No Tubes is the game changer for me.
I Loop with Android APS so no PDM. When Horizon comes out I may switch but I am pretty happy with with an Orangelink and my phone. 72 hours is when it will start beeping at you but you can extend 8 hours easily. I try to change midday so it doesn’t wake me up.

5 Likes