Some days

Some days I wonder how I literally survived without an insulin pump and a CGM. When I was diagnosed in the mid-1990s, the doctor gave me a syringe and showed me how to inject saline into an organge.

“Okay, well just do that except stick it INTO YOUR OWN BODY and check your blood sugar a lot. Not too much or you die. See ya!”

That’s how I remember it, but I’m sure they were much more helpful and caring because I’m still alive today.

Today I caught myself being upset that the computer on my wrist can’t read my blood sugar every five minutes unless the computer in my pocket is within range. I HAVE A FRICKIN’ COMPUTER ON MY WRIST. AND ONE IN MY POCKET. Oh yeah, SOMEONE FIGURED OUT HOW TO PUT INSULIN IN A BOTTLE. And I can afford it. Many many people in the world today cannot.

Every day above ground is a good day.

15 Likes

Love the perspective @ned, there are many days when it the irritations get to you, but it is awesome that you are here to be able to wine (yes I misspelled it on purpose) about your mini-computers. I love it.

how did you know? :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the perspective adjustment! The humor caught me off guard. :smile:

I’m thankful for modern technology and medicine too. The computer in your pocket is pretty amazing - especially since it does way more than math and doesn’t take an entire room to do it in!

@ned I love your perspective! Having had T1D since 1973 I marvel every day at the technology available to me today (even when it is frustrating :roll_eyes:).

1 Like

This is what makes me feel good about Liam’s health as he gets older. I was SO concerned about his BG’s 24/7 and thinking every high or low was going to somehow screw him over when he grows up or cause him some undue pain that’s irreparable and lasting, but then I read wonderful stories of all the old-timers who are fine today and they lived in the urine testing days long before any of the advanced technology that we use today, and it makes me breathe somewhat easy. I mean, they could be healthy today after 40+ years of living with Diabetes because of their own genetics, but it helps me to believe that “diabetes just isn’t that big of a deal.” There are only two main things required to live healthily, and just move on when you have a bad day.

1. Bolus when you’re high or going high.
  2. Eat when you’re low or going low.

It really is that simple. I understand that many people do have additional medical complications that make things more difficult, but in general, those who are otherwise healthy and only have diabetes…it’s so much less stress to do the best we can do, track as well as we can track, eat when we’re low or going low and bolus when high or going high, and LIVE. If we spend every minute focusing on “diabetes”, life will pass us by. I want Liam to treat his diabetes because he has too to live and stay healthy, but I don’t want him obsessing over it. In order for HIM not to obsess over it, it’s important for his mother and I to not obsess over it. Although it’s still difficult, I’m getting better at it every day.

6 Likes

This is a great attitude, and one I really need a reminder on sometimes. Whenever I wallow in self-pity, I remember how hard folks had it 10,20 or 30 years ago when they were diagnosed.

I remember going on a teen trip to Israel in high school and one of the girls had Type 1; thinking about what she had to deal with while in a foreign country, I realize ho much things are improved. And things are only getting better, thanks to the work of many, many dedicated people around the world.

2 Likes

Great attitude!! Having been diagnosed in the early '70s, with the emergency doc giving me a vial of regular and one of Lente with a handful of syringes, patting me on the back, telling me to buy some pee sticks and “I’ll figure it out just fine”, your introduction rings true. A lot of paper wasted drawing graphs of insulin action later, I did just fine. Computers, among other things made it a lot easier.

And being above ground is proof.

1 Like

Ha. When I was diagnosed in 1991 at age nine, I don’t even remember receiving diabetes education. My parents went to all the classes while I lay around in the hospital bed. I’m sure that’s changed today!

And I also sometimes wonder how I functioned with testing three or four times a day and two shots a day. My blood sugar was all over the place with a few severe lows thrown in every year or so (we aimed for tight control from the start, even though the DCCT wasn’t out yet). I literally wonder how I functioned day to day. These days I feel horrible if I’m high or low.

When I have a really bad diabetes day and am frustrated about my blood sugar not cooperating, I read an account of Type 1 before the discovery of isnulin. It quickly puts things into prespective and changes my frustration to gratitude.

4 Likes

i was so happy to read your post. yes, you do put things into a healthy perspective. we do the very best we can and let the rest go. its just one day at a time…even if it sometimes is one minute at a time.

one of the things that eric has taught me is that (exactly what you stated) its one of three things

1. take insulin, 2) eat carbs, and 3) do nothing and be thrilled. no biggy. just cool beans :sunny:
3 Likes

Wineapple alert ( I’m in the emotional thread for a reason.) I am really really really really missing having a working CGM in this moment. My Dexcom g4 died a few days ago. It was out of warranty and I’m getting a g5 sent to me, but that needed MD notes and whatnot. Which have been sent, but when I checked yesterday the supplier hadn’t gotten the paperwork yet. Now the Memorial Day weekend. So I was lying on the couch reading a novel and I finished it and I thought, I forgot to increase my temp basal after breakfast (because I’m taking prednisone and it makes bg go up) and I think I’m probably high, also because I was going to go to the pool, but they had a problem with their boiler- no hot water, so I skipped that. Better do a finger stick, I tell myself and yikes it’s 40. Waaaaaa.

2 Likes

I have a g5 receiver you can borrow, will it work? I can’t keep it all strait what’s compatible with what… I think you’d have to have G5 transmitters? I’ve got one of those too, probably almost dead though

2 Likes

Sam wow!!! That would be wonderful!!!’ I’d try it in a heartbeat. Is the transmitter within 3months from when you started it?

1 Like

Looks like I started it 4/19 so it should have plenty of life left

All you need is transmitter and receiver? Text me I’ll bring it by or we’ll figure out what makes sense

3 Likes

Amen to that.

Here’s diabetes reality…

And I’m still above ground!
I say F U D !
Yay!

6 Likes

@ardipa Your meme struck me funny, what went through my head was this…'cuz some days his sarcastic voice crosses my interior monologue…‘oh, joy, another bad site… NO BIIIIIG DEAL’ lol…download%20(1)

3 Likes

Which site?
infusion_site_roation

3 Likes

All of them?

1 Like

Time for Afrezza?

1 Like

Afrezza! Why inject if you can inhale insulin?