The view on another planet

You can buy both the Blucon and the Miaomiao online!
https://www.ambrosiasys.com/

You have to use 3rd party apps such as xDrip+ or Spike when using these transmitters, but they both provide alarms from Libre readings

1 Like

Thanks, @bkh and @glitzabetes! I just did a little reading, and outside of sounding like a complete headache trying to get organized (for meā€”Iā€™m sure itā€™s easy for others), that sounds awesome (for meā€”my familyā€™s going to put me outside).

Glitzabetes, do you use any of this??

Because everyone knowsā€¦ this is all very humblingā€¦ trying to keep up with you guys.

You guys are going to make me WISH for color-changing tubesā€¦

Not yet, but I am anxiously waiting for my Miaomiao to arrive so I can set it up :grin:
I use the Dexcom G5 right now but will be switching over to the Libre/Miaomiao soon because itā€™s so much cheaper

1 Like

Are you talking about pee tests? You can still get them.

I canā€™t find the colors of the one I used to use (just looked on Google), but I remember it vividly. Blue was nothing - ā€œNegativeā€. Green was a very small amount of sugar in your urine, it was called ā€œTraceā€. Then it went up in various degrees of brown (1+, 2+, 3+), up to bright orange which was called ā€œ4 Plusā€.

Funny, I canā€™t remember what I had for dinner a week ago, but I remember those tests all so clearly.

5 drops of urine, 10 drops of water (they had an eye-dropper thing in the kit), and 1 pill, all would go in the test-tube. It would bubble up and a few seconds later you would see the color.

We used to have the color chart taped on the bathroom mirror, but I memorized the colors and I took the chart down because guests always asked what it was, and I didnā€™t want to have to tell them I tested my pee.

3 Likes

So then youā€™re going to be my go to on thisā€¦ Iā€™d definitely like to hear something overnight as I seem to be missing EVERYTHING, but as cool as this sounds, it sounds about as easy as building a quick time machine for effortless teleportationā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve mostly learned about it from Nerdabetic on Youtube!

I think most of the setup depends on what app you are using, which depends on whether youā€™re an iPhone or Android user. I think xDrip+ is Android only and Spike is iPhone only. Iā€™ll be using Spike, so thatā€™s the only app Iā€™ve done research on really :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hi NIcky if you go to my website and read the artcicle ā€œAll about CGMā€ it gives you a review of all the sensors (5) and all the CGMs currently available. Personally I love my MiaoMiao but it comes from China so the President may have slapped more customs duty on it. The Blucon comes from San Francisco but many people find it has problems and the app is oftern criticised. If you go down this route then you are generally reckoned to be better of with the xdrip+ app for Android or the Spike app for IOS and you have to use them if you order the MM. These are not available on Play but the links are on the website - bgonmywatch.com (if I did not mention it before)!!

1 Like

I have watched some of his videos. They are great. He really does a super job explaining things and makes really nice videos. I was surprisingly impressed.

2 Likes

Took the words right out of my mouth.

1 Like

This is what Iā€™m seriously leaning towards, only because my insurance covers the Libre but not the Dexcom, and even though I can get roughly a month out of each sensor, itā€™s still a significant out-of-pocket expense.

The only thing holding me back, really, is the intimidation factor. I donā€™t even have a phone yet (and Iā€™m perfectly happy that way).

However, this description on their website sends up a red flag:

MiaoMiao libre transmitter will trigger an alarm at the slightest sign of glucose irregularity caught by your libre. Any concern tracked by your libre will send an alarm directly to your mobile device alarming you of any dangerous changes.

Who defines ā€œglucose irregularityā€ or ā€œconcernā€ or ā€œdangerous changesā€? The user or MiaoMiao? I donā€™t see anywhere in their description that the user can set their own low/high limits like on the Dexcom.

Iā€™m fairly sure in xDrip+/Spike you can just set low and high limits for alerts just like Dexcom. The transmitter itself only sends the data to these apps, it doesnā€™t have any pre-determined alerts (to my knowledge, I could be wrong)

I was. Yes, technology is overwhelming for me. I love using it when itā€™s handed to me already up and running, but thatā€™s not whatā€™s going on around here. This is MacGyver-land.

This is more on par with dying Easter eggs. I can nail some Easter egg dye. And I know my colors really well.

Iā€™m still waiting on my coffee though. Sometimes I get braver and more adventurous with each cup.

1 Like

I actually have, but it looks like a trip back wouldnā€™t hurt. :grin:

I finally found a good google image of the tests I used to use. It cracks me up, I remembered the ā€œrecipeā€.

This is it.

3 Likes

I had to put my mom on itā€¦ sheā€™s checking out your site, @anthonywarren and is watching nerdabetic to see how to make it happen, @glitzabetes, so thank you both. I slept through everything again last night. With pump clipped next to my ear.

My momā€™s our resident tech expert (sheā€™s 74)ā€¦ that should give you an idea our technical abilities around here.

Me too, 5 drops urine, then 10 water, add tablet. And the mixture would bubble and get HOT.

1 Like

What is this ā€œfactorā€ you speak of??? Iā€™ve never heard of it.

1 Like

This is something specific to medtronic pump and sensor.

1 Like

This would be easy to setup. It is a device that turns on an electrical socket whenever an alarm sound triggers it (kind of like the ā€œClapperā€ thing they used to advertise on TV).

https://www.harriscomm.com/sonic-alert-traditional-system-uss-360-universal-sound-transmitter.html

So your CGM alarm would trigger the device to turn on the electrical socket. And you have something plugged into the socket, like either a light, or a vacuum cleaner, or a blender filled with marbles.

So ultimately your CGM alarm is turning on the blender filled with marbles.

Referenced in a couple places on FUD, but never had a thread specifically to this device:

wifi-alarm-for-night-monitoring
a-frightening-experience-at-sleepaway-camp

3 Likes