The WORST news in a while

“if it’s bad, I don’t wanna be good.”

1 Like

If coffee is your major vice, you doing great! As always, life has to be worth living. I wish that I only had one vice.

2 Likes

I have hypertension and I drink about half a cup of coffee in the morning, just to help wake myself up. Sometimes I have a decaf coffee later in the day. I’ve never tested to see whether it has an effect on my blood pressure.

2 Likes

FYI - I used to sell to cardiologists, the coffee isn’t just bad if it raises your blood pressure, it also has other negative effects on your renin-angiotensin II system, which is generally the cause of your high blood pressure. With that said, your 1/2 cup probably isn’t going to kill you.

2 Likes

I traded in a 12-pack per day Mt.Dew habit for 1-pot per day of Coffee.

I figure everything is relative.

4 Likes

Holy hell, 12 Mountain Dew’s in a day, you must have been just about preserved, as well as having a subtle yellow glow.

3 Likes

@Chris
I am actually really happy I kicked that habit. In retrospect it was horrible.

4 Likes

@Thomas, you remind me of my older boy’s highschool: in the highly monitored dances, they only had sodas and sweets available to buy. So these idiot boys would have Mountain Dew drinking competitions where the winner would drink a dozen in an hour. I am still surprised there never was an accident.

I learned about it a year after he had graduated…

2 Likes

In a much larger support group I asked if coffee raised blood sugar. I was surprised to see that almost 25% of those responding said there was increased BG after drinking coffee. Some said they had to bolus for coffee. Others had to stop coffee because there was a big increase in BG after drinking coffee. The test should involve drinking coffee when no other carbs were eaten, and there should be no active insulin, exercise, etc that could influence the outcome. When I do that, I get a moderate rise in my BG.

4 Likes

I find that any stimulant can raise my blood sugar, especially if I take it in a dose I’m not habituated to. Makes sense, since stimulants cause release of cortisol, which causes the liver to dump glucose—it would work well for a non-diabetic, since if your system is getting revved up, presumably it needs energy to deal with whatever is causing that. The effect, like liver effects more broadly, seems somewhat reduced for me since I’ve been taking metformin. I used to have to treat (unsweetened, black) coffee like carbs though.

2 Likes

That reminds me of a milk-drinking contest I participated in while in high school. While pretty stupid in itself, for someone with a mild lactose intolerance it is a VERY bad idea. It did not end well later in the day…

2 Likes

@kenrick
That sounds like the very definition of a self-correcting problem.

:smiling_imp:

3 Likes