The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Diabetes Edition

Wow, really? What kind of a building needs to secure a bathroom door (or other rooms) from exiting? That sounds like a serious fire hazard, and I would have guessed it violated any building code. (Locked outside your office in the lobby I can understand, no fire hazard there, assuming you can exit the building without a fob).

1 Like

There are several security features that seem counter-productive in the building, for sure. Some of them are from the original building designā€¦some of them are from upper management decision-making at a later date. But it is amazing how badly things go (somewhat frequently) when they malfunction.

And our building guy tends to forget to notify people when the elevator is out of serviceā€¦so thereā€™s that. Thatā€™s how my coworker got stuck in the elevator between floorsā€¦because no one told her it was malfunctioning! She was stuck in the elevator far enough between floors that our buildingā€™s elevator door tool thing wasnā€™t long enough to manually open the doors. The building guy had to search other unoccupied buildings in our office park for a different manual elevator door tool thingā€¦and we were lucky he was even there that day and happened to have the old keys to those buildings that we donā€™t own!

1 Like

A faulty elevator is OK, as long as it is being fixed and as long as any required safety equipment (like an alarm or intercom) is working. If not, that would be a building code violation. I hope your building has been inspected by fire inspectors? Iā€™m pretty sure all business elevators need periodic inspection too.

Regardless a bathroom that locks you in and wonā€™t let you out without an electronic key is surely a building code violation. Building codes vary by state, but if there are actual building code violations, then your company is putting its employees and themselves at serious risk for fines, injuries, lawsuits, ā€¦ You might want to raise it with your building guy to make sure they are on top of it.

(Sorry for the distraction - my dad is an architect who has various phobias so Iā€™m used to him looking very critically at fire exits and the like any time he enters a new building).

6 Likes

Ok first whatā€™s a fob? You know, I try to have my phone and glucose tabs at all times. I did not always do this but have learned tha hard way. That being said, of course I slip up. Mostly not having a sugar source. Canā€™t imagine being stuck in a ladies room for a weekend. Would not fare well. But mostly I donā€™t worry so much.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a keyless door swipey thingy. I hold it up to the door sensor and the door unlocks.

1 Like

Ohh :open_mouth: thank you. Of course. A key fob duh

2 Likes

Eric
love the idea! I thought insulin could only last 30 days once opened?

I would seriously buy a couple of those from you if you made them for me!

:grinning:

2 Likes